Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I was hoping that this would be the bike fore me but it is not! I took it out fro a good ride and after 2 hrs plus my back and leg started to hurt. I guess if I can't ride this for a good distance there is not a bike out there for me! I bought 4 new J&M speakers for it and 2 New Gates timing belts also. I will be selling it so if anyone is interested let me know. I want to get $6800.00 for it to cover what I have bought and what I have invested in it. It has less than 31000 miles new front tire, new front brakes, new plugs and plug wires, new windshield.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Nice ride at a fair price. You probably won't have it for long.

Question, when you were riding, did you stop for breaks at all? It is unbelievable what a difference a5 minute stop every 1 - 1 1/2 hours makes to riding comfort. It also helps to condition yourself to riding long distance by building up to it. Another thing you might consider is some different cruise pegs. Where your boards are wouldn't work well for me. I couldn't stretch out on them. There are a lot of options and I will likely go with Mick-O-Pegs when I can afford them.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.
John

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I did not stop for any breaks and I do have the floorboards that connect to the engine guards as seen in the pictures. I wanted to be able to take rides with some of the guys around here and they only stop for gas and so on. They went on a ride and the first stop was at 3 hrs for gas, drink and a walk around. I really thought it would work thats why I bought the speakers and timing belts already. I'm BUMMED!!!!

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Someone is going to get a good deal. That is a nice clean bike for sure. If I was in the market, I'd be all over it.

Jluvs2dive makes some good points though. How much of a chance have you given it? Even after a long winter of not riding, I have to "recondition" myself a bit for the long rides. And the little breaks do help.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

I ride a lot and 3 hours is a bit much for me. Try shorter stretches between "stretches". It makes a world of difference. Don't give up so easily. Your buds must not be very understanding if they are not willing to stop a bit more often. But if you do decide to give it up, I have a friend that is looking to a good bike at a good price.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

whitlow wrote:
I did not stop for any breaks and I do have the floorboards that connect to the engine guards as seen in the pictures. I wanted to be able to take rides with some of the guys around here and they only stop for gas and so on. They went on a ride and the first stop was at 3 hrs for gas, drink and a walk around. I really thought it would work thats why I bought the speakers and timing belts already. I'm BUMMED!!!!
Yeah I saw your highway boards. I was just saying in the position they are in, they would not do me much good. I of course have no idea how your built so they may be setup just right for you. I was just saying that proper placement of highway boards or pegs is important to long distance riding for most.

As for your riding friends, if my friends wouldn't stop when I wanted or needed to I would find new friends to ride with. :) So far with all the people I've ridden with, that really hasn't been much of an issue. It doesn't cost them much to stop for 5 minutes an hour.

Again I wish you all the best in whatever you decide.:)

John

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Hey, Buddy..... don't rush into selling it.... experiment a little first........

There are some things that will make a world of difference: a different seat, maybe, or maybe even justa seat pad or sheepskin, but one of the best things you can do is get a pair of Mick-O-Pegs. These are highway pegs that allow you to stretch your legs down instead of up and out....... wonderful things.... bit spendy..... but worth every dollar. Look here......

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/

Get together with some of the old hands on here and have them critique your riding position. They may see something that isn't apparent to you..... don't sell.... not yet!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,720 Posts
imported post

I rode my bike everyday, and I can tell you that 3 hours at a stretch w/o stoping is ridiculous.

Your friends need to adjust their riding habits. I make it a rule to stop every 90 minutes at most, get off, swing my arms around and take a short walk. that way, you can do some mini exercises, roll your back around.

that is a gorgeous bike, I think that you just need to take a bit of time to adjust to long distance riding. I can ride all day long, and not feel like I got beat up. My bike was a '94 SE in red, but trimmed just like the beauty you have.

I would love to have your bike, but really, you ought to give it a chance. There is no better over the road bike than the 1500.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I do a lot of solo riding. On longer rides, which is very seldom, I usually stop around 125 miles. Most of my rides are 20-40 minutes.

GWs are the most comfortable touring bike, IMO.

You have the highway boards, and back rest which should make cruising/touring a little easier. Three hours islong.

I like short rides 20-60 miles. My buddy seems like he never rides, but he does cross country tours and then racks up the miles. Everyone has their own preferences for riding styles

Unless you really do not want the bike, I would think about changing your riding style that would still meet your satisfaction.

It is a great bike. Great price, great low mileage. Keep it.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

Unless you’re very young or well seasoned 3 hours is too long without a break. What’s the point of riding unless you are enjoying yourself? I think that stopping about every 100 miles is a good rule.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

i found that on my 1500 if i ride without my back rest my back hurts after i am done riding but if i leave it in im good to go

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I am going to toss my vote in for the 100 mile rule. We went 420 miles on Saturday, followed that rule, when we got home we could have went another 420. I'd do some experimenting with your highway board placement/angles, etc. and you might even remove the backrest, some free things to try before giving up. And yeah your buddies need to realize just because you have one of the best touring bikes out there, doesnt mean you cant stop once in a while. Also agree on the "reconditioning" statement by winger77.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

My ride was 2 hrs and as you can see in the pictures I have a really nice back rest. I'm torn about selling it because it is such a nice bike. But I woke up today with my back still not feeling well. I love the radio and cruise control it is a great bike and wish I was in better condition. I have had back problems for over 25 years and one surgery.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

I agree 3 hours is way too much time without a break,I ride year round but mostly just short trips in the winter and I have to build up(my body,my butt) for the longer riding season.
I have a bad back and I have had the same thoughts as you on a couple of bikes I have bought,but I rode them and my body got used to them after a while and now I love them and they don't hurt me anymore.
So don't give up,keep the bike you will adjust to it in time.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

I just rode 125 miles 2 days ago and yesterday my back was still hurting,but what I done was,My back rest had came lose and I adjusted my back rest too far forward.
Big mistake for me,I adjusted it back to where it was and everything is fine now.

Just by looking at your picture,it looks like your back rest is leaning forward and thats a no no for a bad back,adjust it so you can feel the bottom of the backrest against your back.

If it won't go back enough you may have to pull the seat and adjust it even further back.

Thats all it was on mine was the top hitting my back and not the bottom and itliked to have killed me.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

You'll not find a more comfortable long distance or even short trip bike. I'd give it the rest of the Summer tosee if you couldn't come up with a cure for you back situation. Maybe handlebar risers? I doubt that another bike give will give you any more comfort. If you give up on it now, you'll regret it later. JMHO.

Roryrob

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear it did not work out for you. Is it the position of the legs?

As somebody said before..... you'll make a new owner very happy..... but if you (or someone over here) could find a way....................

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I have adjusted the back rest from what it looks like in the picture I know that there is not a bike out there as nice a Goldwing! I can't believe how nice it handles and rides they are GREAT!

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

Measuring in miles doesn't always give you an Idea of when it is time to stop.
100 miles of stop and go,curves senic riding,etc. is a whole lot harder on the body than 100 miles of interstate.

Believe me,I know what your talking about with the bad back,I got hurt 20 years ago and had 1 surgery,I've been living in pain 24/7 for the last 20 years.....

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You will be surprised how much difference a small change in handlebar height makes up or down. A half inch can be amazing.
Also don't resist the idea of the Mick o pegs.

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.