Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Dropped into my dealer Tuesday, my 85 Aspencade had a sold sign on it, apparently it's new home will be in Australia. A gentleman saw it on there Internet site and bought it sight unseen. He was over Thursday and finalized the deal, I was talking tohim on the phone, he had some questions aboutthe modifications I had done to the bike. I told him about this forum, and said it was the best place to getany information on 1200s or any other wings. Seems like a far way to go for a 20 yr old bike, but then I guess thatGoldwing smile is well worthany trip. :action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

It's nice to be able to track your bike. During the 80s and early 90s there was a big trade in importing Wings from the USA into Ireland. You often see on web sites such as the one here pictures of these Wings and former owners contact the new ones or post messages such as yours. It must bring back memories when you see your old bike years later on the web.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

I bought my 1986 GL1200 some four years back, it was being sold on someones behalf by Goldwing International in Knutsford Uk, The owner had only bought it for a run to Spain and had been stored outside his house for months during the winter period and was looking rather neglected and sorry for itself, upon purchasing the bike i joined up with Pennine Wings and later discovered that a club member had previously owned the bike and had bought it of a chap in the late eightyswhoimports themfrom Texas, He showed me photos of it in the packing crate and many photos of it around Europe this chap is responsible for the high mileage that was on it when i bought it:(.

It was also in better condition and he fitted it with many chrome extras, however the bike is now resembling its old self again after a lot of hard work and money spent on it in parts and chrome, i must admit though none of the chrome increases the speed or helps the handling in any way or form but it looks good.

WONDER IF SOMEONE HAS A BRAND NEW ENGINE LYING ABOUT IN A CRATE SOMEWHERE:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

One Gent sold his 85 and another his 86 ??? Whats the matter with these newer GLs ???it seems that people can't wait to get rid of them !!Mine is a 82 GL 1100 standard and I'm very Happy with it . If something is wrong with it , I fix it , Not get rid of it for a newer one . Don't get me wrongmine is nothing to brag about on my behalf , but mine has never let me down iether . Just my two cents . Dang , why do I always get change though , LOL . Happy New Years Everyone .

Zryder

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

I'd say that most of us buying a newer model woild keep our old Wing as well, if we could affored to, had the space etc. I'm lucky, there is a GL1200 and a GL1500 in our family and two of us share them. Best of both worlds really.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Z, I am with you on that. I can't see me getting rid of my bike. Parts are somewhat plentiful, and it's fairly easy to work on. True, you pretty much have to work on it yourself as no dealer will touch it, but I am handy with the tools...

A newer bike can't really offer me more than what my bike does now. Reliability is about the only thing that I would want, but I have taken a number of small trips and 1 long trip, and it hasn't let me down.

Malc, there was a brand new GL1200 motor in a crate that sold on ebay recently.

Raymond

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:I'm lucky, there is a GL1200 and a GL1500 in our family and two of us share them. Best of both worlds really.

Hey BRowan, :waving:Not yet, ! ! what about the :18red:Then you have best of both worlds. :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

AFFORD ???????? Dang a new Wing up here is over $30,000. Holly Mackrel . If I had more money than grey matter the customizing I could do to my older wing at a fraction of that price, and I wouldn't even owe anybody . If you can afford to keep it ???? How the heck can you afford to even GET ONE man-o-man . Oh I know , I've never won any of the big lotteries so the Gents with the big GLs after 88 , thats how , LOL . Its everyone else that has won a lottery , Why didn't I think of that in the first place . And if you got two in one family holey molley , money is flying there . I know , I know , I'm going to get alot of change back here . Ok , Take easy , make nice ( Z ) . Ok I'm done no more from me . I'll be reading and I'll take my lumps . Later Good People .

Zryder

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Zryder wrote:
AFFORD ???????? Dang a new Wing up here is over $30,000. Holly Mackrel .
The things are probably cheapest in the states, but still out of my reach. I visit Honda shops once in a while to sit on a new one, but then go out and fireup the 1200. I work hard rationalizing why I like the older ones best. I think my main bar to an 1800 is my enjoyment of being partially retired, just haven't been able to get back on that old 9-5 rat race since they started paying me to stay away from my old job!:clapper::jumper::cooldj::clapper::D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.