Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have only had my GL1800 for 4 months but last Wednesday I had to take a business trip 400 miles away. I was nervous since I had not driven more than 100 miles in one sitting but i could not resist the good gas mileage.

I need to preface this with the fact that I have a fractured spine and have trouble sitting for long periods of time.

So Wednesday at 4 am I woke up and rode out. After nearly 170 miles I took my first break and I felt fine. Another 165 put me close to my destination so I stopped and filled up with gas. With the last leg just 50 miles it was a cinch.

I spent 3 hours on site and fixed all the issues for my job and then I began the trip back 400 miles again. The first 35 miles went easy and then I took a lunch break. Then we went on the long ride again, 90 miles till the fill up and then another 170 until dinner and fill up. The last leg was just over 120 and then home sweet home.

I must say I think 8 hours a day on the bike is fine but as I hit the 10 and then 12 hours of riding mark it was rough, this also made for a 17 hour day with work and food! No way I could have done this on any other bike tho. I also would love to have highway pegs for next time and a headset for the radio.

These were just my thoughts after finally getting on a long ride.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Great effort 800 miles in the one day. Not too many bikes that you can put in that sort of effort on. You were almost a member of the Iron Butt 1000!

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I admire that kind of determination!
I'm thinking of riding down to Yuma in mid April and I'm curious just how far I can stand to ride in a day(?) This is the first motorcycle I've owned that makes me want to set sail for far away places. The 'Wing is a whole different kind of machine than any I've piloted in the past.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,321 Posts
I have been touring on motorcycles since sand was stone, and I don't remember ever doing an 800 mile day! So, congrats on that.
I like to do four to six hundred miles a day, when traveling across country. That's doable on a 'Wing, without needing traction when you get home.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...I must say I think 8 hours a day on the bike is fine but as I hit the 10 and then 12 hours of riding mark it was rough, this also made for a 17 hour day with work and food! No way I could have done this on any other bike tho. I also would love to have highway pegs for next time and a headset for the radio...
You'll find that Ergonomics, Food, and Rest are the key to doing such long days for extended trips of such 12hr days. Erogonomics is the toughest thing to solve, because what works around town often doesn't surface as a painful problem until days into a trip, at which point the story about "The Princess and the Pea" becomes meaningful... eg Every seam in your clothes feels like a mountain; that snug helmet feels like a crushing vice, etc.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Longest rides I used to make was from NH to Miami, about 1.3k or more miles each way, and I did this on a cruiser! my old 2006 1700 Yamaha road Star

I had the benefit of cruise control and a back pack that gave me a good back rest, I made that run 6 times back and forth! Man talk about sore! I'm sure this Gold Wing I just bought would make for a much more comfortable ride!
If I would have known years ago just how comfortable a ride these Gold wings are, I would have bought one many years ago!

I started riding street bikes and cruisers way back in 74!
Used to race Motorcross started at the age of 9, I'm way to old for that now! lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great effort 800 miles in the one day. Not too many bikes that you can put in that sort of effort on. You were almost a member of the Iron Butt 1000!
If I would of known I just needed 200 more for the Iron Butt title I would have gone for it because I am hoping to NEVER do 800 again in a day :praying:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.