Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Please tell me who has a better tire and where is a good place to buy them, this happened after getting home fromES M&G. went to town about 15 miles away and she started thumping, glad I wasn't very far away from home, the tire has about 6k miles on it the front tire is also a metzeler I'm replacing both

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

I put Kendas on mine back in January. I used a Kenda 671 rear tire mounted backwards for the front. Bought them thru Dennis Kirk. Best price & service I could find with fast free shipping. $123.99 for the rear & $79.99 for the rear (k671) I mounted on the front, backwards....

I have about 5k miles on the set & although they do sing in the twisties, they are showing very little wear. my $00.02....-Rich

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Laydeane I can't blame you for not wanting another Metzeler. I've run Metzelers for many miles and many years and have always gotten excellent service from them. Sorry to see your's got a goose egg. All of the guys I know make a big deal about Avons being the best. You could try a pair of those. If you install them yourself, buying them off the internet is about your best bet. If you have them installed, find a no-name dealer who will order and install them for you.
I've had bad luck with Dunlops. I actually like Metzlers. Been riding them exclusively for more than a decade. I've never had a failure like that one. I'm sure you're bound to get a bad one every now and then from any manufacturer. They've always seemed to wear faster than other brands. They're softer so they conform better to the road but that makes them wear quicker. I replace them every year. They're priced about the same as any of the better ones.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
imported post

This is why i check my tires before every ride! I have metz tires on now and im keeping a close eye on them .

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

regarless of the brand of tire inspect them regularly not just "every" ride just make it a regular maintaince item once a week, once a day what ever just do regularly.

i check my tires, oil, antifreeze once a week unless something is outta the ordinary

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Peterbuilt is absolutely correct, check your stuff on a regular basis. That is how I found this bulge on the Avon's I put on my 1800 when I pulled the Metzler 880's off. The Metzlers caused the dreaded front end wobble.

The Avon's I put on felt great, rode great and stuck to the corners like glue. Then I found this and just about crapped my pants.

Henry

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I still say Metzler makes good tires. I have over 100,000 miles on them with no problems. What happened to that tire could just as easily have happened to any tire. For some reason, tires of any brand don't seem to be as good as they used to be. I have had the tread come off 3-4 car tires in the last couple of years, they were bought new, no suspension problems, and had plenty of tread left. In fact they were all less than 10,000 miles. And yes they were properly inflated. Yes, they were cheap off brand tires from Discount Tire. But 10,000 miles and they are coming apart?

I have Metzler 880s on my Vulcan 750, I'm on my 3rd set, and got close to 18,000 miles out of the rears, over 20,000 miles out of the front. I got about the same out of the Bridgestone Exedras that came on it.

I always keep all my tires inflated to the max pressure on the sidewall, which I definitely recommend on the Goldwing. It may be more susceptible to tire problems than other bikes because of it's weight

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
It may be more susceptible to tire problems than other bikes because of it's weight
Jerry, I think you hit the nail on the head here. The wing is a heavy bike and the 1800 is especially hard on tires. I would think the 1500 would be next then the lighter wings.

I've never gotten more than 10,000 miles out of a rear tire on my 1800 and I now have over 70,000 on it. I've had a Dunlop E3's that split on me, the Avons that bulged, the Metzlers that wobbled and the original Dunlop D250's that cupped real bad.

Since my Motoguzzi was dropped on the highway at 55mph with a flat rear tire 30 years ago I have been very vigilant at keeping up the tire pressures and inspecting my tires. I ride the 1800 2 up towing a trailer most of the time which is why I probably have more issues with tires than most.

I'm currently a darksider due to all of the problems but that is an issue for a different thread.

Henry

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

like ive stated before the tires are load rated so get the right tire for the right load rating, and ive dealt with every brand of tire on this earth almost from motorcycles to cars to semi trucks just because its a virgin tire dosent mean anything sometimes you get a bad one its life and it sucks sometimes

just find a brand of tire that suits you and that you seem to like and just stick with it

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I have had the same thing happen to me. Three different brands. Dunlop, Metzler, and Shinko. I figure that the wieght has a lot to do with it. I have a set of E 3's on my 1500 wife has a set of Bridgestones on her 1500 trike. Just keep an eye on any tire you run.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I did alot of research on Metzlers, prior to buying a new front tire. I was ASSURED this lump thing was resolved, and that came from Metzler. I would raise hell! I was told, tires made in Brazil were the faulty ones, and was due to delamination inside the tire. Sounds like I got another line of bulls#($t from a big manufacturer, or someone sold you a tire that was made 3 years ago. Either way, I'd raise hell. jimsjinx

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

laydeane wrote:
Please tell me who has a better tire and where is a good place to buy them...
Two words come to my mind:

1.) Dark
2.) Side

"better tire": Dunlop Winter Sport ROF 175.60.R16

"good place to buy them": Tirerack.com

[align=center]"Help you, I can...
help you to become brave Jedi."

[/align]

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

That looks just like the Dunlop on my bike now, large bump on the left side of the rear tire. I am taking it this saturday and putting a Bridgestone on. Dont know if it will do any better but I am with the other guys, making sure I check and double check tires before each ride. Especially in the heat we have been having, mine failed when the high temp for the day was over 100.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

I was just wondering what year all these tires where that are having the problems. Mine where manufactured in 0908 and so far so good, I will be watchingthem a lot closer.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

Am I miss-reading these numbers? (certainly possible, in which case I apologize!)

But seriously... you guys are running tires made in 2009 and 2008?

If that is indeed the case... I'd either replace them immediately or call my insurance agent and boost my life insurance coverage. Any MC tire that old is a liability lawsuit just waiting to be lost.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.