Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My GL1100 mirrors are junk, what should I do?

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  tory 
#1 ·
imported post

I recently purchased an 81 GL1100. The mirrors look to be factory original.

The mirrors cannt be adjusted to an angle that allows a good enough view of what's behind me. I can get a hint of what's going on, but that's about it.

They vibrate too much, and have too small a field of view. I'm used to having a very good picture of what's going on behind/next to me on my other bike.

What are my options? Ideally, I'd have mirrors that are bigger, or closer, and the mirrors would be slightly convex (which I really like for reducing the effects of vibrations, and increased field of view).

#4 ·
imported post

google up "Saeng"....... they sell an assortment of supplemental mirrors. Good, but pricey.....

here.... I did it for you.....

http://www.saeng.com/category.php?category=61

I bought a pair which glued (expoxied, really) to the upper windscreen of my ST1300. I thought they were too little, and would prove too shaky, but they are quite good actually.......

Again, they are "supplemental mirrors," which I needed because with the bags on the ST, I couldn't see out the OEM's.

You can see them here being glued:

Attachments

#6 ·
imported post

With the 1100 you can add a set of post style handlebar mirrors on. Best are the ones from a GL1100 standard. No vibration and large diameter

#7 ·
imported post

This may sound stupid, but on my Aspy I couldn't adjust my mirrors to where I could see good. Found that when the PO replaced the windshield he had them on the wrong sides, switched them out and , big differance.

#8 ·
imported post

There are a lot of aftermarket mirrors for that bike. I originally had the handlebar mounted mirrors and I found fairing mounted mirrors for a very reasonable price at JC Whitney.

#9 ·
imported post

JCWhitney has an excellant copy of the original mirros for the GL1100 Interstate.. chrome will not last quite as long, but other than that, most couldn't tell the difference.. Click on the image for a link to the JCW item..

#10 ·
imported post

Anon what Ghost Rider 2 said about using the handlebar type is an easy solution, go to any mc dealer and ask for aftermarket mirrors, they come in so many different styles there should be some that will work, remember they will be alot closer to you than the stock ones. If I remember right they are the 10mm type. Mel:waving:

#13 ·
imported post

I assume that you folks have already tried adjusting the tension screw on the inside of the mirror bracket???

If the mirrors are vibrating that much and the tension screws are adjusted properly then you have a much larger problem....

Grab the fairing and see if you can wiggle it. It should not move any. If it does then your fairing mounts are broken. Pull the glove boxes out, the lower fairing, remove the "pot metal colored" plate from inside the fairing below the glove box. You will most likely find that the fairing ABS is shattered into many pieces.

#14 ·
imported post

I use the fairing mounted mirrors and handlebar mirrors. I have less jitter with the fairing mirrors though.

#15 ·
imported post

I had peoblems with the handlebar mirrors. I liked the view on the fairing mount better and they are rock solid Just be careful not to over tighten the screw or they will break.

#16 ·
imported post

Like Jim/SBD, I bought the mirrors from JC Whitney and they work just fine, a little vibration, but I can see.

But as usual, I like Cousin Jack's idea better. I should always ask him before I buy anything. :D

#17 ·
imported post

Lil Pete wrote:
I assume that you folks have already tried adjusting the tension screw on the inside of the mirror bracket???

If the mirrors are vibrating that much and the tension screws are adjusted properly then you have a much larger problem....

Grab the fairing and see if you can wiggle it. It should not move any. If it does then your fairing mounts are broken. Pull the glove boxes out, the lower fairing, remove the "pot metal colored" plate from inside the fairing below the glove box. You will most likely find that the fairing ABS is shattered into many pieces.
HMMMMM. I think you answred my question. Mine are always going out of adjustment going down the road ( aggrivating) I will look for the adjustment on my 1100.

#18 ·
imported post

Everything that I have found aftermarket do not have the curved glass like the originals.I can not see as good with the flat glass.
Does anyone know where to get new fairing mirrors with the curved glass?
I am having a hard time finding used OE mirrors that have good threads anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.