Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well I have put 120 miles on her and I gotta say that she feels like she is pulling an anchor on take off. my 750 and 450 hand more get up. I have already replaced the plugs, the PO had some autolites with the tip still screwed on. She handles great, although I think the rear suspension is leaking down. and the Christmas tree is coming off, I think. The wife likes the extra lites. I don't like the look. Now is she supposed to feel so lazy on take off? I had a 1200 LTD and that thing was bad off the line. I have already put some sea-foam in the tank and will run it out. I'm sure a carb sync and valve adjustment is in need. another thing, my canceling signals will not work on left hand turns, works fine on right hand turns. Looking forward to working on another wing and giving it the TLC it deserves. Also I will be needing some grips, any suggestions will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,784 Posts
imported post

You should have no trouble taking off from a stop . I would put the bike on center stand and give the wheels a roll by hand , to see if you have a brake drag problem .Though if they were dragging I think you would smell them heating up the pads.If not the brakes then its nearly got to be the carbs not fueling enough .

The 1100 does have a vacuum advance but it doesnt seem to be a problem when it fails to advance ( normally from a bad vacuum diaphram) .

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

JMO, I would get rid of the lights, and any other gaudy looking accessories. I like a clean look. I have a 1200LTD, and it came with over 50 pounds of ugly (to me) accessories that quickly went into the dumpster, then another 20 pounds or so of LTD specific stuff that didn't work, the complete stereo system, cruise control, on board compressor and self leveling system, and trip computer. Should have a lot more load capacity now. But fast it isn't. My Kawasaki Vulcan 750 will easily outrun it off the line, but it is a high tech v-twin, and weighs about half as much. I have never ridden an 1100, but when there is a performance issue, especially if the bike has sat for more than 3 months, the first thing I usually suspect is plugged up carbs. That usually has other symptoms as well, such as hard starting, and especially hesitation and big flat spots throughout the rpm range. like it isn't getting gas, which it isn't. Have you checked the compression?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

Hey... thats my bike!!! Haha.. nice to see another one with same/similar scheme..very very close anyways..

Really though..Congratulations!.. Sounds like a bit of tweaking is needed, but all in all looks like a great bike.

My 1100A is definately not any racer, but its not exactly any slouch either.. it doesn't even start pulling until about 3500 or more R's...they do lack low-end.. especially compared to most of the bikes listed in your Sig..as it looks like you have a few big V-twins there..stump-pullers more like.. where the 1100's are definately a bit more "buzzy/busy". You'll probably find you'll have to upshift on large hills occasionally(moreso then a V-twin for sure).. Mine runs a tad over 4k(about 4100)on the tach at 65mph..so she is up there maybe more then other years are..which is something I've heard before.

I can probably say though, if that bike is as clean as your pic shows you'll have years of service. My '82 is the cheapest vehicle I've ever owned, with the least needed repair..hands down, and they're very easy to maintain once you get to know them.. great find.. have fun. :)

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

You do have a few more lights on the rear then I do. I've got the same lightbar/bumper.. but only have the center/stock tail-light.. no other lights on the rear..

Other then that its got same luggage racks, same front bumper(thats what I've heard that frontal chrome piece called before..so..).. pretty cool..

These guys got some great tips too.. don't know what I can add to it.. its great info. :)

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
imported post

Hi Kevin, I have owned an 81 1100 Interstate and the 85 LTD. I can tell you that the 1100 does not have the low end power that the 1200 does, but when the rpm comes up past about 3000 she really starts to pull hard. If not, there is some problems to be found and most likely is the carbs. Has it been sitting for a while without being ridden? Good looking bike you have there also.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
Hi Kevin, I have owned an 81 1100 Interstate and the 85 LTD. I can tell you that the 1100 does not have the low end power that the 1200 does, but when the rpm comes up past about 3000 she really starts to pull hard. If not, there is some problems to be found and most likely is the carbs. Has it been sitting for a while without being ridden? Good looking bike you have there also.
She seems to pull really good around 3500. I guess I was expecting a little more oomph. One other thing I forgot to mention, the tach bounces bad at idle, is that normal? Because of the bounce it is hard to tell what the idle is. It seems high around 1200 or so. Suggestions on new grips will be appreciated, inexpensive, not necessarily kuryakyn. Thanks for all the info folks. I look forward to spending time getting to know this bike.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
imported post

What year is your Aspy? It has been a long time since I owned the 1100 but I think it has a tach cable. If so you could try pulling the cable and putting some lube on it. It that doesn't cure the bounce it will need replacing. Take a look at this link. You might find some grips you want.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_list/gl1100/263_goldwing_grips/des/

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the link Bellboy.
I do believe that my carbs need to be synced. She has a terrible stumble when you crack the throttle. The cold idle is accurate around 950, but the warmed up idle is about 1200. The engine sounds somewhat like a diesel when taking off. And at highway speed in high gear, she is somewhat sluggish on accelerating. So what is the best, easiest and least expensive way to sync the carbs? I am familiar with the vacuum gauges, but have heard of people doing it by ear and also on the bench with feeler gauges.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I find the easiest and quickist way is by ear. The gauges from over in england probly the best, I have motion pro's with the blue liquid and they suck,
Wilf

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure that the carb sync will correct the stumble. Might have some clogged up jets causing that or either the accellerator pump that gives a shot of fuel when rolling on the throttle. Anyway, here is a link for the Goldwing.docs site that has a good tutorial on how to sync the carbs on a GL1100.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=81

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I've got these on my 1100A..

