Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The P.O. says that it has a bent valve from a timing belt problem. He also stated that it had this issue when he got it, he had it fixed, but did the same thing happened again. He also said he had the bike for 6 years basicly in this condition, and it was stored out of the weather.

An even prior owner installed mega amounts of add-ons and do-dads ALL over this thing. I bet I will pull off 10 pounds of wire!

After the photo was taken I washed the bike and the parts to seel what I really have. The only parts that I know are missing (other than lots of hardware) are the right side engine guard and the air can/cleaner assy. He said he will check in his storage unit and get me any parts for it that he finds. And yes, there is at least one part in the photo that is not for this bike.

Bill

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,629 Posts
Looks like you have an interesting winter project in front of you.

I am assuming that you did not have to pay "top dollar" for it :badgrin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've constructed more than one Oldwing kit. eBay is your friend.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Hope you have patience and a paypal acct to buy on eBay. Your gonna need it! Good Luck it looks like a fun project!:cool:
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Cool I like gold wing puzzles:popcorn:Hope they gave you the bucket of fasteners will make things a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Awesome kit there!:applause:

Paypal is easy to set up .... and it works both ways.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
As I see it there is very little of that crap on the ground that really needs to go back on the bike. the false tank and the side covers. the rest can go in the dumpster or off to ebay.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool I like gold wing puzzles.....Hope they gave you the bucket of fasteners will make things a lot easier.
Nope.

As I mentioned, the seller is going to check and see if he has any other parts and will let me know. I had a box of hardware from a 1000 that I sold on ebay earlier this year, and I also had a bag of valves, springs and keepers that I think went into my scrap on my last run; oh well.... I have lots of Honda hardware here anyway so I should be fine for most of it.

....Paypal is easy to set up .... and it works both ways.
Been on ebay over ten years, paypal for almost all of the time too; no worries.

I have a truckload of spare parts. If you need anything check with me first.
Other than the missing parts I mentioned, the bottom fairing lower mount brackets are not here, no grille, but again he might have those. Other than those I will most likely need a left side head. I would take a right side or just the valves and put them in my head. My goal is to get it running as cheaply as possible just to determine the bike's overall condition. I can pull it back apart after if I need to.

As I see it there is very little of that crap on the ground that really needs to go back on the bike. the false tank and the side covers. the rest can go in the dumpster or off to ebay.
Wilf
I agree, but there are lots of parts needed for the swap to a base that I don't have. Making it a full custom would be great if the drivetrain is intact, but I just don't know if I have the time. All the fancy crap that I can take off is coming off. I will leave on what I have to, like the chrome where holes were drilled in the side covers and such.

It has clean CT paperwork so I can do almost anything with it that I want.....

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
That picture reminds me of when I worked for a lawn mower repair shop back in my high school days. We used to call them "box jobs" because the owner would bring in the lawn mower in a box. Usually there were several parts missing, but the shop had been in business for so many years, they had their own junk yard for spare parts. Being the low man on the totem pole, I usually got stuck with these jobs because the "real" mechanics didn't want all the hassle.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
All ya need is this forum, money, and be stubborn as heck. You'll be up and running in no time!!! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
Ebay and time is all you need.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pulled off what seems to be another full harness! Wow that was lots of stuff jammed into this Wing; I doubt the alt still works!!

The engine turns with a wrench, but have not pulled anything apart on the engine yet. Just trying to see what I have and get it part-way put together for storage.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a little time to mess with, well.... the mess....

The right side timing belt was advaced two teeth, but I saw no evidece that any valves are bent (all the tapet adjusters looked about the same, and all seem to be adjusted right). Once I put the belt were it belonged, and rotated the engine it feels fine. I was going to run it with the starter, but when I hooked a battery to it and turned the key on I had no power. Hot wiring the starter made some nice sparks, but would not spin. After pulling and bench testing the starter (good), I reinstalled it and it tries to turn the engine, but I might need a better battery.

With a good charged battery I will try again, and if it spins correctly I will do a comp. test (cold) and if thats good I will hot wire the coils to see what it does.

I met with the guy and got more parts. The lid for the air can as well as the filter are here, but no can assy, mount bolts (2) or the bottom gasket. Also missing is the right side fairing lower rear metal filler/holder. What I did get, along with the crash bar, rear boards and other parts, is a bunch of custom made tools for the bike. The tools include spaner sockets, a custom socket for the fork top cap, pullers, fork seal slide hammer, and others. Kool.

BTW: Waterpump = toast.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tell ya what, cover the shipping and I'll send you the entire air cleaner assembly.
Thank you!

I don't need the lid or the filter, but if you toss them in thats fine. As I mentioned I need the mount bolts, the base gasket, and the cover nut too if you have them.

Do you have the right fairing lower rear mount? (the part with the two little hooks that holds the lower in the rear vent)

My Zip is 06033. Do you have PayPal? If so I can add a few bucks to cover the hit they give you.

Thanks again,
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on the bike:

With a good battery the engine still will not spin much. I pulled the spark plugs and she will now crank, but fairly slowly. Even as slow as it is, I have similar compression in all 4, so I might not have any valve problems. I have two GL1000 starters that also bench check good that I will swap into the bike and see if I have a good one.

Bill

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.