Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

My Image of Future Goldwings

• An upgraded 1800 with styling changes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bigger engine and more luggage space.

• Like a 1200 with modern technology.

• A hybrid type Wing, of some kind.

• Big tourers are anachronistic – nix 'em.

• No opinion, what Honda offers or go elsewhere.

• Other (please post on the thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Considering the questions we all have with the closing of the Marysville plant, such as “Will there be a Wing after 2010?” and “What will it be like?” I thought it might be a good idea for this forum to express our collective opinion to Honda by means of a poll.

This is not intended as another exercise in what bells and whistles we’d like, fun though those are. My idea was to set the poll questions to address broad concepts of what we expect.

I don’t personally believe that Honda has all that much respect for customer opinion any longer, however, if we don’t speak, we can’t argue with what we get.

For this to be valuable, we need a lot of members to vote, for this reason I have left the poll open for a long time, and I will bump it as needed.

Comments are welcome as well, of course but I would like to focus on concept and the reasons therefore.

I welcome any suggestions to change the poll questions in the next couple of days.

I imagine we could eventually move this to the feedback forum, but I feel it will get more exposure here initially.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

ok I voted, now I can gripe right :)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I voted but I'm not sure any of your choices fit what I'd like to see. I'd like to see something with an engine size like the 1800 but without the blasted solid lifters, have the space of the 1500 in the boxesat least, the rider comfort of the 1500 with the passenger comfort of the 1800 and ABS & airbag on all models.

John

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

I voted.........I would like to see more space in the saddle bags and trunk.

I went from a 1200 to an 1800. I absolutley love the 1800 one or two up until I pack for a trip.

Hence, I went out and bought a trailer now it's not an issue but I do miss the room in the bags.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I'm partial to more classic lines and of days gone by. So I vote for a retro.

However, I will never, unless something dramatically changes, be anything other than a used vehicle buyer . . . cars, trucks, bikes, and boats. I've got an old boat, an old truck, and two old Hondas all for less than half the price of a new 1800. Plus, my property tax and insurance are probably a 1/3 of the cost.

So Honda doesn't really want to hear from me and my love for the old stuff.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Not what I would like to see? But what I expect.

I think just due to the ways of the current world, the economics, the desire to be independent from fossil fuels and many other reasons, that the newer bikes will be somewhat downsized and maybe even designed to run on alternative energy means.

Would I be interested in one? No I would not walk across the street for one. I would naturally be curious about how it works, but for me, I want the biggest and most powerful motorcycle made. (that is still ride-able and functional)

For me that is the 1800. I would not be interested in a lesser bike.

Kit

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

I know what you mean Chuck! The only thing though Mother Honda will want to charge an arm and a leg for a "new" retro 1200 as well. My Dad and I just purchased a new 2008 GL-1800 CSC Cobra Trike yesterday because the 2009 prices are up considerably from the 2008. Sooner or later I think Honda is going to price the new Wings out of the price range of most of us. :shock:

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i have test drove the 1800s & love the handling but i own a 1500 & like the larger compartments. i can run arans & even travel with the 1500 without having to drag around a trailer that reduces fuel efficency & handling.

give me more cargo space on an 1800 but keep its current handling (improve it if posible) since it does have a sportier feel than the 1500.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

For Honda to make a smaller Goldwing America will have to make a smaller rider. That being said I look at the weight of a 1200 BMW and think it's time Honda made an updated 1200.

A sporty feel and look will be necessary to attract younger buyers.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
For Honda to make a smaller Goldwing America will have to make a smaller rider.
Then, what your saying is Flyone is restricted to the larger model, the rest of us could get by with a 1200.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

I'd be happy if they would make an 1800 with the bodywork of the 1500, and keep the ABS and the airbag, dump the Navi in favor of commercial off the shelf GPS that you can pick up anywhere, come standard with the CB radio, standard driving lights, and standard trailer hitch with wiring.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
imported post

I wanted to vote but it says that the poll has ended. :(:baffled::stumped::shock:

Cobra:15grey:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

What the f***k, it says the poll has ended already!! What happened to the long time setting for it?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I fixed the poll....just relax gentlemen. :)

I think when Steve stickied it, it defaulted to 0 days and closed automatically.

All fixed now.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
imported post

I voted other. I would like them to go back to the 1500 style, with some of the newer options that they have available for the 1800. I like the ride of the 1500, the storage space of the 1500, and as far as power goes, who needs more power than the 1500 has? Streamline the body a little, more fluid lines, and go to radial tires for sure. JMHO

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
I voted but I'm not sure any of your choices fit what I'd like to see. I'd like to see something with an engine size like the 1800 but without the blasted solid lifters, have the space of the 1500 in the boxesat least, the rider comfort of the 1500 with the passenger comfort of the 1800 and ABS & airbag on all models.

John
I hear you, but that is getting in to details. I was trying to get a sense of do people want to go bigger, smaller, stay the same or go in a completely different direction.

We know from many previous threads that there is a wealth of ideas out there, but I think it is important to tell Ma the general direction we would like to go in.

If anyone has an idea for better poll wording, spit it out, I'm sure a mod could edit it.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

'K .. my vote is in too and I see I chose one of the top 3 so far.;)

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Its my bet that whatever sells the best is what they produce. A hybrid suggests a purpose, a niche. To this day all the hybrids are subsidized in detroit, so I doubt there is money in them.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.