21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
imported post

I used to have some tan colored leather grips on the 85 LTD I used to have. Had them on there for over 20 years and were still on it when I sold it last year. They still looked good too. Those really hold up well. I bought them at a Alabama State GWRRA rally and if I remember correctly they were about $15. Bet they are a whole lot higher than that now.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I can imagine the leather would last alot longer.. foam doesn't..that's for sure.. I've replaced mine every few years... Good info Bellboy.. thanks. :)

PS..yes, they're probably a tad more then $15 now.. haha..

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Has to be the carb or a brake drag because on my 83 dressed 1100 if i let it go from a stop light and give some it takes off and flys and my 82 nakesd is so fast in any gear its so much fun plus all the extra weight of the light will not help

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,207 Posts
imported post

Hey Fella welcome to GL1100 land, all I've got to say is that when you go into a serious turn, make sure you're carrying 3,000 rpmthrough it! and you will love that bike, nuff said. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
imported post

Thanks for all the replies folks. I talked to a guy today that has run his own shop for thirty some years. I asked him if he had the 5mm adapters for the vacuum gauge and his reply was, " I haven't used those things in thirty years". He said it probably hasn't been run as much as the guy I got it from said and recommended two or three tanks of high end fuel system cleaner. I talked to a buddy of mine and he suggested a gallon of 114 racing fuel in the tank along with some chevron techron and a good long run on the highway.
Can the accelerator pump be adjusted without removing the carbs?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i replaced my accelerator pump last year i wasnt aware there is a adjustment on it

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

I don't know about other bikes or histories of them..

I can honestly say though, I thought my 1100 was "ALL THAT" until I bought my 1800. The 1100 is just a different bike with much less low-end then most bikes. I rode my 11 the other day a few times, and it doesn't run any diffent then it ever has.. but what I've got to compare it too is so much more advanced...

I'm just thinking someone that has alot of experience with the V-twins(Shadows, Harleys, etc..)..is not going to be impressed with the GL1100 in the lower range..and it really doesn't matter what year V-twin..the V's just have more torque there.. In the long run the GL1100's have an edge, as when those V-twins are red-lined.. the 1100 is still climbing and passing the V's like standing still.

I may be way off here.. as this is only my observation..I still like my 11.. its got a very classic ride, stretches out further then the 18, feet are "up" a bit higher..slower clutch action(being a cable)..so ..I guess I'm saying the 1100 is an apple, and all other bikes are oranges. Haha..
Have a great day. :)

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

oharaLTD wrote:
This girl sounds like a diesel when taking off. I'm not sure if it is spark knock or out of sync carbs. Whether the carbs are out of sync or not, checking can't hurt, if I do it right.

My GL1100 tends to knock on take off too; same noise you hear if you shut off the fuel valve and run it out of gas. I sync'd the carbs, and that didn't eliminate it, so I feel like I need to jump into the carbs and clean them up -- especially the low speed jets.

I keep putting it off, trying simpler stuff, you know, like adjusting the valves, which is on the docket for this week. (I'm new to mechanical stuff and apprehensive when it comes to carbs.) Will feel lots more like at least a half-*ssed mechanic once I get the carbs out, cleaned, back in and the bike running well.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
imported post

I'll probably adjust the valves next week. the owners manual list a lot of oil changes, with some gaps between owners but never anything about valves belts or other maintenance. I will also be pulling the covers to check the belts. I'm gonna hold off on the carbs and just run three or four tanks of high dollar fuel cleaner through it.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

look at the belts???????
will there be a notice on them if they are about to break?:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
look at the belts???????
will there be a notice on them if they are about to break?:ROFL:
when I changed my belts on my 1200 I wrote the date and mileage on the inside of the cover with a permanent marker.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

ya know, i truthfully never even thought of doing that, but i aint about to take the covers back off now to note it, guess i will just put a note in the owners manual

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.