Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone planning to attend NASSIR7 already knows about "The Dragon" and the Cherohala Skyway :banana:, but you need to know there are many more great day rides once those have been thoroughly explored.

I live in Madison, Ga, a short 75 mile ride to some of the finest twisties the southern Appalachians have to offer. For three of the last four Saturdays, along with a fellow Wing Man I pick up an hour north of here, we've had the joy and pleasure of renewing our acquaintance with some of these fine roads.

Most people have heard of "Moonshine 28", ever heard of a stop near Walhalla called Stumphouse Mtn?

How about Ga 197 that runs between Clarkesville, Ga and US 76. Be sure to make a stop at Mark of the Potter and feed the fish.

The road between Hiawassee and Helen has great steep sweeping sharp turns. After lunching in Helen, return north via the Richard Russell Scenic Hwy. You may want to take a side trip to Brasstown Bald.

Don't forget, as long as you're in the neighborhood, to ride up to Gatlinburg through the Great Smokey Mtn National Park, or my favorite cycling road of all time, the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Each adventure leads to the discovery of future rides. There are, I'm sure a few hundred more that could be added to this short list, but the point is that once you get to the area, you should be able to put a hurt on your sidewalls if you're into that sort of thing...:jumper:

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
A couple years ago Dust Boots and I left Tellico and went down to Atlanta to visit with Rudy for a couple of hours. When we left, we headed north through the Chattahoochee National Forest. Rout 60 through the forest is probably one of the best roads I have ever ridden out in that area. The only difference between Rt 60 and the Dragon is 60 is longer, 60 crosses a mountain, and there is no store at the end of the road so there is a lot less traffic. And the views, the greenery is just fantastic!!

We stopped in Blue Ridge and had a nice buffet dinner lake side, Great food and a Great price!!!

Never discount the roads in North Georgia.......... You'd be missing a great ride!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
Yes, GA 60 is a great run and it ends near Helen GA and jumping off on 160 takes you up to Vogel State Park which is another nice run section.
Leaving Helen up GA 17/75 to GA 76 near Hiawasee is kind of fun as well. Steep mountain climbing twisties a lot of the way with flying traffic and overheated vehicles around the next bend for added fun challenges.
Also the highest point in GA, Brasstown Bald is a steep if not scary ride up to within a few hundred yards of the visitor lookout on top (in case you need to stretch your legs).
But 60 is easily my favorite part of it.
Here it is in the fall...

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
We have a daughter and son-in-law living near Atlanta so we're down there often and are not strangers to the N. Georgia roads.
Like also Warwoman Rd east out of Clayton. :claps:
And, of course, there is always Wayah Rd in NC. :shock:

Man O Man, can hardly wait to get down there again. :jumper:
thecruiser

BTW, beautiful picture Rudy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.