Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Wife and I designed and she did most of the assembly. HF Trailer, with BBQ Grill from Academy Sports. The large part of the grill is carpeted for luggage and the smaller grill in the back is actually a working grill. Total cost about $700. Total weight about 250lbs. Pulls straight and great. Pulling it to Sturgis in about 2 weeks. Should be a 3100 mile round trip when it's all said and done. Been practicing by pulling back and forth to work and up and down the highway with a 20lbs bag of charcoal in it. Any advice or comments welcomed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,619 Posts
imported post

Looks like a party to me! :cooldevil:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

1 comment, I Want it!!!!!! Now that is surely sweet. Can you draw up some plans and share them? I want to build one like it as I love to grill when on the road at the campgrounds.

Do some close up pics of the way you mounted the grills and which brands/models you used. Also did you modify the trailer kit in any way or use it as is right out of the boxes?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

CGLENNP....My oldest daughter has one just like yours.
We cooked BBQ'd pizza on it just the other night.
It's true......and the pizza was great!

Nice adaptation. :action:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

The only modification to the trailer was cutting it down to where it was 2ft wide, 4ft long. Had the axle cut and rewelded for $50. Use theoriginalspindle and buy a spare set of bearings from HF and repack the bearings with a good grease. The grill is the $150Char-Griller with the firebox. There's nothing close enough for the heat to effect anything. It's 1/2in. from the luggage dept and the trailer is painted entirely of grill paint anyway. The only set back is the grates in the rear grill rattle when in rough parking lots, don't hear a thing when on the highway.We currently have no locks on the lids because we didn't want to detract from the original look.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

2Slim - Would love to see your daughters trailer and method of grilling pizza. That sounds awesome!.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

A thought came to mind after looking at the pic some more.

How's the tongue weight on it? The reason I ask is because you have the spare tire mounted forward of the axle and most of the weight of the luggage area is forward of the axle too.

Try loading it for a trip with the tongue stand sitting on a bath room scale and try to limit the tongue weight to 25 lbs, then see how it tows before going to Sturgis.

Don't forget to put some weight in the cooler to simulate it full of ice and drinks.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Actually, tongue weight is exactly 0 at ball height when not loaded. I put the spare in front of the axel to add weight to the front. When behind the axle, it lifted up the tongue and caused the bike's rearend to float when riding solo. I actuall overloaded the trailer last month with 200lbs of pamphlets and paper for a 100 mile delivery and still had just 25lbs at the tongue. The 20lbs bag of charcoal rides as far front as I can get it just for weight. Whenever I pull it for fun, I have to put weight in it just to keep it stable. I certainly appricate the advice. I keep a $20 digital fish scale on hand for weight checks.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

CGLENNP wrote:
Actually, tongue weight is exactly 0 at ball height when not loaded. I put the spare in front of the axel to add weight to the front. When behind the axle, it lifted up the tongue and caused the bike's rearend to float when riding solo. I actuall overloaded the trailer last month with 200lbs of pamphlets and paper for a 100 mile delivery and still had just 25lbs at the tongue. The 20lbs bag of charcoal rides as far front as I can get it just for weight. Whenever I pull it for fun, I have to put weight in it just to keep it stable. I certainly appricate the advice. I keep a $20 digital fish scale on hand for weight checks.
I'd still try to figure out how to have at least 15 lbs of tongue weight when totally empty. I have my spare mounted under the rear to offset the weight of my full cooler which is a 54 qt Coleman. It's pretty heavy when full of drinks, food and ice.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

Great job! But now I'm hungry... Hmmmmmmm.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

nifty design, nice job...

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

Nice job I like it:action::action:

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

CGLENNP wrote:
It looks great but you should do something to get a little tongue weight. It should be about least 10% of the total weight empty and probably no more than 30 pounds or so loaded. It may not be an issue if it never gets pulled very far (or fast) when it's empty.

Jeff...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I too Like it. A LOT.

I always like the things that are different and it's huge plus if it's practical and you fit both.

Thanks for the look see.

Cant wait for more pictures.

Excellent job. Pats on the back to You and your Wife.

Mohawk

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
Now thats sweet.......:clapper:
DOUBLE DITTO!!!!:clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.