Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
BigDogDaddeeoh
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, Here's what she looks like so far. I'm following the advice as I find it here. Ready to do the fork seals. Anything else I should do to it while it's this far apart? The tank has just a little rust - I know how to handle that - thanks the forum. I broke my first item - cracked the instrument panel lens as I was removing the fairing. Anyone know a good source for replacement?

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

It looks like you are already well into the job, and with so much stripped out you will be able to inspect individual parts.
The instrument cover can be found cheap on ebay.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome to the Furom. How about some more details about the bike, mileage, condition, problems, etc. ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

If not already done, resolve any problems with the charging circuit. If you are doing a classic restoration make sure the stator and reg rec are A-1.

If you plan on riding a lot you might want to consider a poorboy conversion.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

bearings in the triple tree? Open and clean every connector, grounds.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

You are well into the teardown already, so I hope this advice isn't too late. Take pictures. Lots of pictuers of every part from every angle before, during and after you pull it off. When it comes to reassembly, you'll thank yourself!

Bag 'emand tag 'em! Keep all nuts, bolts, washers, grommets, etc together with the parts they were used on. Have a corner of the garage where you put ALL parts so you don't have to go hunting all over the place to find that thingy that went right there!

I don't know how many times I planned to do a quick job only to be interuped and not get back to it for a few weeks. By then, my Bruce's Himers will have kicked in and I won't remember where I stashed the parts, the fittings or have a clue how things went back together!

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

What were we talling about??

Yes dear, I'd like syrup on my pancakes...

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

A BIG 10-4 on OldSchool post,mine was apart for months and bagging and marking parts made it a lot easier,as i suffer from sometimers also. :doh:

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I think you are going to need a motor, rear wheel, and some of the plastics :)

How about belts, hoses, rewire around the stator connector, all this you probably have already read about.

·
BigDogDaddeeoh
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I feel so cared about. OK it's an '85 interstate with 27K miles. I picked it up for $500 and it came with a motor - as well as all the other parts missing from the photo - now stacked in my loft and YES the smaller parts are tagged and bagged. The camera sits atop the tool box and gets plenty of exercise. Previous owner last registered it in '03. It went into his garage 8 years ago because the stator went out. SO I knew that going into it. He turned over the starter for me to add some more assurance to what I already suspected was a very good deal.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you did good to me ! And you have a nice winter project.:claps::claps::claps: Will be watching if you keep us posted as you go,and be of any help if i can .

Jim

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Real good, kinda hard to believe stator out at that mileage, but your already there now, but I think I would do a little testing before I changed it.:applause:

Ben

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Hey hunter27h

Looks like you are just down the road a bit (sorry to get off the thread a bit ).

Jim

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Wow, nice find. Welcome! +1 on stator out already.. pretty low mileage for that i would think. Maybe 3 yellow wires prob. You are gonna love this ride!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,646 Posts
imported post

That's about when my first stator let go. Still, as the others say..."check it"...and if you need to replace it, don't buy junk.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looks like a pretty good deal to me, I bought several 1100s a few years ago when I had my shop and did restoration work on them. One of them I did a complete strip down to the frame rebuild. It's a lengthy job but well worth doing. One thing that really makes them look good is to strip everything down, clean the black painted parts and shoot a fresh coat on them, paint the engine, and buff up all the bolts and nuts. The aluminum parts respond nicely to a buffing wheel and will look like chrome when polished. There's not much that looks greater than a vintage bike that's been restored and these are bikes well worth restoring, more than 26 years old and still a great road bike. Hard to beat that.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Welcome. And enjoy your project. Getting an old Goldwing back into running and ridable condition is NOT an easy thing to do, I'm just finishing one up, I had it stripped down to the frame and engine. Mine is an '85 fuel injected LTD, which made it much harder to find parts for. In fact I had to make some of my own. It can be fun, but it will also try your patience and can get very frustrating. Best thing to do when that happens is to give it up for awhile, then go back to it. Serious mistakes can happen when you get really frustrated.

Since you have an '85, first thing I would check is the right side bearing on the rear wheel. Many '83,'84,and'85 models had defective rear wheels from the factory, and not all of them got fixed. Mine was one of those. I had to replace the rear wheel with an '86/'87 wheel.

·
BigDogDaddeeoh
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I borrowed an impact wrench and got the screws out of the stator this morning. I could put a FLUKE meter on it just for kicks - BUT I already ordered the new stator and besides the old one looks fried. Previous owner had a shop invoice showing that the stator wires had been redone - no connector - he said it ran for a bit that way but eventually went. Sooooo.... But all the ideas are really making me think and learn as I go.

·
BigDogDaddeeoh
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Paint the engine?? There's not much oxidation on the engine. What kind of buffing wheel should I start with. It sure would be an easy time to get that looking pretty since it's sitting high and proud on the stand that formerly held my drill press - not sure which was heavier - the drill press or the motor - YIKES. I have a vibratory bowl coming from HF - thinking that all the bolts will go in there with the crushed walnuts that a friend has left over from his 240Z restore.

·
BigDogDaddeeoh
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

nobbie: poorboy conversion???

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

No way, you got the stator out, keep it original:action:

Ben