Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I just received my replacement fairing last night. The glove box was locked and I didn't have the key, so I went about carefully dismantling the shell to get behind the latch. Anyway, as I'm going through all this I'm finding components not in my old fairing, and looked through my Factory Service Manual and found that I have all the components for the Clarion Type II radio except for the actual control panel! I'm told that the radio worked fine before being parted out, but that the control panel has gone missing.

My question is this - should I bother trying to find the Clarion radio, or just strip the parts (except the speakers), sell them, and buy some sort of marine stereo?

I would love to have the original equipment for reasons of nostalgia, but I also want it to work well. I'd prefer to have a nice, working $75 Wal-Mart model than a not-so-nice working Clarion. I just don't have any experience with these, so I'm asking for honest opinions.

Should I decide to get the Clarion, where could I get one?

Jack
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
596 Posts
imported post

A "Wal Mart" stereo, 40 watt booster / graphic equaliser and two way weatherproof speakers are the trick way to go. Sounds excellent. Only problems are mountingwaterproofing (obviously). Ive installed such a system on all my cycles except Goldwing, on it I just added eq/booster and better speakers.

http://gl1200harness.tripod.com/gl1200_photo_album.html(last photo at bottom of page)

Probably have a hard time finding Clarion parts, quite old and probably big $$$

Truck stop is good source for radios etc.

The trick installation for the stereo is if you can put it in the left fairing compartment under the cloth cover (am I remembering it right?) Or is it a hard cover? If itll fit, then the cloth cover can be flipped over the stereo to water proof it.

Stereos with little tiny fiddly push buttons are bad, not only cant work them while riding, but water gets in and ruins them quickly.

Add an antenna signal booster and itll do wonders down there in the Tennesee hollers. Can possibly connect an antenna booster to a couple feet of wire in the fairing for an antenna.

Black 1/8" hair cell ABS plastic sheet makes great paneling to intall radio. Easy to work, but will cut you like a razor blade.

Eq and amp connect just like a car and allow you to tune the sound for your liking, plus plenty of power to overcome the road noise. I was once pulled over by a cop for cranking it up through town. - on a motorcycle!!

Speakers - get suspension woofer type (rolled cone) with a separate tweeter in the middle, not a "dual cone." Sound much better. and no tweeter cone to be destroyed in the sun. Spray the woofer cone with Scotch Guard to weatherproof it, it doesnt hurt the sound. Ive even covered the speakers with plastic sheet and it doesnt hurt the sound too badly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

On my '83, I plan to go with the CycleSound system. I had one on my old Vetter fairing back when I was playing with Kawasaki bikes, and I have a couple of the CycleSound Hondaline radio housings I am going to try and mess with.

Not sure how much I will use it, mostly I like to get on the bike and ride, just to get away from the cell phone, radio, etc...

Raymond
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
612 Posts
imported post

You can still obtain the control panel for the Clarion, I've seen them on Ebay before. The nice thing is it will innterface with the intercoms etc., that is if it all still works!
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Eamonn1200 wrote:
You can still obtain the control panel for the Clarion, I've seen them on Ebay before. The nice thing is it will innterface with the intercoms etc., that is if it all still works!
I think Eamonn has the right idea if you want to keep the bike original. There have been several on eBay over the past months. I've done around 50 transactions through eBay, mostly buying and have had excellent results. I think most of the guys parting out bikes are basically honest, not much real opportunity for running a scam there, not like selling whole bikes though I bought my '86 1200SEI on eBay too. One thing about the Clarion was that it was pretty waterproof compared to an automotive unit. Of course Goldwinger 1984's mention of a marine unit would be good too for that reason.

:waving::waving::waving:
 

·
The Irish Crew
Joined
·
3,932 Posts
imported post

First time I took the saddle off my GL1100 (US import) I found a square hole cut out of the base under the pillion area. About 2" of foam was removed as well, a very neat job. I always wondered what goodies were stashed there before the bike left the US. Needless to say it was empty when I took possession. :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
First time I took the saddle off my GL1100 (US import) I found a square hole cut out of the base under the pillion area. About 2" of foam was removed as well, a very neat job. I always wondered what goodies were stashed there before the bike left the US. Needless to say it was empty when I took possession. :(

Umm...

Did you buy it from a guy who liked to take the ladies out?

I have a bad feeling about what was in that little hole.

It's not appropriate to post here, but PM me, and I'll let you know what I'm thinking.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
FitzAl wrote:
First time I took the saddle off my GL1100 (US import) I found a square hole cut out of the base under the pillion area. About 2" of foam was removed as well, a very neat job. I always wondered what goodies were stashed there before the bike left the US. Needless to say it was empty when I took possession. :(
Umm...

Did you buy it from a guy who liked to take the ladies out?

I have a bad feeling about what was in that little hole.

It's not appropriate to post here, but PM me, and I'll let you know what I'm thinking.
Starts with a V, doesn't it, and costs about $75. I told the wife I oughta get her one and she said she would stick to the real thing.;)
 

Attachments

·
Other side of the pond
Joined
·
3,409 Posts
imported post

I must be ggetting old. I didn't see the funny in the picture yesterday. Now I get it. :cheeky1:
 

·
Older and Wiser
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
I must be ggetting old. I didn't see the funny in the picture yesterday. Now I get it. :cheeky1:
Maybe different humor on each sideof the pond. :clapper:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top