Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weekends ago I took my longest ride to date on my 1995 Gl1500se with 156,000+ miles. Went from SE Missouri to NE Indiana, roughly 650 miles one way. Went to see my brother. This is the farthest I have ever ridden a motorcycle, especially in 1 day. Took about 12 hours to get there. Took about 13 hours to get back because of riding in pouring rain for 3 straight hours.

I have new respect for my bike. I did lots of repairs/maintenance over the winter. All that work paid off in a great ride on a bike that performed flawlessly. Rain and sun it never stuttered. The thing that most amazed me was how great the Austone on the rear and the Battlax BT45 on the front felt. I have had issues before riding in the rain in Florida on other bikes, but the Wing and double darkside was amazing. No slips, no hydroplaning, just a great ride at 65-70mph in the pouring rain.

I love my wing and I am glad I took the time to do all that maintenance.

·
Administrator
58,437 Posts
You just found out how great our Goldwings are when they are prepped to the inth degree.

Do it all yourself, and you know it is done right.
Ride it often and it will reward you with continuous flawless cruising.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
That's a good haul for 1 day. Lots of bikes would not be comfortable for that many miles in a day. My most comfortable day is about 400 miles a day. I have gone more and less, depending om what the situations are.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Take the seat to a CL upholstery person for custom buttocks foam modifications
THEN you can ride all day in Road Sofa like comfort

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Last July I rode a 1000 miles in 19 hrs. My left thigh was sore and my forehead from the helmet. Rode through a rainstorm in Indianopolis(downtown). Left Gainesville FL. to Fort Wayne IN. Next day rode another 400 miles before being arriving at my destination. On our trip to Sturgis we will have 3-4 day 700 mile rides.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice ride! My longest was just over 600 miles - found our bike on craigslist up in Cottage Grove, Oregon and drove our smart car up from San Jose, Ca to look at it. Arrived on a Thursday night, looked at the bike Friday morning, swapped some money for the title, and headed home! The wife followed behind me in our smart car and we arrived home about 13 hours later. The top of my head was tender from the lack of decent padding in my helmet (it needs a new liner!), and my wrists were tired but it was the most comfortable ride I've ever experienced! We've since put another 1000 miles or so on the bike and absolutely love it!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I am not much of a "Patch Wearer" or a "Bead Counter," so the idea of a an Iron Butt bid just sort or seems silly to me.

Oddly I have a friend in central Georgia that lives exactly 998 miles from my drive way...

To date, my longest ride has been from San Marcos, Texas to Albuquerque, NM... somewhere in the zone of about 800 miles... I was whipped!

T

·
Administrator
58,437 Posts
When I went to Willville, VA last June, I pushed too hard and went 700 miles on the last day. I should have stuck to my plan of 3 days, not two days.

The effort was wasted as I slept nearly all of the next day...

Ride smart is the best idea.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Alan-Welcome to the world of Winging!!
Learn to use the Wings cruise control,,keep a light resting grip with at least one hand on the bars at all times, and hang a hand down frequently in the airflow to restore circulation and feeling!

there is a very simple mod to make the cruise work above its current 80mph limiter :)

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
just saw the sidecar part of Alans avatar--that must have been interesting 3 wheeling it down I-5 with no-one in the extra seat!

there is a special section on here for trikes and sidecars- probably lots of rider tips available from them

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Memorial day was my last road trip from Chicago to Augusta Kansas just to take my mom out to lunch 700 miles each way did it 12 hours each way glad I was on a wing.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Last trip was to Augusta KS from Chicago 700 miles each way taking my time I completed each leg in 12 hours, August 26 I leave on my next trip going to El Centro CA to visit my dad and pick up a queen sized popup camper I bought to got behind OL' Gurl from there Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and Mt Rushmore plus whatever else I decide to see with 17 days for this trip there in no hurry.:cam:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
When I went to Willville, VA last June, I pushed too hard and went 700 miles on the last day. I should have stuck to my plan of 3 days, not two days.

The effort was wasted as I slept nearly all of the next day...

Ride smart is the best idea.
Agreed, when I was younger, I was more capable of those sorts of "epic" road days... then as I eased into my thirties I started to realize that most of the next day was a bust anyway...

So, why not split the ride into two days?

T

·
Registered
139 Posts
Alan-Welcome to the world of Winging!!
Learn to use the Wings cruise control,,keep a light resting grip with at least one hand on the bars at all times, and hang a hand down frequently in the airflow to restore circulation and feeling!

there is a very simple mod to make the cruise work above its current 80mph limiter :)
Thanks Tom! I was hesitant to use the cruise control at first - it was raining and damp for the first hour or so, and traffic was heavy enough that I had to constantly change speeds. But after we got past the Shasta area I did try out the cruise and it worked well! I did notice that it wouldn't hold much over 70 mph though...

It was an interesting ride - coming from a Ural that can barely get up to 65 mph to a Wing is like a quantum leap!

just saw the sidecar part of Alans avatar--that must have been interesting 3 wheeling it down I-5 with no-one in the extra seat!

there is a special section on here for trikes and sidecars- probably lots of rider tips available from them
The sidecar came with 2 50 lb sacks of sand for ballast so it wasn't too bad. But it definitely draws a crowd at stops, and people love to take photos as we're driving! We've been hacking for 5 years - with a Ural - but we wanted something that could more comfortably handle freeway speeds and this Goldwing certainly does that!

I've already found the sidecar section - thanks!

Attachments

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
do NOT use cruise control in the rain. our 94s get the speed signal from the camshaft.
A sudden puddle/change in road friction..well you can imagine how the cruise would react = just like the car.. WHOA!

Cruise alleged operating range is 35-75 mph, then you can tap the UP button to get 78-79.
Try to engage it over 75 and it wont take. Needs 4th or 5th gear to work.
Swapping 2 wires under the seat makes it think its still in 4th and allows unlimited Max.
Bikes alleged top speed is 105, PO of mine said GPS showed 110 on the way to Vegas~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.