Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

YEAH...hi guys. My 83 GL110 handlebars are a little out of line. The seem to be pointed a little left when the wheel is straight, but i can ride it fine. How can i adjust this? any ideas? The manual doesnt say how to straighten the bars.:yelling:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

It sounds like either the bars are bent or one of the fork tubes is bent. There is no steering adjustment for the bars. If you loosen the clamps the bars can slide side-to-side or rotate fore and aft.
(Do you know if the bike has been dropped or been in an accident?)

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,756 Posts
imported post

I think if the forks are mis-aligned it can cause that. Loosen all the bolts that hold the forks and wheel including the fender and and fork braces,except the upper triple clamp bolt.

Put the front wheel against a 4X4 or larger and compress the forkes a few times. Do not hold the brake.

Then,torque every bolt from the top down, being careful not to move the fork alignment.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

When I first got my bike I had the same problem. I had gotten used to it, but eventually I took the time to remove the handlebars completely (not hard to do...) and laid them on a worktable and immediately found they wouldn't lay flat due to being bent. They were further off than I thought.

Was hard to see how much they were off by being on the bike.

Wound up just replacing the bar with a good used one.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Dennis, greg and SAm. I 'm not to sure if the actual bars are bent. Good point. but my guages point with the bars giving me the idea that its out of line. I can ride, but want my bars to be straight. I'll take it apart likeDennis said later today. if it aint snowing.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

On my 1100 the bars were bent when I got it. I think this comes from picking the bike up using the bars. They are just not strong enough to try to right a 650 lb bike! I got a long pipe with an inner diameter that just fit over the bars, and with the grip off, rebent it back to where it should be. To be honest, I rebent both sides up so they were flatter than stock... little bit wider too. I like that better.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Daryl. Now that i think about it, i had the bike in my baxkyard for a while3 and it rained one day. The kickstand must have been on top og a gopher hole as the kickstand roke thru the hole and i found the bike laid over. That may have caused this. It also caused my #3 float to stick and flood the carb.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

once hadthe same problem after i dropped my bike,and since it was about two days before a long trip,my neighbor and i bent them back (bruteforce) lol

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Fixed it....im dumb. Had to loosen the bolts, move it to the correct spot and BLAM.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Double R wrote:
Fixed it....im dumb. Had to loosen the bolts, move it to the correct spot and BLAM.
Don't forget to tighten the bolts when you're done!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i saw a guy drop his hd ultra classic last summer and he man handled it back up just using the bars he got it up and i immediatly saw that his handle bars were bent 2 or 3 inches on one side 800 or 900lb machine lifing up on a point of leverage causes bendy things to happen.

but regardless hope u find out the gremlin

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I pulled the bike up to a street light pole,I loosened the bolts on the forks, then gently moved the bars back into position. Then i made sure all bolts near were tight, and i feel like its all good. Before the bars and guages pointed a tad left with the front wheel straight. I am a noob at these bikes. :applause:

CAnt wait for the damn snow to go9 the hell away!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,756 Posts
imported post

Double R wrote:
I pulled the bike up to a street light pole,I loosened the bolts on the forks, then gently moved the bars back into position. Then i made sure all bolts near were tight, and i feel like its all good. Before the bars and guages pointed a tad left with the front wheel straight. I am a noob at these bikes. :applause:

CAnt wait for the damn snow to go9 the hell away!

That is a dirt bike technique. :readit:but...forks are forks.

Have you ridden it?

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
imported post

That was worth the entire read! Double R, we can all share in our DOLT moves... Great to have such a wonderful Forum to share. I'm a nooby Goldwing owner myself. They are a bunch of fun to play with!

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Nice bike willwilly. and yes Dennis, Rides like a dream.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.