Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am planning my first long distance trip to Ohio from Tallahassee FL this Labor day week. I want to travel light and plan to stay at hotels until I learn the best way to camp with a motorcycle. I plan on riding on highways about 70% of the time to help with time and distance. I do want to ride the Blue Ridge parkway on the way up and maybe Deals gap on the way back.

I am open to comments, suggesting, recommendations and meet ups.

·
Bruce County Boy/Snowbird
1,707 Posts
imported post

I hope Longboater from Longboat Key chimes in here. he makes the trip from Fla. to Michigan several times a year. I am sure he could give you some helpful pointers for the trip. I will PM him this thread.:congrats:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Hawggy wrote:
I hope Longboater from Longboat Key chimes in here. he makes the trip from Fla. to Michigan several times a year. I am sure he could give you some helpful pointers for the trip. I will PM him this thread.:congrats:
Looks like that six years old has a good grasp of the Hawggy routine, eh.

Welcome to the best Goldwing site offering good quality confusion ChaosandConfusion. Somehow I think you will fit right in.:ROFL::ROFL:

OK running from FL to OH and still have some fun. See if the below fits into your scheme of things:
Take 61/319 out of Tall. up to Tifton I-75 N, to (Macon) I-16 E to US 129 N to 129 / 441 to 441/ 23 to Dillard, GA. Take 106 E to Highlands, NC (great little town) to 64 W to 23 / 441 N again to 74 E to I-40 W and connecting with I-75 N at Knoxville for an Iron Butt to OH.

From Macon to Knoxville the roads are mostly a mix bag of 4,3 & 2 lane roads, however very good roads allowing for speed + limits. You will be country riding at it's best running through little towns and such. This is my main route from Sarasota to Detroit when not ironButting 19.5 hrs. through Atlanta. I usually stay in Highlands but there are many other great towns.

Looking at the map you will also note this route is almost a straight line from Tallahassee through GA to Knoxville and up, leaving Atlanta far to the west. Once you get into the NC / TN area you have a multitude of mystery trips at your disposal including Blue Ridge.

Go through Highlands and take 64w with camera ready (mini canyon), stopping at the Dry Falls. You are supposed to be able to walk behind the falls.

I don't know where your destination is in OH, but there could be more options than I-75.

Have a safe trip and watch for the big animals and wet leaves this time of year too.
Ned

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I agree with Longboater's route. But if you want the BRP then take I-40 till it crosses. You can take the BRP to I-77 which will take you through W. Va. to Ohio.

The ride through West Virgina can be a pretty ride in itself with the tunnels and mountains.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I was thinking of getting off I-75 N at Macon, GA and taking highway 23/441 up to Sylva NC. I was thinking after 440 mi I would get a room in Sylva and in the morning drive the 330 mi of the BRP to I-77. I may stop there and get a room before driving the 400 mi on I-77 to Akron.

I haven’t yet ruffed out the return trip but I think three days back would be a good ride.

Thanks for your help. If anything, this should be an interesting ride.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I've been there, but don't remember the route. I have ridden to 37 states so far. Unfortunately it is unlikely I will ever get to all 48 (Alaska is out of the question, and bikes don't float) as my health is slowly deteriorating, and I am riding less and less.

As far as packing, I took only what I actually needed, actually more for the bike than me. I took a lot of emergency stuff, tools, cell phone, camera, water, something to fix flats was an absolute necessity. If you are going to stay in motels, then you don't need camping gear, and the fact is, a KOA campground can cost half as much or more than a Motel 6. I took one change of clothes, personal items, and the rest I buy along the way. I was always on a budget, and ate at fast food places. Motels have laundries and showers, if your roughing it, truckstops do too.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

ChaosandConfusion wrote:
I was thinking of getting off I-75 N at Macon, GA and taking highway 23/441 up to Sylva NC. I was thinking after 440 mi I would get a room in Sylva and in the morning drive the 330 mi of the BRP to I-77. I may stop there and get a room before driving the 400 mi on I-77 to Akron.

I haven’t yet ruffed out the return trip but I think three days back would be a good ride.

Thanks for your help. If anything, this should be an interesting ride.
Sounds like a great plan, go 4 it. You will see great country and will want to go back, so take an Atlas for documentation. Write all those notes on each map so the next trips review will become fresh and do it all over again with a new atlas. $7-8 at AAA with membership. Walley's place has them too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.