Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
There are some very good threads full of info on the various causes of that problem. The forums search will find them for you while you are waiting on other replies.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I just went through this with mine..the contacts in the switch are probably bad/dirty at least that was my problem. I opened the pod and sprayed some conatc cleaner into the pod..it fixed it..I also tried to shove a thin piece of sandpaper into the starter switch and pull it back and forth to clean the contacts..last resort would be to take it all aprt and clean the contacts or replace the switch.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
How old is your battery? When the battery becomes weak sometimes it wont start until you release the starter button. Hook a battery charger up to it and see if it starts normal with the charger hooked up and charging. If it does go get a new AGM battery. This is the only thing that cured mine. I could fully charge mine and within a day it would be back to only starting when I released the button. And yes my alternator was good.

Cyclepath

1500 95 interstate. with starter switch ingaged will not start. Have to release the switch.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
1500 95 interstate. with starter switch ingaged will not start. Have to release the switch.
My 96 does the exact same thing. Has been since I've had it. Just thought it was the way it was designed. It will crank as long as the start button is pushed, but wont actually fire off until it is released. To me, this does not seem to be a failure concern. But I guess if this description is NOT normal, then I should look into it.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
It could also be dirty connectors on the coil.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Keep track of it...

My '96 does something similar...And I have been told and read that it is a symptom of a bad battery getting weaker...

So I went to have my battery load tested and it is still pronounced good. It shows 281 cca. It started at 330 cca in July 2010 when I first got it. It is an AGM X2 from Batteries Plus for around $100.

I have tried to clean the switch, and monitor the battery. I have a Compufire alternator so my bike puts out plenty of volts when running even idling to chage the battery...

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
As you can tell this is a very common issue and almost the norm for these bikes. When the battery gets just a little ( I mean little) weak the issue shows up. Most just live with it. It can be caused by a weak battery as I said earlier or an ever so slight poor connection somewhere. Also a combination of the two.

When the starter is engaged battery voltage drops to a point where the ignition system lacks enough power to fire the engine. The second you release the button the voltage jumps back to full strength and it starts. Mine does not do it when the battery is new but after a few years it shows up. I get used to it and the battery goes for years after the "issue" appears. I really don't consdier it an issue. Just a little quirk. :)

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Same here.
My 95 was starting every time I hit the starter just fine, then got to only when I release the starter. Battery got weaker and did not crank bike so long before it went dead.

DUH, make sure you have the water level topped off, or you really have a sealed or AGM battery! I guess I never looked that close at mine, it is not a sealed type and was at 1/2 level.

HA HA, I did not say 1/2 full or 1/2 empty!

In my own defense of dumbness I d have so many vehicles I just forget at times whats in them. I think the 88 has sealed or AGM

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
AGM battery cured mine,although it never really bothered me that much as it always started anyway.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
To be considered normal for the 1500; I just installed the Compufire and AGM battery. Still same problem, but that starter now spins super fast.
I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Older widely gapped and/or partially carbon fouled spark plugs compound the problem. Install new at .032"

One of the plugs out of my bike which have been in for the last 22k miles replaced 2 yrs. ago. Still running my old weak wet cell battery with no release start problem (12.2 Volts tested sitting). Just ordered a new AGM battery though.:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
A weak battery will also do this. The ignition will not fire below 9.6v. and a weaker battery may be enough to spin the starter but the remaining power from the battery is too low to allow the ignition to fire until power to the starter is cut. Now that the starter power draw is eliminated but the engine is still turning, the ignition suddenly kicks in and fires up the spark plugs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.