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...o=/pgroup_list/gl1100/263_goldwing_grips/des/

They don't last forever...but last a considerable time when you use gloves, or even fingerless gloves..just keep the palm oils/sweat off as much as you can.. nicest thing is(at least for me)..they're very comfy...and easy to change out..I get a new pair every few years.

Kuryakyn's are the best, but pricey..and not as comfy in my experience. I have some on my 1800 for the "chromey" look.. and they look great(my wife(the boss)loves the look on the 18), but I don't need that for my little Wing..

My throttle response has never been what I call outstanding..its actually not great..until it gets up in the RPM's..but I've come to accept it, and even after tweaking/syncing/tuning and 16 years of ownership I've just accepted her as she is..still faster than most cars on the road though when I want it, and it really does run good.. the stumbling your experiencing is not normal though, as you've already figured out.....so..

These guys are definately giving good info.. and all of this can only get your bike in its best shape.. just get the RPM's up a bit, that might help the "chugging".. haha..this one just won't take off decently without a bit of wrist action involved...whereas alot of other cruiser/tour bikes you can just slip the clutch out then add throttle..not quite so with this year.

Good luck with your new Wing.. keep us posted. :)

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

oharaLTD wrote:
Thanks for the link Bellboy.
I do believe that my carbs need to be synced. She has a terrible stumble when you crack the throttle. The cold idle is accurate around 950, but the warmed up idle is about 1200. The engine sounds somewhat like a diesel when taking off. And at highway speed in high gear, she is somewhat sluggish on accelerating. So what is the best, easiest and least expensive way to sync the carbs? I am familiar with the vacuum gauges, but have heard of people doing it by ear and also on the bench with feeler gauges.
Have you looked at the plugs? Mine does the same thing and I recently cleaned the carbs. Looking at my new plugs my #3 carb is running rich so I need to pull them back off, recheck the jets and make sure the float level is correct. My idle speeds are nearly exactly as yours - 950 when cold and 1100ish when warm.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

since the warm idle is high it leads me to believe the po probably set it up to compensate for carbs that need to be sync'd

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ive rode a 1200 and its power compared to my 1100 is awsum its a major diffrence

my 1100 is fast its nimble but it is not a rocket off the take off after i hit around 3-4000 rpms then it gets in the power band and you really feel the power at that point under those rpms its alittle sluggish so i keep my rpms high going through town so i can have the throttle response or power at my disposal when i need it.

remember its a 800lb boat anchor powered by a 1000cc motor even on the best of days its never going to be a rocket

i did have my carbs synced after i bought it it did help alot, i also did a fuel filter, plugs wires ect all these things do help either way i figure its a cruising bike not a drag bike i just put my feet up and relax as long as my fuel milage stays average i figure its all good

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I haven't checked the fuel mileage yet. I know on the 750s and 900s, with out of sync carbs you get a lot of engine noise at low rpms. This girl sounds like a diesel when taking off. I'm not sure if it is spark knock or out of sync carbs. Whether the carbs are out of sync or not, checking can't hurt, if I do it right.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

DGrant wrote:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/263_grips/538_roadhawk_black_foam_goldwing_grips_w_chrome_end/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1100%2F263_goldwing_grips%2Fdes%2F

They don't last forever...but last a considerable time when you use gloves, or even fingerless gloves..just keep the palm oils/sweat off as much as you can.. nicest thing is(at least for me)..they're very comfy...and easy to change out..I get a new pair every few years.
DGrant, How do you get the grip off of the throttle tube?

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

oharaLTD wrote:
DGrant wrote:

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/263_grips/538_roadhawk_black_foam_goldwing_grips_w_chrome_end/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1100%2F263_goldwing_grips%2Fdes%2F

DGrant, How do you get the grip off of the throttle tube?
Razor blade.I've also used hairspray to adhere them before when needed, but lately new ones just stick on nicely. But yeah..a simple slice lengthwisewith a blade will free them.. once you have them started its easy. :)
PS.. hopefully your existing grips aren't glued with adhesive. Some folks might do that.. don't know about that.. but I've never needed too.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
imported post

If your current grips have a small hole in the end of them you can use compressed air to get them off. Just insert the blowgun nozzle in the hole and pull the trigger. It will swell up the grip and it will just slip off. If you are not interested in saving them then just do as the above post suggested and slit them length wise and they will come right off.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.