Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had done this early spring of 08 and thought I would share. It may not be the best or most attractive, but it has worked excellently, even on a 5,700 mile trip with NO flaws.

First, I removed the emblem on the key switch Bridge. Then had to make another piece to replace it, using some 1/4 in. thick plastic and then I used a "Rail Bracket" to hold it in place. It needed to be cut ( with tin snips) to form a tab to fit in the existing slot on the bottom side of the Bridge. Drill it to fit the 2 screws also.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/winger77/Tips%20and%20repairs/100_3336.jpg

Nowon the top side, I pop-rivet another"Rail Bracket" onto this. But first I flattened out the ears so my GPS would sit flat against it.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/winger77/Tips%20and%20repairs/100_3338.jpg

Now mount a "RAM Mount" Whitehorse Gear - RAM Mount: Garmin i-series StreetPilot, zumo, and nuvi 200 and 700 Series Holder to the bracket.

The GPS will snap on at this point,,,,,,,,,, but it needs to be supported at the bottom. A little Velcro and cutting one of those (foam drink holders that keeps your can of soda cold) did the trick.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/winger77/Tips%20and%20repairs/100_3339.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/winger77/Tips%20and%20repairs/100_3340.jpg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii35/winger77/Tips%20and%20repairs/100_3341.jpg

I'm not very good at explaining, so I hope the pictures make it easer to understand. I used what happen to be laying on the shelves in the garage. It was only going to be a proto type,,,, but works so well,,,,, why change it?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Your explanation and pictures are perfectly clear Winger 77, even to someone like me!!!!:cheeky1:

Nice job and I am sure some folks with a 1500 will see this as inspiration to go the same route to mount their GPS. I know that Exavid has his possitioned in much the same place and way and it doesn't seem to obscure any switches whcih is a good thing and is easily seen if necessary.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Glad you liked it guys. It is,,,,,,, just an idea for others like you said Silverfox ,,,,, a little insperation. I was wondering who it was that has thier's mounted with PVC fitting, maybe it is Exavid. I know it looked real good and would like to see it again.

I had at first mounted on the clutch side bars with RAM Mounts, but if you ever drove in Pa. you would know why it won't stay there. I almost lost the GPS and thats why I decided to mount it this way.

I like it better for the reason you stated,,,,, easy to see with a quick glance and it is protected from rain along with useing a baggy over it.

Thanks again for the kind compliments.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I keep my 2nd GPS there but I just drilled and screwed it through the badge. Works fine so far.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

I'm in the process of the same mod. Didn't wantthe same bulky Garmin hanging off my bars along with the drink holder. Too much clutter.

I had a problem with the supplied suctionmount falling of the windshield of the cager every five minutes soI sent Garmin an email. They responded that day and within three days I had a new mount and power cord, no questions asked. Yeah Garmin. (hint hint;))

I removed the GL badge on the key bridge and bolted the old mount through the backer.

It's an easy viewing, secure location.

I was wondering, cause I'm a 12V idiot if you can cut the plug end off the cord and hard wire it in:stumped:. I was thinking of tapping into the ciggy lighter mounted on the same panel. What's your thoughts?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

HogansWing wrote:
I was wondering, cause I'm a 12V idiot if you can cut the plug end off the cord and hard wire it in:stumped:. I was thinking of tapping into the ciggy lighter mounted on the same panel. What's your thoughts?
Only if the lighter adapter does not change the voltage from 12 volts. Most do. Also you would have to replace the fuse that is built into the adapter and get the polarity right the first time.

Short answer... probably not. Most GPS systems don't take 12v in at the power jack. Usually it's lower.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
HogansWing wrote:
Only if the lighter adapter does not change the voltage from 12 volts. Most do. Also you would have to replace the fuse that is built into the adapter and get the polarity right the first time.

Short answer... probably not. Most GPS systems don't take 12v in at the power jack. Usually it's lower.

Thanks Rudy! It would have sucked to have that nice mount and no GPS. I don't think Garmin would replace the unit if I fried it:(. I think I'll stick with plugging into the ciggy lighter.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
imported post

Good idea Winger77. I have a Garmin Nuvi 750 and to mount it I bought an extra Garmin mount, benta piece of aluminum into an "L" shapedbracket, drilled a couple holes in thebracket for mounting screws,gorilla glued the Garmin mount to the bracket and mounted it over the left side front speaker. I don't have to look down to see it and I don't get any vibration. I'll post pictures tonight.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

That's two pictures, Hogan. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Jeez!I thought I actually had an original idea when I put mine in the same spot earlier this summer.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Hi winger

Nice job. I just mounted mine by the cluch lever, haven't tried it out yet the roads very icy recently. I do have a question though. I would have preffered installing mine where you did but it would be facing up and I thought the sun would wash out the screen. Have you had this experiance ? Mine is not made for a bike and I figured the screen may not be bright enough to compete with the sun. Magellan 2200t. Thanks for any imput.

Tom

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hey Thessler, I think that is the model Exavid and Rudy have got and they have managed to mount theirs sort of virtical. :baffled:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

thessler wrote:
Hi winger

Nice job. I just mounted mine by the cluch lever, haven't tried it out yet the roads very icy recently. I do have a question though. I would have preffered installing mine where you did but it would be facing up and I thought the sun would wash out the screen. Have you had this experiance ? Mine is not made for a bike and I figured the screen may not be bright enough to compete with the sun. Magellan 2200t. Thanks for any imput.

Tom
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you,,, we got some snow and thats how I make part of my living,,,,,,,,PLOWING.

The sun does bother sometimes,, makes it hard to see the screen, I guess I just deal with it. But I have pondered some ideas. They do make visors for some GPS's but if I remember right, the price didn't seem worth it.

If I dream up an idea I'll make a post.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Hey Thessler, I think that is the model Exavid and Rudy have got and they have managed to mount theirs sort of virtical. :baffled:
Yes, mine is on the two ball Ram mount on the right brake clamp. I like it up close and personal.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Yep, same mounts as Rudy, and same GPS as Rudy and Exavid.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.