Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting, but I must say that I am impressed.

I bought a roll of these.

The entire roll only draws 8.2 MilliAmps for the whole stinkin' roll...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Stuck the light strips to a thin aluminum strip, 1". Will glue that into the unit. All three strips draw 3.4mA... not bad...

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Where did you see the current draw figure? All the ones I have found for the same roll was much, much higher than that....

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you see the current draw figure? All the ones I have found for the same roll was much, much higher than that....
I hooked my meter in line...

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, hooking up a meter for current isnt exactly rocket science...

Ok, you got me... I rounded UP to 3.4mA from 3.38.

Whats yer point, Sam?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
If you look at your meter, if you have your meter set to DC mA, your leads should be in the COM and right hand mA plug. You have them in the COM and 10A socket, which is reserved for high current loads only. You have the blue mA symbol on the right hand socket, which corresponds to your meter setting. The left hand plug is only if you use the DC10A setting.

Be careful, that model meter only goes up to 200 mA in the right socket. So use the left socket and DC10A setting for anything above 200mA. So just set your dial to the DC10A setting for a true reading.

Manufacturers state 2 Amps per roll of 300 3528 LED's. Just wondering how you got it so low....

That's my point. And I kinda do play with a meter on a daily basis.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, so I derped. its in the details, ya? I know you know your stuff. I just wasnt seeing my error. Should have, for sure. This is my backup meter, was too lazy to limp out to the garage, although that is a lame excuse! The label is clear.

Ya got me again. lolz. Still aint bad... Reading .338 Amps. About 4 watts.

The original five incandescant, I think were 8 watts per, if I remember correctly. A good improvement.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Yeah - UBar -- you'll love the light (here's somone else's '88 that has these same 3528 SMD LEDs in the saddlebags (not in the trunk though) -- Visible is a good word!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Most of the mods I have seen up to this point have been 2 row, but I'd like to see 3 row ones.

I have some white ABS sheets on order, I want all my running lights to be LED if possible. Not for saving power sake, but for the extra brightness!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one back in, the other almost done. Liking what I see. Also, Hoping that I have enough left on the reel to do the trunk lights...

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
How was getting the lense apart?
Interested as I was going to do this project earlier this spring, but side tracked with other things right now. Even got a couple rolls of red 5050 leds too.
I was not only wanting to do the sidelights, but also wanted to supplement the led brake bulbs I got now (with modulator) to increase braking visibility. Want to increase the visibility, got rear ended a couple years ago at a stop light by a college student ---- surprise surprise --- on her cell phone.
Got the trunk brake / rear lenses out, but things looked a bit breakable. I suppose if I’d baked it, might have been easier, but backed off for now.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
that looks very nice Richard.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, top and bottom rear, and the amber sidelights are done.

The top lights were WAY glued together with a sticky gooey stuff. Patience got it apart. the front amber lights were together with what looked like cyanoacrylate type stuff. Again, patience. While the fronts were out, I added five single led's to the solid chrome area. 5mm led's, a resistor on each for 12v.

before...

After (two rows of leds in the lens)

top and bottom, done.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
On the amber side LED's did you use 3528 or 5050 LED strips?

With the 5050's you can add a voltage splitter and turn them into dual level brightness for turn signals.

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not sure of the numbers. The listing showed 354's. Very similar to the 3528's. I thought about writing the five individuals to the turns. Another day...

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
5050 has triple the LED's in the same area, essentially. Great for stop lights, turn signals, etc...

http://www.articlesbase.com/electro...ce-between-smd-3528-and-5050-led-3224179.html

There are several options where you can say, run a strip of 5050 LED's at 6 volts for running lights, and then switch to 12V for brake lights. I'd say way too bright to run at 12V all the time unless you get far fewer LED's per meter.

You got 60 LED's per meter strip, but I have seen 30 to 120 LED's per meter strips too.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
And I learned that 3528 and 5050 refer to the size of the individual LED chip.

3.5mm by 2.8mm versus 5.0mm by 5.0mm.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Those look really good.

Did you use the Red Led's in the Amber lenses too or did you buy a different roll there? I looked for Amber and the company told me they only had "Yellow" in the self stick ones.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.