Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone!

Here is my finished 79 1000. It runs (just off idle) way better with premium gas in it. I finally relented and put in new points and a condensor and finished balancing the carbs a final time (only using two gauges- what a pain...) after a total rebuild and big polishing job.

I've got a very nice new/used rim and a new Spitefire II left to install on the rear. It is like new and should add more shine- yeah bling-bling- to the rear. My current rim runs out side to side more than 1/2 inch in total.

At 0 degrees C it fires right up on first crank without quitting every morning. It is stiff and really handles well. HD fork oil made a big change from ATF.

I haven't worked our the mileage exactly, but it is getting close to 50 miles to the gallon!!

I put a 100 Spitfire II front on it and it steers quicker than the old Yokohama did.

The old panels with the factory paint were really dinged up and a digital camera made the GL look better than in real life. The new paint job will not get pin stripped, and I did use a color that I like- non stock. It is the color that the Copperhead truck on the Trucks TV show was finished in. My local aftermarket auto shop called PPG and got the mix instructions right from head office.

Thanks to everyone again for all of the help!

Attachments

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Super job! She really looks nice. :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
imported post

:clapper:Looks Great, Love the orange paint.

Jerry

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

You did a great job,,

Dean

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Looks great Jim! You did a great job.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

sweet as a nut:clapper:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey jimchristiansen :waving: You did a super job on that bike. I couldn't have done it better myself. :clapper: She looks real cool. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

looks great I still have my '78 which I bought brand new. I think you can still find replacment electronic ignitions for them and I have NEVER regretted getting ride of the points and condensors nearly 25 years ago.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

TOP OF THE DAY TO YOU RED WING

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks Vic and Everyone,

Yes, it surprises me with the final snap up to 8000 and 9000- You gota hold on and practice lots of restraint after 1st gear!

If I get my butt of the seat to the inside on corners the thing doesn't drag and I can actually speed up 15 or 20 km/hr.

I did get a nice pair of leather saddlebags, but they just don't sit well hanging on the rear... Oh well.

My local bike shop suggested that I run the rear at 36 pounds but what do you guys think? - Seems like a lot of psi to me... maybe 32 or 33??

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

That is one sweet restoration... I'm impressed...:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.