Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not mechanic, I just do a lot of research on this board. If you have some miles on your Wing (I have over 150K), you may want to replace this little vacuum hose. You can keep throwing Seafoam, Marvel, etc., into the gas tank and hoping for a miracle but depending on how many miles you have, you may want to do this.
I bought the Cresent Pro Series (Blue habdle) 45 degree and straight double articulating pliers at Sears all in one package. Also the Phillips screwdiver P2 X 12 inch for getting at the double stacked carb boots.
Follow Jim Martino's carb removal process (but you don't have to remove the choke or throttle cables, only the vacuum coolant hoses). Swing the carbs up and to the left, and secure with a bungee or cord.
Pull back the rubber mat and I will almost guarantee this is what you will find. Replace and back out. You just saved over 300 to 500 dollars in Stealer prices for a hose that costs less than 2 dollars at NAPA.
It equalizes the pressure between the manifolds, the left side has a very hard bend that is prone to deterioration. When you replace it, smooth the bend out by having the new hose be longer, i.e., less of a hard angle coming off the left manifold.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
What did you use for hose? Did you cut off the old hose bend and clamp on a standard vacuum hose? You didn't specify what you used or how you did it(that will help others that read this later looking for an answer)

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Case Anyone Else is Looking

To finish this thread.
I used a piece of plain old regular vacuum hose from AutoZone that matched the inside diameter of the original and it has worked perfectly ever since. There are pictures in my album for further edification.
Prior to settling on that method, I went to a company that specializes in providing belts, tubes, etc., for a variety of machinery. They schooled me on the fact that the vacuum being exerted on that particular hose does not require a thicker walled hose, a "mesh" reinforcement, or conversion to a metal tube. The metal tube is actually the worse thing that you can do.
Just a nice sweeping bend from nipple to nipple.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.