Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of the fortunate ones, when your wife says you need a bigger bike you go for it. So we sold our '82i and got a nice 88 GL1500. Can't get over the difference in the feel of this bike. My only concern is in low speed cornering and turns. I can only describe it as the bike feels heavy, like you
have to push it around the turn, but then it feels almost wobbly, and turns
wide. At cruising speed it's great, nice and smooth. Has anyone else
experienced something similar to what I'm describing? Or is it just going to
take time to get used to?

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I went from an '82 Apsy to an '89 1500. I had issues with the notorious low rev hesitation, but other than that, the 1500 fitted me like a glove. I assume tire pressures are correct? Maybe just give it time?.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just got an 89 about a month ago. I have experienced the same thing with low speed. Also had the slow speed hesitation. When up to speed it will corner like a mad man. Think you just need to get used to the bike, I'm still trying to acclimate but getting better.

Another Chris

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I have an 88 1500 and it just takes a little time to get used to. I have had mine a little over a year now and love it.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I'm in the process of selling my '85 GL1200 Aspencade and am picking up a '95 GL1500 Aspencade with a trailer in less than two weeks; and riding it back to Minnesota from east of Houston, TX. I'll take a couple of hours to get used to it before hitting the road and plan to ride US highways the first 200 miles or so. Hopefully, it will feel fine.

I haven't heard about this low speed hesitation thing. I don't like such things and so will research how to eliminate it. Otherwise, from all I've heard about the '95 1500s it should be a great fit for me and for the long western road trips I'm planning. Can't wait to get my rear in the seat and my hands on the grips!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't recall a low speed hesitation, but in some of those turns I did notice that when I
gave some throttle it responded quickly. I figured I was just too jerky on the throttle,
and a little nervous since my wife was with me and I want her to really enjoy the bike.
A friend sent me some pics of what a 1500 can do and I'll share them as soon as my
wife shows me how. They are awesome.

Chris

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Cornpone, I almost forgot the most important part. Have a safe ride home
and enjoy the new toy.

Chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
Picked up my 88 GL1500 in april. Have put on just alittle over 3m Kms. on it so far. Same feeling when I got it, but it fits like a glove now. My wife absolutely loves it, she couldn't stand the Harley we had before. Good luck and ride safe.;)

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
When I moved from an 83I to the 94SE I felt the same . The bike seemed very heavy in slow turns . A little time in the saddle should have you feeling comfortable .

The 88/89s were known to have a hesitation just off idle . If I recall there was a factory change in some jetting to help with that .

The 95 should not have a hestitation unless its been sitting and the carbs are gummy . In that case perhaps SeaFoam will take care of it .

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
I'm one of the fortunate ones, when your wife says you need a bigger bike you go for it. So we sold our '82i and got a nice 88 GL1500. Can't get over the difference in the feel of this bike. My only concern is in low speed cornering and turns. I can only describe it as the bike feels heavy, like you
have to push it around the turn, but then it feels almost wobbly, and turns
wide. At cruising speed it's great, nice and smooth. Has anyone else
experienced something similar to what I'm describing? Or is it just going to
take time to get used to?

Chris
You really need to find a copy of the "ride like a pro" vid. They do a great job of explaining how to maneuver a big bike at low speeds. Huge...

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
You really need to find a copy of the "ride like a pro" vid. They do a great job of explaining how to maneuver a big bike at low speeds. Huge...
:claps:
Here is a sample from YouTube, you need to practice slow turns with the "friction point" of your clutch and keep your foot on the brake while giving it a little throttle. KEEP PRACTICING it will come in time and Enjoy your ride!!

·
Premium Member
67,667 Posts
It's possible a Fork Brace might help also.. I didn't notice any help at speed but it did help at slow speed turning............

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
I haven't heard about this low speed hesitation thing. I don't like such things and so will research how to eliminate it.
My 98 SE had the hesitation and it took awhile to compensate for it.

There is a technical "cure" for it involving addition of a timing component that essentially advances the timing and eliminates the hesitation. It's referred to as a "trigger wheel" and has been the subject of discussion here on previous occasions.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/366867-trigger-wheel-gl1500.html

Good luck.:)

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
It's possible a Fork Brace might help also.. I didn't notice any help at speed but it did help at slow speed turning............
Agree with the fork brace. The 1500 handles great when you get it rolling but you are right it does feel heavy when maneuvering around at really slow speeds. Heck it is heavy, but like others said, keep your hand on the clutch and foot on the brake and it's very manageable.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I have ridden them all (except the 1000) and like the 1100 best, followed by the 1200, then the 1800, then the 1500. If I had a choice of buying any of them brand new, it would be the 1980 1100 Interstate, with the 19" front wheel. I still feel that the 1100 Interstate was the pinnacle of Goldwing development. Enough, without being to much. And it was drop dead gorgeous. For a while I was shopping for a 1500, because parts are more readily available than for the four cylinder models, it is not fuel injected, and I cannot afford an 1800. But then the 1500 transmission issue came up (my former boss actually had this happen to him, at about 60,000 miles) and my 1200 is finally running much better and is now completely street legal, and, I don't know how much longer I will be able to ride a large bike. The 1500 is super comfortable on the highway, but it is a handfull in a parking lot, makes my 1200 feel like a toy.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. Nice to know it just wasn't me.

Chris

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Try some Seafoam in a couple of tanks of gas, might help :?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.