Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, so I had been planning on going to the darkside for some time now, but since my back tire got punctured by a nail I figured I could switch the tires out and fix the MT for later use if needed. I mounted the tire and tried to put it on the bike. It was a tight squeeze, but I finally got it on with the help of my wife and a floor jack. It helps to lift the bike up a little to have more wiggle room. :) After I got the CT on I put everything back together and went for a ride. There was no rubbing when the bike was on it's center stand and no rubbing when it was on the road although I had the suspension up to 25. I'll update with the tire type and size later because I forget what it is at the moment. When I went for a ride, the only things i noticed was that I had to counter steer all throughout the turns because the bike wanted to right itself all the time. It was more stable on my gravel driveway as well. So far I like it. Tomorrow i will do more testing when I ride to work. I shall update this tomorrow. Oh and yes I did my homework and am aware of the "risks" I just wanted to add my findings to the forum for other people that might find it useful.

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

I went darkside during my refurbishment this last winter, I didn't get any time on the bike before hand so don't know what it was like before hand. I do know that it gets up and moves out without breaking traction, and stopping power is great. I went with the Dunlop Wintersport Run on Flat. got about 1500 miles on it and love it so far.
Good Luck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
When I went for a ride, the only things i noticed was that I had to counter steer all throughout the turns because the bike wanted to right itself all the time.
After a few days, you won't notice any difference... I forget I have a car tire, except when
I notice how smooth and quiet it is

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I am currently running a all season tire and not a run flat and like it very much. can't really tell the difference between the ct and mt.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I did also notice that it's much more quiet than my bridgestone. I didn't have the chance to get on the throttle too much because my wife wanted to follow me in her van because she was worried. :) The braking is wonderful though.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i hear both sides of the story on this i have a few guys i know that have 1500's and 1800's i tell them about what i read on here and tell them to visit and get the story

boy you should see their eyes light up over this a CAR tire on a bike they just think its the most unsafe thing in the whole wide world

but im sniffin at some 1500's maybe lol and if i get one i'd be more than willing to put a car tire on i wonder if ya get the road hazard plan do ya think they'd warranty it lmao

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I have 8800 miles on my car tire now.

The car tire I am using is one that has been tried and trued by many other 1500 wing riders. There is not a big selection of tires that will mount up on the 1500. I understand that the 1800 has a better selection.

My tire has a smaller diameter but it has no effect on mileage whatsoever. I got 42 - 44 mpg last weekend over a 500 mile trip. It does effect the gear ratio a little bit, which means that I hardly ever have to down shift on the highway to account for a traffic slow down or whatever. I know the bike will still travel much faster than I normally ever travel.

The bike sits a little lower. I never had a problem with flat footing the bike, but it is easier now.

Putting it on the center stand takes a little more (a lot) effort so I think before I just throw it up on the stand. Some folks have taken to riding the rear tire up onto a 3/4 inch board to make it easier. I don't like to leave a 3/4 board laying in my car port, so I don't bother with that, but it helps get it on the center stand. I am a big guy, going 250 lbs, so when I push down on the center stand and pull up... it is gonna go up.

I doubt I will wear out this tire before I go and get myself an 1800. I believe I will probably buy one in the next couple of years.... and this tire has 20,000 miles left on it, if it doesn't get damaged first.

I run a Dunlop 404 on the front...... and in the next 3000 miles or so, I will have to replace it. I will re think that tire soon enough to get one ordered in time. I will probably put a rear motorcycle tire on the front and by the others that have done so, have reversed the arrow rotation on the tire.

I am not inventing anything here. I am just following some experiences of wing riders who put a good amount of miles on their bikes and got sick and tired of paying $200+ for a tire and it goes for 10,000 miles. So far, everything they have experienced, I have too, a quiet stable ride.... I keep thinking I am riding an electric motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
imported post

I love my CT and have almost 12K mles on it in the past 3 months or so. I am a believerbut ALWAYS remember to check your tire pressure at every opportunity especially if you are running a Run Flat tire.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I had to vote no I don't, not because I don't want to run a CT, I own a 1200...:11brown:.. I can't...:stumped:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

PC, your comments echo mine.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I am currently running a dunlop run flat CT, the differance,braking distance has reduced, much better grip in the wet dry and sand, smoother especially when two up. Have about 1200 miles on it, safety no blow outs etc, bike seems more steady when two feet down. corners fine but wants to straighten up a little quicker than the MT.it is a little unsteady at low speeds over rough ground pot holes etc, Done a lot of research before purchasing,did atest driveon bike with CT, overall theCT has the advantage over theMT but this is personal choice, do a few hundred miles on a CT then make up your mind, my two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

+1 to gerowing. I noticed that the braking distance is less as well. I haven't tried in sand or wet, but on my gravel road it is wonderful. The bike doesn't wander as much in the gravel. My wife did tell me that it seems to pick up more dirt and gravel than the MT did, but that's probably just that there's more of a contact patch. I got a rough temp of the front and back tires today after riding for about an hour. The front is really warm. Not so much that you can't touch it, but it's almost hot (I would take a guess at about 150* to 180*). The CT I would say is just a hare warmer than outside temp of 85* (I would say between 100* and 120*) I plan on getting a temp sensor to measure it eventually. My next thing to do will be to get some chalk and mark the tire up in various places across the tread and sidewall to see where it is wearing. Oh, and the tire that I selected is a Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 195/55R16. I'll post the specs from the website later. I gotta get ready for work. lol

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Been ridin the Darkside long enough that I'm convinced that I like it. Got over 17,000 miles on present Michlien 205/55/VR16 AS Sport. handles great, and since i do travel on gravel at times, much more stable.:claps:

Gene:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I did a quick calculation on MPG this last time I got gas. Before I was getting 41-44MPG and this tank was at 45MPG. Not much of a change and I can't imagine that it would change that much in either direction any ways. The ride down the bumpy interstate is better too. So far, with over 250 miles I'm happy.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

I am runnin the Dlop w sport on the 88 . Will never go back. Darn tire won't let me just like the energizer bunny . Keeps goin and goin

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Giturgun, can you get me the specifics and the size on the wintersport you're running! Thanks.

Travis

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

:ROFL: Well, another fill up and another quick calculation reads 44.5 MPG. after about 350-400 miles on the bike I hardly notice that I have a CT on it. There has been a few times when i've been going around a corner and said to myself "I should probably slow down a bit" so I look down and find that I'm going 10-15 mph faster than I used to with the MT. It's not that it was a bad feeling like I could loose control or something, It's just that I was going faster than I was used to. The tire held wonderfully and it seemed like it could handle more if I wanted it to.

US385South, I think I saw another thread with that info in it, but I don't remember which one or if it was even on this forum. I would like to know as well because I might want to try it later.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

since everyone is posting pics of their tires, I just went out to the hotels parking lot and took this pic of mine.
I did the math and right now it has exactly 26,880 miles on it.

Not too bad considering it only cost me $130. and the E3's were costing me $250. each AND I was only getting a little over 8K on them.

I'll be looking to replace this one before long, I'm thinking I should be able to get 30,000 mile out of it.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

How difficult is it to mount a CT on a bike rim? Is this something you have to do your self? I cant amagine a dealer or shop doing this for you?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Norton,

That's your gray Valkyrie... I recognize that bike. I would also postualte that is a Goodyear Triple Tread assurance on the back. I have the very same tire on mine.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.