Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi,I have a 2002 Goldwing GL1800 and I am having problems with my buttons sticking. My FM2, AM, WB, CD, Aux, ICOM, CB and oddly enough my On/Off Cruise are all not working. I had a Wing rider tell me that if I spray WD 40 on them and work them that they would break up and work that sometimes they just get a little dirty. I did this and nothing happened a few days later the WB button started working but then it quit again. I read in an artical that if one button is stuck then none of them will work but I don't know how to tell if any of them are stuck they seem to be pushing just fine. Does anyone Know anything about this. Thank You

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

I have buttons that are stuck too. have tried all the usual fixes. WD-40. Silicone spray... stuff like that! All to no avail. I am reluctant to disassemble the switch housings. Will be watching this thread to see what sort of answers are offered.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I have a similar problem with my hazard and suspension leveling buttons....also watching...

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I am not having any trouble pushing my wife's buttons. They have always work just find. Push one and she comes on loud and clear!:DJust kidding! I would not reccommend using WD40 as I think it will make matters worse. To me it seems to lubricate temporarily then it gets kind of sticky when it drys. I would use silicon spraylubricant as I don't think it would discolor or melt any plastic or painted surfaces. Do not use PB Blaster. I tried using it to remove road line paint and it discolored the paint.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

Guys, this happens all the time on boats. Probably have to hit all switches, contacts, etc, every couple months. Your best friend is contact cleaner. FAR better than WD40, silicone, lubricant or anything else. It is available in home Depot and is "CRC Contact Cleaner". I had the sticky switches on my 1500, sprayed them through the push buttons and it cleared them all up. Best to open the switch housing, however. If you spray too much, it can pool in the switches. It dries very fast, but needs some air to do so.
DO NOT USE "Electric Cleaner" or "Electronic Cleaner". THESE MAY DISSOLVE YOUR PLASTICS. I once used Electronic Cleaner on my cell phone to clean the antenna connection and it dissolved into a puddle of molten plastic and electronic parts.

As always, spray the contact cleaner in an inconspicuous place to make sure it is compatible with YOUR bike and switches. But its the best thing I've used on all electrical and electronic connections.

Also very good to clean battery connections that have become corroded. Use a fine wire brush, some contact cleaner, and you are good to go. I like a 12V drill with a rotary wire brush, since I'm lazy.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thank you for the advice I plan on trying that. But how exactly do you open the switch housing, and are there things that I need to be careful about like all the buttons falling out and being hard to put back in or cracking my casing because of somthing I didnt knowetc...

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I bought a contact cleaner from Sherwin Williams, made for change making machines and other electrical equipment. It's made to use while power is active. Has a Teflon base. I spray all my buttons, every spring, and never had a problem. Great stuff.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

have had excellent results refurbishing my old gl1200 buttons with radio shack "cleaner lubricant". 10 bucks a can but worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I work nights and sleep during the day so when I got up and was able to go Radio Shack and Sherwin Williams were both closed, Staples didnt have contact cleaner so i went to O'Reilly's they had one called CRC Industries - QD® Electronic Cleaner You can hit this link to check it out SailorKanewarning. What do I do.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Can't speak to his warning. I have used the spray from Sherwin Williams for the past 4 years, with no problems. This stuff dries almost immediately, so there is no "pooling" up.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I work nights and sleep during the day so when I got up and was able to go Radio Shack and Sherwin Williams were both closed, Staples didn't have contact cleaner so i went to O'Reilly's they had one called CRC Industries - QD® Electronic Cleaner You can hit this link to check it out

CRC Cleaner

but instead of helping I think it made matters worse now my presets aren't working accept 6 and 2 of my buttons that pushed fairly decent I don think are pushing as good SailorKane warning. What do I do.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

sorry for choppy writing my computer is messing up now. does anyone no anything about computers :dude:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

is what I am trying to say about SailorKane's warning is it could melt the plastics but this says it will not melt the plastics

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Detailed Description A petroleum distillate / alcohol based precision cleaner designed as an alternative to CFC based cleaners. Ideal for apps where lower flashpoint materials can be tolerated. Cost effective, plastic safe & residue free.

Applications: Circuit breakers, circuits, coin mechanisms, computer components, contacts, electronics, fiberglass, flux removal, sockets, lighting, plastics, nylon, plugs, relay switches, PVC, PTFE, tape heads, terminals.

Look's ok to me. :baffled: If it were up to me, I would give it a good flushing with WD-40, let it soak, then try the contact cleaner. But that's me. You may eventually have to take them apart to get at everything, but this might be worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Thank you Mike. I just doused it with WD-40. One more question how do you take the cover off of the electronic cluster.

·
Administrator
27,750 Posts
imported post

There seems to be a problem with using contact cleaner and maybe WD40- or any other chemical on the radio buttons on 1800s and maybe other bikes as well. hdmartin used one or more of these things on his buttons and possibly ruined his radio. There are no electrical contacts under these buttons that can be cleaned in this manner, there is only a soft membrane that waterproofs the unit. If someone has an idea for cleaning these buttons other than plain water under low pressure or just poured over the buttons while working them, please post it.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Thank you Dave, and I verify that all that is under the buttons is a soft rubber push pad. In order to get to my radio I had to strip my GW this I did, got theradio and took it apart that is exactly what I saw. Unfortuneitly working the buttons with wd40 or CRC broke the little membranes and now I'm looking for a push pad, does anyone have one?

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

I do this on my gl1500 a couple of time a year. I do not use WD-40 on any switches or buttons because it attracks dust. I use the Radio Shack "Control Contact Cleaner and Lubricant". It will clean and lubricat at the same time but you need to be careful not to get it on the paint. I put a rag around the button/switch I am spraying into and it catches the overspray as well as the cleaner that is coming out. You would be surprised at how dirty the discharge can get. Be sure to work the buttons/switch you are cleaning it help a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.