Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I ordered the new tire Monday and I got it Wednesday evening. I really like the way it looks. The tread design lends itself as a motorcycle tire in my humble opinion. The tread is more rounded than most car tires. It looks taller than I expected but this must be an illusion because it is just a little taller than the E3 it will replace. There should be no clearance issues using it on the Valkyrie. I have a few miles left on the E3 so I should be making the transition to the Dark Side by the end of the month. I hope to be reporting so good results at that time.

Dubs!

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Darkside, the cookies are great.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

It is taller.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I'm thinking it will reduce the RPMs a little and I won't be trying to shift to the 6th gear that I do not have, quite so often!

Dubs

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Hi Dubswing, can you describe this tire in detail ie make size, before you put mileage on it, welcome to the darkside.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Remember what happen to Anikin Skywalker when he went to the dark side!!:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

You can find this tire at Universal Vintage Tire Co. in PA. 877-454-3954. It is has almost the same dimensions as the E3 I'm running now. It is 26.9" in diameter and the tread is 5.5 inches wide with nice round shoulders. It is a 6 ply commercial tire made by Dunlop. I bought it for $143.00 plus $19.00 shipping and received it in 3 days. It is almost an inch taller than the E3. Google Austone Taxi Tire and you will find it. It is rated for 99 MPH and that might be a deterrent for some but I don't plan on running 99 MPH myself; even on my Valkyrie.

Dubs

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
Remember what happen to Anikin Skywalker when he went to the dark side!!:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::action::action::action:
I don't know my Star Wars trivia, but did he not become stronger?:stumped:

oh boy, here we go..........:D

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

(In my most sinister Darth Vader voice...)

[align=center]"Use the camera, Dubs! Send pictures!"
[/align]

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

10-4! I will take pics tonight! I will also post pics of the install and details of my experience with the tire. I am really looking forward to this test and hoping it is what I expect it to be!

Dubs

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Best of luck to you Dubs I hope you enjoy it.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

IdahoRaider wrote:
Goldwinger wrote:

Yes but he had to wear a non DOT(Which means he couldn't ride a bike) helmet with eye holes that looked like the ugly ones on a 1800, for years, and died at a very young age with the worst case of asthma I have ever heard. And no right hand. :action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

The Austone is a much better suited tire for the bike, then what the Federal Formoza FD 2 is.

Glad that I wore that sucker off and I really like the Austone. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I am loving my Austone Taxi!

I got it on my 88 1500 now, finally mounted it. Got about 2k on it maybe and I love it compared to the E3 I took off.

I just rode some really back roads, back woods roads, through WV and VA, and it was so nice!

I like the lower rpms, about 2.25 for 55mph, 2.5 for 60, 2.75 for 70, just over 3k for 75.
Going around 15-25mph uphill behind coal trucks for about 50 miles was interesting LOL
Taxi tire took the slow turns on the up hill mountain roads very nice, even though some of the roads were not so nice. Higher speeds handle well also, went up Pilot Mountain NC. at normal posted speeds and the front tire on gravel was more a worry of slipping than the rear taxi!
I love that Taxi tire so far, wish we had something like that for the front also!

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

Chromo - my understanding is that Double darksiding is possible though personally I don't know much about it.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger wrote:
IdahoRaider wrote:
Goldwinger wrote:

Yes but he had to wear a non DOT(Which means he couldn't ride a bike) helmet with eye holes that looked like the ugly ones on a 1800, for years, and died at a very young age with the worst case of asthma I have ever heard. And no right hand. :action::action::action::action::action::action::action::action:

Try fighting with a light saber for a couple of years and see how long you live. PLUS, he had NO medical benefits:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

tybme wrote:
Chromo - my understanding is that Double darksiding is possible though personally I don't know much about it.
That's running a rear tire on the front also I'm doing that too but it's still a bike tire.

I'm not sure my tire on front is very good, I think it may have defects but is OK.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

OK, I did snap a few pics Friday night but I spent the weekend on an MSF range teaching a group to ride. Maybe I will get the opportunity to post some of those oics tonight. The Austone tire is significantly taller than the 60 series car tire that was on my spare wheel. It is a very close match up to the E3 in width and diameter.

Dusty, Thanks for the words of encouragement, you and the others running the Austone are what finally persuaded me to go this route. I'm looking forward to trying it on the Valk. I haven't found anyone running it on a Valk and I personally think it will be a nice replacement.

Dubs

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

I don't know much about the Austone Dubs. How does it compare for size on the Valk? The Valkyrie runs a larger size.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.