Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was up in Ohio visiting with my family for Thanksgiving; as tradition would have it, my brother took me around to all the bike shops so that would could see what’s out there.

We stopped at the used bike shop that was next to the local Harley store. There was a brand new Honda cruiser on the floor with only 190 miles on it. I asked the dealer about it and he said a guy traded it in on a Harley because his friends came in and brought new Harleys.

It just blew my mind that someone would trade in a bike with 190 miles on it just to play pirates with his friends. To me that’s the difference between a biker and a motorcycle enthusiast.

:doh:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

To me, that is the difference between a man with pot loads of money and one, like me, without. :waiting::D

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Yup...buying used is the way to go. The newest bike I had in my stable was a '77 Yamaha. ThenI caved in and bought a new-fangled 1995 goldwing earlier this year.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I must say that I was very interested in a 1986 Honda GW Aspencade 1200 they had for sale there. I just couldn't think of a way of rationally explaining it to my wife why I needed to buy it. If the dealer would have told me I could buy it for 2.5k, I would have happily rode it back to Florida, consequence be dam.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The Unicorn just needs the HD bar/shield added somewhere.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:

The Unicorn just needs the HD bar/shield added somewhere.

Yeah but if you did that it would start pissing everywhere you left it standing and for no good reason a leg or it's horn would fall off every 4 blocks.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

My sister did a similar thing to this. she had a 86 virago...bike was clean..needed a little carb work. we did a benefit ride this summer, and she saw all the other bikes there. she got what i call little bike syndrome. so we looked high and low for a bike to suit her wants...and all she could talk about was a harley. i begged her not to do it, but as it turns out, she bought a brand new soft-tail deluxe. its a beauty all right. but after she bought the bike, a harley jacket, harley boots, harley scarf, harley bandana,and harley chaps...i think over 17k was spent. then she added 1200 dollar saddle bags...harley of course.:wtf: this doesnt make any sense to me...its really boils down to, it doesnt matter what you ride, as long as your riding. its about the ride, the feeling of freedom, and the wind in your face. its not about advertising harley davidson, or about what looks good on a kick stand. these people i call posers. their idea of a ride is from bar to bar on some stupid fundraiser ride...which i will never do again. half way through the ride most of them are drunk and acting retarded. endangering themselves and other riders. 75 miles, and taking all damn day to do it? thats not riding...500 plus miles at least, in a days ride is where its at! and in the first sign of weather, these people leave em at home,because they dont want to get them dirty i guess. i just dont get the reasoning here...i bought my machine to ride. i got it in febuary this year, and have put 30k on it so far. most people i talk to dont get more than 2 to 3k on in a season. thats a shame. by the way, im not saying all harley owners are like this...but its easy to spot the ones who are. i could never buy a harley...i cant afford the wardrobe!!!! lol

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

It reminds me of guy I work with. He never rode before but his dad and his brother had the HD. He went out to the rider's course and went right out and bought himself a fatboy. With all this, he purchased every piece of hd clothes he could find. He took a perfectly good new leather jacket and aged in the firehouse by using a buffer and some other stuff.

I give him respect for riding a lot around town but he doesn't do the long rides. But I think a lot of hd stuff comes down to image. It isn't about the ride so much but I think it is not being the person who is a pariah or different.

Nothing wrong with being different, but I think it is easier with everyone using technology from the 1920's. Well that's my soapbox for today.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I think we can agree that HD sells more than just bikes. I'll stop there as to not to offen anyone . . . .

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I have a guy that comes to the hospital across the street from the Mall..We chat went he walks across the Skywalk, about Bikes, he owned an 2006 Ultra Classic, had about 80,000 miles on it just traded it in for a brand new Harley, not as fancy as his last one but still a nice looking Harley..He bought it a month ago and already has over 900 miles on it..BTW the day he came up there on it, it was only in the mid 50's....Jeans boots and his Harley jacket, and helmet....He says life is too short if you own a bike not to ride it...He is a cancer survivor..One day soon him and I are going to do some riding together, he's not "poser" but a real rider....

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Difference strokes for difference folks. . .

HD bikes has some appeal to me, but I always get a kick out of going in the HD stores and seeing it half filled with clothing. Looks like they want to sell the image just as hard as the bikes.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

ChaosandConfusion wrote:
Difference strokes for difference folks. . .

HD bikes has some appeal to me, but I always get a kick out of going in the HD stores and seeing it half filled with clothing. Looks like they want to sell the image just as hard as the bikes.
Hey, gotta have those over priced pirate costumes so that noise will recognize you.But you only have to have a $15 helmet.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

Myself, I dont have anything that says Honda or HD... I wear what works, not what portrays an image. Anyone who knows me knows that I ride the crap outta my bike...and I dont worry about what looks good on a kickstand, and I am not a riding bill-board sign for any company. I dont worry what people think of me or my bike....I ride for me, and no-one else. Its my way of feeling free of anything.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Someone - quick - buy this!! - The Harley people will have nothing on you!!!!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2733110455.html

Badsey Reverse Trike Powered by Honda Goldwing - $3500 (Riverside) [line] Date: 2011-12-02, 6:07PM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [sup][Errors when replying to ads?][/sup] [line]
Custom Trike built in 1983 by Bill Badsey known as the Badsey Fun Machine and is the only one built. Badsey was best known for the Badsey Bullit as seen on youtube. This trike was originally electric. I converted to gas by using a 1981 Goldwing GL1100 for power. the mileage was 8500. The front suspension is the same used on the Bullit. It has disc brakes and adjustable shocks. Currently the radio and turn signals don't work. The bike runs great. It has new front tires and new battery. It has current tags and clear title. Youtube video is http:youtu.be/xzajFvZ_eM or search "Badsey reverse trike" on youtube to see it run.
Call Rich 951-533-368six

I promise I won't make fun of you - for the first 30 seconds anyway. ;)

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

EEEWWWW thats ooogly!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.