Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked this up a few days ago. $900. Have put around 200 miles on it so far checking it out, etc., including a 50 mile jaunt today. 141k miles on the bike.
Runs perfect, so comfortable. Should have got a wing long ago. Does need a new front tire soon and I want to replace the rear shocks with 412's or something similar and the front springs as both are tired. The aftermarket exhaust is louder than I want, but in good shape. It had the front fender trim and chrome side panels but they're not on the bike now.
The former owner (of two) took outstanding care of it and did some really nice mods to it including making mounts so the travel trunk can be moved to the passenger part of the seat for solo riding.
He is a cabinet maker and is very good at fabricating with metal, etc. too.
Anyway, some photos taken right after the 50 mile ride I did today.

This photo shows three mods done: the two white gauges are for the air shocks and that is a voltmeter on the bar bottom between them. Air can be added/subtracted to the shocks via fittings on each gauge.

This photo just shows a chrome cover the p.o. fabbed to cover the pipes usual discoloration. One on each side of the bike of course.

This photo shows my favorite mod. The p.o. fabbed the bike so the center stand can be applied via a small portable air compressor which he mounted in the false tank and it can be done with the rider sitting on the bike; this is the pressure release when one wants to take the bike off the stand. Makes applying the center stand so easy !
The same compressor can be used to adjust the shocks and tires.

Hope I haven't bored you to much :)

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
It is a very nice '80 Gold Wing.

I see that it started life as a GL1100 "Standard" not an "Interstate".

I notice it only has 5 digits for the odometer. Can only display up to 99,999 miles..

The later Gold Wing odometers had 6 digits. Can display up to 999,999 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes, it was a standard originally. I'm a big fan of Vetter stuff !

·
Administrator
25,735 Posts
That air center stand is quite an excellent idea.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes, it was a standard originally. I'm a big fan of Vetter stuff !
I had a Lees Starr fairing and all Bates on the rear of my '77 GL1000.

The Lees Starr looked exactly like the Vetter 3 fairing. I had the Cycle Sound unit with radio in it.

I liked the looks of the Bates saddlebags much better than the Vetter saddlebags.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a Lees Starr fairing and all Bates on the rear of my '77 GL1000.

The Lees Starr looked exactly like the Vetter 3 fairing. I had the Cycle Sound unit with radio in it.

I liked the looks of the Bates saddlebags much better than the Vetter saddlebags.
That was sharp ! I'm new to the Honda world. Been riding Harleys for many years except for Suzuki dirt bikes when I was an early teenager ('early 70's).
But I've always wanted a Wing and like old bikes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts