Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My GL1500 windscreen or windshield won't hold in the upper position after setting the adjustment levers.
So far I stuck 2 wide elastic bands where the rubber squeezers are. GREAT, works for about 1 hour of riding.
As soon as I hit big bumps, the whole windshield drops down to the lowest position again..... YIKES!!! :sadguy:

Has anyone else had this happen on their GL1500's?

I need the windshield in the highest position as winter's approaching where I live!
"Toronto!"

Thanks.... Steve

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

There is an adjustment for the windshield levers. It will adjust the pre-load. Has that adjustment been made? If it is an early model 88 or 89 they were made with a thin rubber pad between shield and fairing allowing slippage in some cases. Replacement pad is much thicker and must be used when lever adjustments are maxed out.

JD

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Are the adjusters working Steve, can you see the garnish moving in to clamp the shield when you pull the levers? Another thing, the rubber strip can lose it's grip after a few years.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi, yes I think you're correct there.
I can actually pull the long black seal back and see that the rubber grabbers might've worn down. I tried a thin pencil eraser just now, so far that seems to have helped.

Will know tomorrow after riding.

Thanks for the kind replies.
Steve.....

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

i replaced the rubber strip on the garnish with the updated one thats much thicker:bow:

did the adjustments per the factory shop manual too

windshield stays put:applause:

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Everyone, thanks kindly for the advise.
I guess Honda didn't predict the longetivity of these bikes and were unaware that the windshield rubber holders would wear out....

Happy Riding in 2012!!!
Steve

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Another thing to try.

When you remove the garnish, remove the windshield as well and then give the rubber mat a good and thorough cleaning, followed up by wiping it down with rubbing alcohol. also, clean the lower section of the windshield where it comes in contact with the rubber mat with warm,soapy water, followed by just warm water and dry off with a clean, lint free cloth

1st of all, make sure the slot in the knurled piece of the windshield adjusteris lined up properly, as in this drawing of the windshield adjustmentlever

Then reassemble everything and adjust the garnish as follows .....

When I first got my 92 Aspencade, the windshield wouldn't stay put either. Once I did the above, it's never slipped since.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I was unable to get the mirrors off my 1993 Aspy.
Ended up putting a crack underneath the plastic frame.

I was quoted $49 cdn. for a new rubber garnish. On backorder until the end of this year..

I got cheap and found another rubber boot on the road. I will use that. Hey, as long as it works, looks aren't important as the whole thing will be hidden the whole time....

:)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

No need to remove your mirrors, Steve. You can access the two garnishscrews(or 4 if the old 2 piece style) by moving the rubber boots out of the way and the mirror trim pieces. Maybe swivel the mirrors back if need be. Takes me less than 10 minutes to remove my front headlight, which you need to remove the windshield garnish, the lower grill and then the 4 10mm bolts and uncoupling the connector for the headlight assembly.

Once you work on them a bit, you'll discover what needs to be removed and what doesn't. ;)

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

WOW thanks for that tip.
Gonna try it tomorrow. We're getting spring-like warm weather down here in Toronto.

I've met some very fine people on this forum.
I'm very pleased that I joined it!! :) ;)

Ride Safe!!! Goldwing Steve.....

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

That red Goldwing photo you all can see on my profile is the actual bike I own.
It's a 1993 Goldwing.
Oh and BTW I'm in the market for a pair of air deflectors as I will be riding it this winter.

Steve

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The most effective wind blocker/dollar ones are the Baker Built Handwings, that attach to the bottom of your mirror housing. They seem to block/deflect more wind than the lower ones. Even more wind can be blocked if you can find something to plug up that hole in the mirror's rubber boot!

Both the hand wings and the lower/upper wind wings are great for fetching in cooler air when it's hot out!

I typically ride until the 1st of Dec, upon which time I take my bike off the road, performing preventive/regular mainteance/repairs and adding any additional 'upgrades' I feel I need for riding comfort/enjoyment. Then I am back out on the road typically the 1st of April, or when weather allows.

Oh .... get the 'New Generation Material' ones, as they are more 'crack resistant', being made of the same material as the F4 windscreen. Over the years, mine have developed cracks in most of them, mostly from the UV rays weakening them. I dropped by Baker Built Industires this past summer and got myself all new ones for the lower wind wings

Dusty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.