Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My drug of choice.....

2K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Dubswing 
#1 ·
Good motorcycles are powerfully addictive...and I think the reason is because, like drugs, they seem to make you more than you are. Faster, more powerful, "able to leap buildings in a single bound!" Good motorcycles provide the illusion, at least, of total freedom and power... You can change horizons as fast as you can twist the throttle; you can cross continents, rolling across borders like an unstoppable storm; you can literally extend "yourself" for hundreds and hundreds of miles.... Thousands, really, to be honest.... Those of us born to the wheel know how addictive they are, and we are good with it. This is an addiction I don't want cured! No sir!

The photo below, taken on the Seward Highway in Alaska, 2005, our second trip up, is kinda how I feel about all motorcycles on nearly all days! I love the damn things; I will ride them until I die, or until I can no longer hold one up....and then I'll bolt on a sidecar and ride until I die! If Heaven hasn't got good motorcycles, than why is it called Heaven? I pity people who don't ride...how do they live, and why? Rubber down, my Buckoes! And keep that white line running!

See less See more
#3 ·
My drug of choice is learning and learning and motorcycles go hand in hand. If you don't learn you're going to get hurt.

Cars tend to put you into a cocoon, isolated from the smells and sounds around you. Air conditioning, heaters, rubber seals and sound-proofing isolate you from the real world. We travel from brick and mortar home cages to concrete and steel work cages via metal transportation cages.

Is it any wonder that so many have lost touch with reality?

#14 ·
I plan on getting a Mazda Miata soon. I have to slow my riding down a bit, due to health problems. And that air conditioning you mentioned can actually become a necessity when the temperature is around 120 degrees. With a convertible you can have it both ways. Especially a small agile sports car.

#6 ·
You have more drugs of choice than that.......

Come on, your holding out on us........

Your other drug of choice is the partner who supports you and helps you partake in your drug of choice............

#8 ·
Odd you should say this... because I have often likened my bikes to similar attributes. Once I was sitting on the Valk and my nearest sister was admiring the rig. She said something to the effect of, "You have always liked motorcycles." I remember commenting... "No... it's not really the bikes I like, it's where they take me. The bikes are just a delivery tool... it's more like the relationship between a junkie and his syringe."

The bike is just a delivery device...

T

#9 ·
For sure, motorcycles are second only to airplanes. I can't afford flying machines anymore so I'm happily twisting the grip on my Goldwing.

#10 ·

I've seen a LOT of bike pictures, that this one has got to be THE best ever!!! :ROFL:

This picture has meaning!

#11 ·
I have soared on the wings of a single engine bird. Climbed and dove, crossed horizon after horizon. Watched the sun bounce from silver wings, fog roll through obscure valleys, followed pristine streams to their trail head. Yet the motorcycle gives me so much more. The sun on my back, a stiff breeze in my face. Even the sting of summer rain on naked flesh. Nothing else moves me the way a bike does. I will ride until He deems otherwise. I'm sure there will be motorcycles in Heaven, good men to ride them with the time and the roads that have no match as we now know them.
I'm on your page Mel! I know what you feel inside; the love, the desire the thrill!
Dubs

#12 ·
One of the reasons that CJ posts things like this is to provoke thought and comment and he does an excellent job of it. While I totally agree with his "drug of choice" and I also agree with Jobe05 and his 2nd drug of choice, I would also maintain that there are a couple more items that may fit into this category as well!!

First... his pic brought this pic to mind...arrival in Port Orchard WA for NASSIR 4

Then my other drug of choice is traveling/camping with my daughter via motorcycle...also Port Ocrchard NASSIR 4 (notice CJ and Sandy in the background getting ready to enjoy some grub)!

and then a similar situation with my grand daughter! This one in Tellico Plains TN last weekend!!

#13 ·
For fathers day, Wife and I went to see my daughter 110 mi away. Forecast was gloomy, so we used the caged transportation device. I really don't want to get stuck driving the bike through rain.
The entire ride back, I was kinda grumbling to myself about how the weather ended up being just fine and a ride on the bike would have been perfect.:needahug:

So the OP has it spot on.

#16 ·
I sure hope so Bernie, it's always a pleasure to ride with you!!!

