Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again.

I think this is the 3rd thread I have started in the past couple of years after buying a Goldwing. Only THIS time, I actually bought one I could ride down the road!!! I traded my naked 79 with bent valves for a running rideable 81 LTD 550 and my 86 Interstate is still stripped of its plastics for paint and the rest of the bike for new tires, belts, fork seal, wheel bearings etc. Now I'm the proud owner of a 1989 GL1500 with 57K miles.

The first question I'd like to ask on the 89 is......does anyone know the length and sizes of the bolts and spacers that hold the grab handles on through the seat? The previous owner had the seat off because the battery was bad. he went to WalMart and bought a new cheap acid battery and was filling each cell to the top and then when he came to the last two he ran out of acid. So, he siphoned enough out of the first four to (appeared to anyway) fill the last two. He got it started and it worked ok until I left the key in the P position overnight by mistake. I tried to charge the battery but it just kept getting hot so I went to O'Reilly's and bought a maintenance free battery (which is what I wanted in the first place before the seller got one) and everything is good now.

So i go to put the seat back on and find that I'm missing some pieces. The bike has a set of adjustable foot rests for the passenger and the top bracket on each side goes to one of the seat bolts, obviously with a longer bolt and some kind of spacer/s. I've decided to take those foot rests off completely but now I have no idea what length spacers SHOULD go from the grab bars to the frame. My manual shows the spacers but not the length. I can make the spacers and get bolts but I thought it would save me a lot of time if someone has their seat off and can just measure them for me.

As far as the bike itself? I've never ridden anything that I could actually SEE out of the rear view mirrors!!! I'm having a terrible time with the heel toe shifter too. It has floor boards which so far I really like. But I don't like having to lift my right leg up onto the peg each time I want to use the brake. I find myself just wanting to use the front brake (only) which I know is not good.

I need to replace the front speakers so I've been searching the forum for advice on that.

I bought a harbor freight lift table to put it on this winter to do a deep cleaning and change the oil and belts too.

I'll try to get some pics up tonight also.

http://s583.beta.photobucket.com/user/LShuck/library/1989%20GL1500%20Goldwing

THANKS in advance for any and all help!!!

Larry

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
From the parts catalog the bolts are 8x50mm, looks like the spacers are part of the handles.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave!!

I wonder if they cut my spacers because they are flush with the back side of the handle but in my Haines book they appear to stick out at least a half an inch or so.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Thanks Dave!!

I wonder if they cut my spacers because they are flush with the back side of the handle but in my Haines book they appear to stick out at least a half an inch or so.
That's correct, installing certain backrests require cutting the spacers off.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
That's correct, installing certain backrests require cutting the spacers off.
That would be the markland backrest. They use longer bolts with the spacers for the backrest. Sold my markland so cannot measure for you.

Front speakers... Polk or Infinity 5 1/4" fit and are better than J&M. Do a search on them in this section. Get some speaker baffles too to put behind them for better sound(Crutchfield has them)

Floorboards .... yuk. Got rid of mine in short order. Keep your foot off the shifter between shifts so there is not undue pressure on the weak shift forks.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
why would you take seat off to change battery?
Wilf

·
Registered
39 Posts
shes a beauty, for sure. My new to me wing is an 89 as well, not nearly as pretty as yours, but it will be. I wish i had floor boards :-(

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Be careful what you wish for TMW. If you lived closer I would tde you my boards
for your stock set.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The stock seat bolts are hex head by the way. Try and find a genuine Honda service manual. They come up on ebay. While the Haynes and Clymer manuals are good, the Honda book has very detailed information.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the comments and advice.

ThatsMyWing, do you have pictures of yours on here? Mine looks a bit better in the pictures than in person, but I still think it will clean up pretty nice!

wilf, The PO already had the seat off, it does come down over the battery some so it does make it easier, but probably not necessary. I will usually take off extra things to make a job easier because I'm STILL(after 50 years)apt to lose my temper much quicker than I should!! It actually saves me time in most cases but not having to chase thrown tools:yelling::thumbsdown:

I looked closer at my grab handles and you can tell the spacers have been sawed off flush.

I found a Honda website that has detailed parts pictures and it shows the bolts and the plugs but the spacers are part of the handles. I'll just get some 1/2" spacers at Ace or cut some from tubing. I'll probably just order the bolts and spacers from Honda. Not much money.

Did my 89 come with the heel toe shifter or is that an add on? I do like the floor boards because they are closer to the ground so you don't have to lift your legs as high when taking off. I can see myself removing them though if I can't get used to them.

I don't see much riding time here until spring so that decision will be made later. For now I have to modify my HF table lift enough to comfortably and safely put the Wing on it for the winter, or at least until I get all the work and cleaning done.

IF I get it done sooner I'll take it to the storage unit and start on the 86.

Pretty sure that if The Lord tarries, I'll be buying one of these in the spring too. The fact that it removes in about 5 minutes is pretty neat. I'll bet that after having it attached for awhile, the reasons to remove it will become less and less. Anybody else have any experience with one?

http://www.towpacusa.com/?page_id=211

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The loose spacers are only needed for the longer bolts for the backrest. The original bolts are Allen bolts the size listed above by dave0430.

Floor boards are Aftermarket. All wings come stock with pegs and a shift lever.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The parts that were hooked to the seat were the adj passenger foot rests, not a backrest. The spacers built into the original grab handles have been cut flush. I think I have 2 of the original allen headed bolts along with the 2 longer hex head bolts that went through the footrest bracket.

Thanks for the info!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Passenger foot pegs on the seat bolts? That's Cobbed.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Passenger foot pegs on the seat bolts? That's Cobbed.
They are ADJUSTABLE(up & down)passenger footrests, for like smaller passengers. They are well made pieces, but for the ones who will be riding on the back with me, they can reach the factory ones just fine.

I'm going to NOT hold your 'cobbed' comment against you this time. :rollingeyes:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Get rid of that heal toe shifter... too dangerous to keep, because they commonly ruin the shift forks.

Hint: When you obtain new bolts for mounting the seat, grind a taper on the ends of them... so as to make it easier to install.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
VERY NICE!!!

I did notice one thing though, and I am by no means an expert, but only because I'm trying to get my grab handles put back on my bike. I think you may have yours reversed. From what I understand, the main handle part is supposed to be parallel with the ground. :? There's a little 'L' and 'R' on the inside part where the spacer sticks out.

Here's a pic.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/members/120009-kimswang-albums-tech-picture372-cupholder-3.html

By the way, what was the previous owners intent? Was that black primer or were they going to leave it that way? What are all the dots on the side covers?

Larry

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
can you modify the heel toe shifter or do I have to get a different 1 altogether
I don't know how you can modify it, short of returning it to the stock condition.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was wondering if I could just take a cut off wheel and remove the heel part? I guess I need to take a good look at a stock set up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.