Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought my first Honda, a Honda 50 in September 1966. It had a top speed of 42 m.p.h.; got a 128 miles to the gallon, and cost $28 a year to insure. I put 4,000 miles on it during a typically wet British Columbia (Fraser Valley) winter.

I had more fun on that bike than any of the 18 Hondas I've had since...is my memory playing tricks, or do you guys feel the same way about your first bike?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

My first was a 1969 Honda 50 as well, bought secondhand in 1973 from an uncle who had just got a new Honda 90. Those were the days, £12.56 insurance (my weekly wages were only £7 though). Petrol about 35p a gallon.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

I learned this summer in three days on a Honda 120 (belonging to the organization offering the course) and went out and bought an Aspencade. Talk about skipping a few stepping stones!:shock:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

mjpliv wrote:
I learned this summer in three days on a Honda 120 (belonging to the organization offering the course) and went out and bought an Aspencade. Talk about skipping a few stepping stones!:shock:

That's ok, that's what the engine guards are for. Just take it easy, drive where the traffic is light for a while. Go to a parking lot and pratice emergency stopping on the big bike. Have a friend help you put the bike down gently on the guards, and see if you can pick it up by yourself.When you can,, your ready. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

You guys bring back good memorie1 I bought a "Honda Super 90" in 1966, man I was proud of that little bike! But I use to drewl over those "305 Scramblers" with those loud pipes !! My brother had a "305 Dream at the time, then he bought a "650 bonneville Triumph", that seemed like a huge monster bike to me!! Those were the days!!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Steve the Wingnut and me both bought CD175s at the same time (1975 I think) as our first bikes. Mine was a 73 model (0-60 in an hour, mediocre brakes and soft suspension) and Steves was the earlier 1969 model (much faster, better brakes & suspension because of the pressed steel frame, nice electric starter). The CD175 was a typical case of Honda taking a step backward with the new model. The older one didn't look as modern, but boy did it shift and I mean an electric kicker on a 175 in those days...
Good times all right. First insurance was I think about £60 (apprentice wages about £10 a week).

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

First bike,Honda CD 175, metalic blue, big crash bars, white leg protectors, big white top box.....it was the business. 1975.(T Rex,Slade,Sweet,Suzi Quatro...) Big helmet, oversize wellies in the rain...drum brakes,kickstart,giant windscreen...80mpg...life was so simple...then I saw a CB200,no stopping me since...still... 29 years later I am still on a Honda...a little larger than a 175 though..

Thanks for the memories guys...

Steve18

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Martin brings back memories with that. The CD175 I had (metallic green, electric start) ended up being totalled by a taxi driver who drove through a stop sign and hit me. So I ended up buying a 1973 one as well because I couldn't get another old type (they were in great demand) so I had to put up with the 1973 slug. Guess what, it had the crashbars, white legshield things we used to buy in Mountjoy MCs for a couple of quid, and a windshield as well! I did miss the electric start. Second hand red helmet, new Barbour jacket and a tin of wax to spread on it (that stuff gets all over the place) and Derri boots that made your feet sweat every time you put them on.

Innocent days and all great fun. £60.41 insurance that got dearer the following year even though I'd passed the riding test (and they wonder why most Irish bikers ride on provisionals, when there is no incentive), petrol I guess around 50p a gallon. Can't post a picture just yet as my sister nabbed all the pictures from those days. I'll have to arrange to borrow one back at some stage.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

Honda 90 (the old type that looked like a real bike) bought from a cousin in the mid 60s. Really cool for a teenager back then. Red of course and I had it for almost 20 years (other bikes as well but I kept the 90 out of nostalgia) before giving it to a nephew. He still has it and it runs well, but he rarely uses it now. Nice to know its still around though.

Good topic this, glad it was started. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

$499 for an S90 in 66-still one of the prettiest bikes I ever saw...glad to hear that your old one is still chugging.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

That brings back memories for meDean. My dad had one of those S90's for years. Bought it around 1967 and rode it to work and back every day until he retired in 1991! I had 29000 miles when he retired, as he only used the bike for work (2 miles each way to the Semperit tyre factory) and he used the car for everything else.

I always remember the smell of the bike whil it stood in the hall of our house.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Well lads ,I must be the odd ball :?,I had a honda 50 sports ,it was like the honda 90 with the tank in between your legs and did I do some posing on that one ,then my second honda I bought in 1969 it was a Honda CB 160 .yes I did say a cb 160 ,even back then it was a rare piece ,it was an english import with high bars and upswept pipes ,reg number was BED 168C ,and then just to stay being the odd ball I bought a honda 175 but this one was metallic charcoal in 1971,,I had a lot of bikes in between and since ,I currently have an 1800 in the fastest colours ..red ...,but just to digress a little ,I remember my father bringing me to a football match when I was about 8 yrs old on the carrier of his NSU 50 cc,and it had pedals to assist going up hills ,it was raining and my job as chief passanger was to hold the umbrella up over the 2 of us as we travelled at high speeds of almost 15 MPH:gunhead: ,to keep us dry ,,OH boy ,am I getting old ?But now when I look back ,we really did have fun then ..the simple pleasures of lif:waving::waving:..cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

well well ,

i must be the kid of the bunch . just found myself thinking that i havent been biking that long cos i got my first bike at 25 you see i was never really a bike fan so i got myself a CBR250 RR( very sporty) for work of course i got the bug soon enough and i just realised that was nearly 11 years ago :X. i went everywhere on that bike , saw one the other day god it was small or have i gotten bigger :(:(

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwings seem to do that to a person. Just today I wasnoticing how scrawny a Harley Sportster looks. When Igot my Goldwing I thought I'd want to find a 250cc bike for running errands, but now that I've put 5000 miles onthe Green Machineover thepastsix months, it really doesn't feel all that big and heavy anymore. Pussycat in the parking lots.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

This topic got the old grey matter thinking, my first bike in 1972was an NSU Quickly 50cc, then a Honda 50 on which I passed my test ( three times around the blockthen stop when you saw the examiner standing in the road) onto a 350 triple yam, part ex for CB500 four. Time out for five years when three mates lot their lives in three separate accidents, not one of the accidents was their fault. Purchased a 1100 Pan loved it, now my pride and joy 1997 1500 wing, until next spring when I hope my good lady will take a reduction in house keeping and allow an 1800 into our lives.

Mike

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I'm guessing that the Isle Of Man provides a lot of great windy roads.:clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
imported post

Hi Dean

Thats what makes the Isle of man the 'Road racing capital of the world' We have no speed limit out side the built up areas. But remarkable the serious accident rate is no greater than the UK.

I always look forward to riding my :15red:eek:n longer stretches of road in the uk, looking forward to touring Spain next summer.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.