Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

My red scooter is black

851 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Peter Goldwing 
#1 · (Edited)
A bit of nostalgia about this scooter. !2 years ago we ran out of money buying what it was our vacation home. Then we spent thousands on painting it, getting appliances ,furniture etc. We made our vacation home"ours". The only new appliance was left to buy was a new dishwasher. Mean time we stopped at a scooter place and inquired about the price. It was just under $1000.00, but I didn't have the extra money to spare. We needed a new dishwasher.
Then my wife said, "frig the dishwasher, we'll buy it another time, the scooter will bring you more joy"
It definitely did. We rode it all over, restaurants, local grocery store, beach garage sales etc. It was the prelude for more serious biking.

I took good care of it and it served me well but now it looks in deplorable condition. It still runs good.
It started when I lent it to my friend"s son. He dropped it and broke many parts. He returned it to me with "I'm sorry"
A bit later my son used it and put it on kickstand facing downhill. More broken parts and more"sorry"

A week ago I forgot it at one of my construction sites. My new drone had arrived and I chased down the Fedex guy to get it.
I parked the van at home not realizing the scooter was at the construction site with the key in it.
The second day a cop knocked at my door and brought me the scooter's plate.
I thanked him figuring somehow it came loose.
But when I looked for the scooter at my sons house it wasnt there. I realized someone had stolen it.
I reported to the cops.
Two days later they called and asked me if my scooter was spray painted black. It wasn't. Then they asked me if I had any bungee cord on it and it did, a 6 inch one on the luggage box mount. They told they most likely had my scooter.
I went to get it. As I thought, it was a 12 years old kid who grew with the wrong parents, that stole it. I opted not to press charges after he apologized.
I could see from his front yard that the parents are losers. The father looked like someone you wouldn't open the door to in broad daylight.
The cop really appreciated that I did not press charges against the kid and explained to me about his rough life even though he is only 12.
The little guy tried to paint it black but his brother waived down the cops and initially said they found it in the woods.
I feel sorry for my scooter but happy nobody was hurt in the process.

See less See more
#4 ·
Sorry to hear your scoot was taken and damaged. But , you could actually turn the kids life around. Can he do some type of work at your construction sites? He could work to pay for the damage to the bike? Work to earn the bike from you, giving him a goal ? Work for some $ to help him feel some worth and realize with effort he can earn a living. I realize he is still in school and we are talking a construction site but if he could do something, clean up work or something perhaps just on Saturdays it really could give him life lessons for the better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.