Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was on reserve as I pulled into the gas station and decided to keep her running while I fueled up.

I proceded to fill the tank as I felt the bike raise RPM pretty high. I stop pumping and the engine settled back to 1100RPm. Pump again and she started up to about 3000 rpm. I know the force must have pushed more fuel in and wonder if there is any way to use that as an advantage. Sure more uel will be consumed but the power increase may be worth while.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

The fumes from the gas was sucked thru the air cleaner enriching the mixture causing a rise in RPMs. I don't think I would ever let my motorcycle run while fueling it. Too many horrible things that could go wrong. Be safe and shut it down so we can rest easier knowing you are safe.:)

Bernie

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

thats for sure---all it takes is one little spark in the wrong place --- then your looking at a differnt bike-- a well done one . let alone the gas station . be safe !!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

Speaking of thirsty, I was up in the Adarondack Mtns. cruising around and she stated chugging from low fuel so turned on the reserve and drove 39 miles before I found a gas station. She took 4.9 gals, MAN that was close. I've never ran out of gas on my wing since I got her new in 81 and I hope I never do in the future.

·
Banned
1,204 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
I was on reserve as I pulled into the gas station and decided to keep her running while I fueled up.

I proceded to fill the tank as I felt the bike raise RPM pretty high. I stop pumping and the engine settled back to 1100RPm. Pump again and she started up to about 3000 rpm. I know the force must have pushed more fuel in and wonder if there is any way to use that as an advantage. Sure more uel will be consumed but the power increase may be worth while.
Why would you fuel your bike while it is running? Not a good idea. There is another way to increase the RPM's on your bike. Twist the throttle.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Congrats, you experiencedthe "Fish Carburetor" principle.:clapper:

Happy schwimming.;)

YIKE'rz... Run while fueling??? Start carrying a mini fire extinguisher.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

:shock:Wow, 121 miles per gallon. Amazing. you realize how far we could ride and for how much.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Yeah i know you did not start this thread to be bashed about running while refueling, but it has turned into that i guess:D so i will join in:cheeky1:
This is what your bike could look like , this is my 2007 Yamaha V-Star

No, it did not happen while refueling, i was just driving down the road and it quit and caught on fire, but imagine if you added a pump flowing 8gpm to it!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I have to apoligize if it seemed I was bashing a fellow forum member. My only concern is for his safety and others that may be close to him. As a formor Jet engine mech. I have been completely engulfed in flames from an engine that caught on fire because someone forgot to tighten the bolts holding the 3 inch fuel line to the fuel control. I was blessed that I received no burns from that episode. A TR-6 I was rebuilding also caught on fire in my garage several years ago. Quick thinking saved me, and our house but not the car.

No bashing here, just past experience to keep my forum friends safe!:) Ride safe and be safe!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I was in a rush, didnt even hop off the bike just grabbed and fueled. When I say rush i mean it behooved me to get home quick due to circumstances,
Anyway .Thanks for the poking I guess I needed it

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

POKING?

Hopefuly you noticed no one RANTED on yah like some do,was general kidding & pointers.

Best thing is your OK.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,783 Posts
imported post

The main thing is, you will still be able to ride yet another day.

And, most likely will not refuel with a hot engine while it is running.
:bowing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.