Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again,
I had the weirdest thing happen to me today at a stop sign. I was getting ready to leave and gave it throttle but rpm would not go up. Then they finally came up and I could leave after revving a couple times. I have noticed at about 1200 rpm's it seems to have a flat spot and then would accelerate after that, right of idle. Are these bikes cold blooded ? I only let it warm up a min or so today but it's in the 70's. I did pour some seafoam in it the other day as it the bike had set awhile. Just not sure if it carb gunk, cold blooded or maybe accelerator cable.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Early GL1500's were known to have idle and flat spot issues. There was a recall for this but not all owners got it done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 89 as well. I just had the same problem fixed, as many other pre 90 gw owners have had done. It could be a number of things, my guess with yours is carbs, since it started doing this after a sea foam treatment. i'd imagine something broke loose in carbs and is stuck in a passage.
Good luck, Skip

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The flat spot was actually there before seafoam but I agree something probably broke free. I rode it back and forth a bit today and nothing else
has happened. Still seems to be flat on occasion so changing the fuel filter tomorrow. The fellow I bought the bike from said it had been sitting a bit with stabil in it. Drove it home originally and added fresh fuel but still had a couple gallons of the old fuel in it. Will run some more seafoam through it and see if it clears out. Gonna run it long and hard mannana.
:badgrin:

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Hi Transam1, I'm no carby guru, but I had a similar issue (if it's not the early 1500 "flat spot" issue) and turned out to be one of the idle jets was blocked, so when you went to move only some of the gas (as in one carb) was gettin' there, then as the revs increased, the other jets took over and yer on your way. These two jets sit right at the top of the carbs and you can see them working (or not) with the air filter housing off. I hope you get some more knowledable members to advise you tho before you delve into your carbs, but when I cleared the blockage in (one of) mine,( which had been sitting for many years previously), she was really good to go, and even better with recently replacing the throttle cables, very smooth now.
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I think that the jury is still out on the trigger wheel.From what I've read most say it only makes it harder on fuel and doesn't cure it.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Yes they are a cold blooded beast, and take a while to warm up. If you have no more issues once warmed then it's likely that you just rode off a bit soon.
Try warming up a bit longer and snapping the throttle have a dozen times or so.
I like to choke and then throttle snap for about 2-3 mins. total, depending on outside temp. Then I shut off the engine while I get dressed to ride. This lets the engine heat soak a bit and it will idle better on restart. When cold they idle a bit low and lumpy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes they are a cold blooded beast, and take a while to warm up. If you have no more issues once warmed then it's likely that you just rode off a bit soon.
Try warming up a bit longer and snapping the throttle have a dozen times or so.
I like to choke and then throttle snap for about 2-3 mins. total, depending on outside temp. Then I shut off the engine while I get dressed to ride. This lets the engine heat soak a bit and it will idle better on restart. When cold they idle a bit low and lumpy.
Believe you may be right as it ran fine back to work, at least not stall. The idle is rock steady so I will run it then dose it with Seafoam again. Also plan on lubing up the cables.
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.