Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got it all sorted out and my 77 GL1000 has a two barrel weber 32/36 installed.

I gotta say this unit runs better thanI expected.A turn here and a turn there on the idle screw and idle enrichment screw and its very smooth off idle once warm.This Wing has the throaty harley pipes which im going to swap out for the stockers.

Simpley sweet how it runs.

I can see some problems though with the intake runners.They get condensation on them for a long time until really warmed up.And the special adaptor manifold is ice cold and a lot of condensation on the outside.

I havent ridden it yet as ideas are running thru my head as to heat the entire piece with exaust radience.They really need a fast way to get heated and one thing i know is exaust is the first thing to really put out the heat.Just how much will be determined at a later date.

I dont care what they say about this conversion.I think its really cool and running thru the revs from 1000 rpm to 6000 is music to my ears.

Furthur develpement to come.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The reason for going to a single carb is many, but I won't go into all that crap again. Either you've never tried it, or never ridden a bike with it.

My Aspencade has an oil filter adapter that uses oil to heat the plenum. I didn't get to ride it much before a brake problem sidelined the bike for a little while. The hotter it got, the better it ran, contrary to what a few say. This bike has the same 2 bbl Weber.

My Interstate (CI kit with single Holley) has no heating at all, but I do plan to try heating a manifold just to see how it runs. I have another CI kit on the way, and I'll likely do it on that one.

So if you can, use the radiator water to heat your manifold, it will get hotter quicker and get hotter as well. I found a water pump cover and crossover pipe assembly from a '85 LTD that looks like it will fit just fine.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

The biggest reason to go to a single carb is cause I can.I have two sets of working stock carbs for this bike.I just wanted to give it a try and I think I can succeed where others have not in the fuel mileage department.
Besides I have a naked 75 completely original to ride if I want the fuel mileage and a host of other bikes to ride if im in thrifty commuter mode.
This conversion is for my own edification.and I love the sound of sucking air when the throttle is cracked.
As a Toolmaker by trade im looking forward to building some heat ducting for the aformentioned cold manifold problem.
Actually im really pleased so far.
Flatfour

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I get 37-40 on my Interstate but then again, it's got lots of extra weight on it as well.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

1500s have a nice cast alloy heat sink piece that bolts to the bottom of the carb assembly, and is plumbed for coolant to circulate through. If the bottom of your plenum is fairly flat, one of these may be eBayed for cheap, and adapted easily. Worth a look.

Checka parts fische for any 1500 carb assembly.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

What used water as a coolant or heat on a '85 LTD or '86 SEi?

The crossover pipe / thermostat housing and water pump cover has an extra nipple that plumbed into something on those two models, but no on the other GL1200's.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Wingnumberone wrote:
1500s have a nice cast alloy heat sink piece that bolts to the bottom of the carb assembly, and is plumbed for coolant to circulate through. If the bottom of your plenum is fairly flat, one of these may be eBayed for cheap, and adapted easily. Worth a look.

Checka parts fische for any 1500 carb assembly.
If it's 3" by 6" or so, it would work for me. I'll keep an eye out for one.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

My intake manifold is from a VW bug im pretty sure.The intake runners are custom made and fit up well to the heads.The intake manifold is not flat at all on the bottom,The website Jbugs has a pic of similar manifold.
It does have a threaded plug in it.I suppose something could be plumbed into the hole there but i don't think it can go so far in as to obstruct the mixture flow.
I started my 75 up with stock carbs and it seemed anemic in comparison.No exageration it feels 20% stronger with the weber vs the stock keihins.It idles great too.
I am glad i took on this project.Now I got a Gl1000 that sounds like a hot rod and can barbecue a tube steak on top of the engine with all that extra space down there.Seriously,im going to heat food on the engine now.

Flatfour

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The guy I bought the Aspencade from gave me this Weber manifold and pipes for a VW. With some mods, it will work too, but I see no way to make it heated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
imported post

I can't throw out any helpful information, but I'll throw this out for the heck of it. The long, unheated runners on this induction remind me of the older O200/O300 Continental aircraft engines. They are opposed engines and have long intake runners that make the engines prone to induction icing over a wide temperature/humidity range. Comparably sized Lycoming aircraft engines used a one-piece intake manifold/oil pan which generally heat the intake runners making this design much more icing resistant.

That info may or may not be useful, but my roundabout point is that all carbureted aircraft have a control which, when pulled, opens ducting from a heat muff around the exhaust manifold and directs it into the carburetor intake, thus melting the ice. It provides for a memorable experience when a lot of ice builds up and then is melted too quickly.

My uneducated speculation that if this induction setup is forming condensation on the intake runners in the summer, it is likely that it could form some ice in the right atmospheric conditions. The application of heat over the intake runners or in the induction may become useful at some point.

I assume no responsibility for the content or relevance of my post

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

If you are able to plug in a heated jacket on a bike, I would think you could use the electronics from a heated jacket & wrap your pipes. When you fire up, hit the switch & heat your tubes. You could use coolant as your secondary heat sourse once you hit operating temp & than shut down your primary electric heat.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Seems like a poster on here (plainly obvious who...) :whinger::whinger::whinger: took offense to what I originally had to say in my first post and just had to tell Randall. Geeez, thanks a bunch!

As for electrical heat, I don't think the poor stator could handle it. Reason I am thinking water, but electrical would be almost instant.

The problem with the plenum is the volume of air rushing through makes it cold, but I've never had it ice over. The manifold bends produce a good bit of heat, but since they are isolated by rubber from the plenum, they in turn get no heat at all.

I have many ideas, and not enough time!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
imported post

I had a ford 390 once that I had carb icing due to the way it was wet up. I installed a small tranny cooler inside the air cleaner and ran antifreeze through it. That helped alot. Then I added a cable operated valve to shut off once I was out of the icing stage.

Why could you have a tubing welded on the bottom of the manifold for heat. The temp drop will occur at the butterfly where the pressure drop is so the heat needs to be close to it as much as possible. Keep us updated.:action:

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

I did notice the water pipes are right under the entire setup on the GL1000.There is instant heat from the exaust and a consistant heat from the water tubes.If I can tap into both I have fast warm up with the exaust and consistant heat from the water tubes.
I have had some ideas I think,I have to take some measurements.
I know there are those who frown on innovation.

Flatfour

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:

The crossover pipe / thermostat housing and water pump cover has an extra nipple that plumbed into something on those two models, but no on the other GL1200's.
That was the cold idle air valve that used the coolant heat.

Vic

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

That VW intake sure looks promising. Are the runners about the same size as a wing?

John

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Silicon Sam wrote:

That was the cold idle air valve that used the coolant heat.

Vic
Thanks! Now that you mentioned it, I recall seeing an item on ebay off a LTD that had 2 water nipples, and either a sensor of relay plug on it. Was wondering what it did. Shame it isn't some sort of solenoid to shut off the water flow!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

johnmac wrote:
That VW intake sure looks promising. Are the runners about the same size as a wing?

John
Almost. Been a while since I looked at it, but if memory serves, the tubes were a hair smaller diameter, but any muffler shop would have a tubing stretcher that would take care of that problem, if they're careful....

They are pretty thin walled also.

The intake looks really cool. Nice and compact. If I could figure out a way to heat it, I'm in business. I'll take pics of mine if it's easy to dig from my parts pile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.