#17 ·
Yeah, we like riding with crazy ol' Dubswing, too, poor little homely sucker....

gotta watch him though....as a safety instructor, he tries to point out all your bad riding habits without you knowing that he's doing it, like all honest people, he can't lie and he's about as secretive as Madonna! But be careful, he'll try and get you all fat with good food, never letting you pay, and then he'll steal and hide your keys to get you in trouble with your wife! Dastardly guy!

#18 ·
My son Timmy really took to ol' Dubs when we all rode together last year, even to the point that he felt comfortable enough to take Dubs Keys when he was almost not looking...... and while we were were working on his Valk on the side of the road, Timmy took one for the Ol' fella and hooked up with an 89 year old lady who kidnapped him under the pretense that she had the fuel line Dubs needed to fix his bike back up at her place, so Tim went up there with her............ We still laugh at those mailboxes when we drive by them..............

Timmy learned a lot riding with Bernie, he really enjoyed it.

#19 ·
I am overwhelmed at the show of affection from my riding friends! I can say for a fact that I would ride with all of you anytime any where! Those youg boys became special to me as we rode together and became friends. I did like seeing Mel "sweat" when Sandy asked him for her car keys and he didn't have them! I hope you started paying more attention to what you are doing after leaving those keys on a bench at the county clerk's office, Mel! Timmy thought I didn't see him pull the keys out of the Valk and I surprised him when I walked over and asked for them back. That was a weekend ride to remember! As was the time Mel and Sandi visited with me for a few days! Fond memories that I hope we all can discuss again sometime! If we are lucky enough to sit together at dinner again, I just want you fellers know that I will be drinking "water" or tea this time!
Dubs

#20 ·
If we are lucky enough to sit together at dinner again, I just want you fellers know that I will be drinking "water" or tea this time!
Dubs
Good idea Bernie!!! :D

#21 ·
I did OK the next morning, John! Or at least I thought I did! What a night that was! Four Martinis that night! I realized that night I had to give up drinking or loose so much including, possibly, my life!
One of the things I hope Timmy and Jonathan didn't learn from me was how to drink!
Oh, Almost forgot, I had a colonoscopy yesterday and got some terrible news! I have to wait another ten years before I get to have another one! Woe is me!!!
Dubs

#22 ·
Luckily Timmy isn't as easily swayed as most teens his years. He appreciates the fact that I treat him like an adult, and if he acts likes an adult and is being responsible, I'll let him have a drink, a beer or a glass of wine, however as anyone that has been with me will tell you, I will not drink, not one small drink and ride a motorcycle..... Not one drink!! And fortunately, Tim is the same way, for that, I wouldn't change what I do for anything.

Timmy liked it when you took the time to teach him those little techniques of driving or those radius lines in the curves on the Cherohala, he strives off that stuff.

As far as the Colonoscopy............ Go ahead and have a few to many drinks again......... Araingements will be made on the spot.......

(Oh yea....... It's Jayson...........Not Jonathan.........)

#24 ·
I do apologize, it is Jason, so sorry. Both wonderful young men their fathers can be proud of! John will have to find another unsuspecting drinker to practice on. No more for me! Although a well made martini is hard to beat, four is just way too many! So, I gave it up, even though I never drank and rode, mornings are so much better now!
I like practicing different entry points to curves, no one is correct. They all depend on the terrain, road condition, traffic and other variables to watch for. The secret is being able to use the right one as soon as you see it. And just like flying, I practice my riding skills everytime I ride. This doesn't make me the best rider in the world, it just makes me confident in my abilities, to understand them and be a safer more courteous rider because of it!
Dubs

#25 ·
I honestly did not know you had 4, I wasn't counting but your actions certainly didn't let on that you had more than you could reasonably handle........ I mean...... You were still able to dance very well..........

#26 ·
Sorry CJ, we sure have managed to hyjack this thread!!

You didn't have to practically carry Bernie up the hill to the cabin!!!

#27 ·
I only stepped on her toes three times! Good thing she had on steel toed shoes! And I do not remember anyone carrying me up the hill to the cabin! Actually, I was dancing rather nicely until someone stepped on my hand!
I had two with dinner and two on the porch!
Dubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.