Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Two weeks ago, on October 11, 2008 (a day that will live in infamy), I traded my beloved Electra-Glide for a new Goldwing GL1800. After two weeks and about 1000 miles, I could not be more impressed. Obviously I had reason to believe that I would like it better than the Harley or I wouldn't have made the trade. But if I would have known that I would love it this much I would have bought one a long time ago. This is one magnificent machine! I love it! After one week I took my first long ride of about 350 miles. Even without a backrest and without highway pegs (both of which I had on the Harley), it was still more comfortable than the Harley at the end of the day. The seat is more comfortable, it rides better, handles better, runs better..... need I go on? I truly loved that Harley, and I'm saying nothing bad about it, but this Goldwing is clearly a better bike. Better in all categories. I never looked back and I don't miss the Harley one bit.

There are two things that I miss. One is my good Garmin GPS. The GPS on the Goldwing is nice and the maps are clear and big enough to actually see them and use them while you're riding. But there are many things it cannot do. I expect I will have to find some type of mount so I can use my old GPS which I still have. If anyone has any advice on that topic I would appreciate it. I need to find the best way to mount and power my Garmin.

I also miss my CD player. The CD player on the Harley was capable of playing MP3 CD's and I made my own on the computer at home. They would often hold 60 or more songs. There is no CD player on the Goldwing (unless you pay $1200). It has a connector for an MP3 player (IPOD, etc....) in the left fairing compartment, but there is no power for it, so it is running off the tiny battery in the IPOD, which is Mickey Mouse. If anyone has any good suggestions in that department I would appreciate that as well. Ideally, I would like to have a CD player, compatible with the Goldwing controls,that would play MP3 CD's, but did NOT cost $1200. (But even if it did, I could live with that.) My second choice would be the MP3 player, but it must be powered by the Goldwing, and go on and off with the ignition.

I love this motorcycle and I plan on keeping it a long time, so I don't mind doing a little work and/or spending a little money to set it up the way I want it. But I want it right and not some half-assed setup. If anyone has any suggestions for the GPS or the music, I would like to hear them. You people have been very helpful to me in the past. I thank you in advance.

I am happy......... Rick

P.S. I'll change that picture next chance I get. Out with the Harley, in with the Goldwing!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Del Que - There is a power connector in the left hand pocket as an accessory that you can plug into or you can add one by removing the pocket to access the red 3 connector plug and plug in the accessory socket, and drill a hole in the left hand pocket to install it permanently. It sounds like you have the Navi version of the Goldwing. There are GW- CD players on Fleabay that go for around $400 with the attachment kits for another $250 or so. I don't have one myself because my Garmin Zumo has a built in MP3 player that can run through the AUX jack.

Good luck!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Ram mounts are a very nice way to mount your GPS and they are reasonably priced.

http://ram-mount.com/

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

:waving:Well you sound a lot like myself. I rode those Hardley's for a long time. Loved them, then I messed up and took a ride on an 1800 one day, has been all forward since that day. They are quite the machine, that is a fact.

The best deal to mount your Garmin is a RAM mount. They are available lots of places, but to get the one with the mounting ring for the Wing handlbar, you can go to their web site and find it. The RAM is the best and can be quickly and easily adjusted if you want to.

An MP3 or IPOD or something like that is far superior and much cheaper than a CD player. Yea it takes a bit of time for a dummie like myself to learn to load songs on one, but even I learned to do it in one evening. Mine is about two inches long, one inche wide and very small and will hold enough songs for a 4 day run and never hear the same one twice.

There is a power connector under the left fairing pocket, intended for the installation of an accessory power outlet. There is also under the pocket another pin connector that is made for an accessory line and mini plug to plug in an MP3 player , and run it through Aux on the bike.

The best of all things is you can rig the power for the MP3 and the Garmin to the same power supply without overloading anything. Neither pull much power or a high amp load. A power supply installed in the pocket will also allow you to remove the Garmin if you wish and put it in the trunk for safe keeping, if your garmin is like mine the power lead is secured to the unit.

You will need an interface cable from a specialty store that will allow you to run the Garmain, the MP3 and still use the Navi and CB if so equipped. It allows all the intregrated componets to properly relate to each other and work as designed.

Cannot think of the name of the place to get that cable, will be back in a moment with the name of it, is on the vendor list on this site, for some reason I cannot remember their name.

Kit

Kennaday Technologies is where you can get the interface cable. Also I do not know which Garmin you have, but mine has a built in MP3 player in it, or I can use the little one, either way. Kit

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Hey Rick

Well let me start off with the ipod charging setup I have

I got mine at Wingstuff.com part # EC 03120 Cost 98.99

It charges it and plays at the same time Works GREAT it plugs into a

connector in the bike

So lets talk about the GPS I have a garman and I install the black disk

that comes with it onto my dash right in front of the tack and plugged it

into the cig lighter Works GREAT

I will Go and take some pics and sent them to ya

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

So you can't see your tach, when the GPS is in place?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

I Guess When It Hits The Rev Limiter Its Time To Shift

RIGHT

I just listen to the motor

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Do not pay any attention to those 1500 guys. They need a tach, to help keep up. :D With the 1800 just let out the clutch and crack the throttle and hang on, tachs are not needed, only a very strong strap on your helmet. :cool::cool::cool:Kit

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

:dude:

I take that as a compliment......

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Congratulations on the new GL1800. As for the CD player, try Wingstuff.com. I'm an MP3 guy and as for power, you can order and accessery jack to run the GPS or the MP3 player from.

Roryrob

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Congratulations Del Que. I know you worked hard to come to that decision. I know you will be happy with yours as I am mine. I found the Honda power outlet that easily plugs in for $35 works just fine. It even comes with a rubber seal so when you are not using it you can keep stuff out of it. I have used mine a couple of times to power my phone or MP 3 player. Although my MP3 player goes for a VERY long time without a charge. I rode 13 hours each way to Tombstone AZ and it was only down about 1/3 battery even with constatnt running. I ususally run mine all day - from the AM commute to work - all day while at work and then home - then charge it at night. The D/C outlet is just "insurance for me - and utilitarian if I want to blow up an air mattress or use a power airpump for tires, etc...

My understanding is they are simple to install - I had my dealer do it with my other do dads when I bought the bike and it took them less than 10 minutes to get it installed.

Welcome to the World of Wings!!

Here is a link to mine on Wingstuff:

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/440_Power_Plugs/64_GL1800_Hondaline_12V_DC_Fairing_Power_Socket/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F440_goldwing_Power_Plugs%2Fdes%2F

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
imported post

I purchased an Ipod Nano second generation. After a full battery charge it will play for over 20 hours with the volume control turned up all the way. Plugged into the Aux lead in the 1800 left fairing pocket it provides lots of tunes for an impressive amount of time.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Thanks for the tip on Wingstuff.com. I've already found several things that I don't think I can live without!

Rick

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Do not pay any attention to those 1500 guys. They need a tach, to help keep up. :D With the 1800 just let out the clutch and crack the throttle and hang on, tachs are not needed, only a very strong strap on your helmet. :cool::cool::cool:Kit
Good One Kit............

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

I rode my 2001 goldwing from O'Fallon, IL. (my brother lives there) to San Antonio, Texas and I listened to my Zune 120gb all the way. The adapter plugs into the left pocket that you mentioned and has a cigarette lighter type plug on it. I got the cigarette adapter for my zune and off I went. Welcome to our wingworld. Remember to checkout GWRRA and the wingworld monthly magazine.

Tee

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.