Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

1988 GL1500 about 95k, always been a reliable bike.

been getting ready for a 5000 mile trip MN to CO to PCH to Oregon and back.

just had the bike serviced, carbs cleaned and thought I was good to go.

been riding the bike and noticed a hot oil smell occasionally. bike is not running hot (even tho it's been hot as hell here) no leaks or drips. checked and oil level is high -- will overfilled oil cause hot oil smell?

and ... today .. on the way iinto work bike quit like it was shut off. I actually thought I might have hit the kill switch. fussed with kill switch no go.

cranks fine, everything else eletrical works, but no ignition. fuse for ignition/cruise is not blown. swapped it with another to be sure. suggestions?

I was supposed to leave tomorrow and barring a miracle I might end up driving (ugh) this year.

I'm hoping someone out there can tell me the likely cause for these two issues.

thx in advance for any help.

Mark in MN

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Overfilled oil shouldn't cause problems. Are you sure the smell isn't burning electrics? The engine cutting out would make me think that. What about spark at the plugs, are you getting any?

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

If the bank angle sensor on your bike has never been replaced it could cause the bike to shut off when in a corner. Should start right up as soon as the key is turned on and off. Could also be a dirty on/off switch on the handlebar. Take it apart and spray contacts with contact cleaner. Oil smell is probabaly a leaking shifter seal letting oil get on the exhaust pipes.
My best guess from here.

Tom Bishop

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Given that it was just serviced, then that probably included an Oil Change... in which case, oil may have leaked onto the oil pan (causing the smell) during the draining and filter change... Perhaps take a look under the bike, and see if the pan is covered with an oil slick?

If the Bank Angle Sensor was replace by Honda, then there should be an "X" stamped on the frame, by the motor mount located next the foot pedal --(On mine it's hard to see, barely visuable scratch marks)

Check the Terminal Screws on your kill switch... they often loosen, yet appear connected.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Does your "Cruise ON" lamp light when the push on/off switch in in the ON position and the key is on? (this will show if the Kill Switch, BAS, IGN/Cruise relay, or power sources are suspect).

Do you have any tupperware off yet? (if not, the inner fairing right side would be my suggestion) -- From the land of 10,000 lakes (ok 10,000 corrosion and rust sources) you may have just discovered that the 12V supply to the coils are all fed with one pin in two separate connectors. If you pull the right inner fairing - you can check the connections at the ECU and at the coil-pack connector (4-pin white connector taped into the harness that heads toward the faring...).

by "everything else works" electrically - air pump? Horn? Turn signals? that Cruise On light? radio, etc??

Post up what you find...

(typos replaced with optional mispellings)

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

If carbs. where cleaned by a shop they might have disturbed some wiring or vac. hoses during the procedure.
I would return it to the shop while your labour warranty is still in effect " i think its 30 days " ., advise them that the problem occured immediately after the service and a check of there work is needed. Be polite but FIRM and dont take any B/S from them .

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I am about 99% certain that your problems were caused by having the bike serviced. The oil smell could be just spilled oil burning off the engine/exhaust. If it was overfilled, that was one mistake they made, so there are probably more. Overfilling the oil will cause oil to blow out the crankcase breather on most engines, but because the GW has a sealed system to collect that oil, it shouldn't allow oil to reach anything where it would burn. It should be easy to tell the difference between burning oil and burning electrics. They have distinctly different smells.

I am not familiar with the 1500, so I agree, take it back to the shop, or have them pick it up. I'm sure it will not be difficult to fix, unfortunately your biggest problem is lack of time. I've been in that situation too many times, so I know what it feels like. Any chance of postponing the trip even a day or two? Having to take a car really would be a shame.

I just got back from a week in Portland, BEAUTIFUL weather up there, but ran into a lot of rain. Of course I'm from Phoenix, so anything is better than here.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

As he is leaving tomorrow and has not made a reply i think he is takeing the car at this stage

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

everyone, thx for comments. I'm still hoping for a fix. dealer worked on it today but no call by 6 pm so still not fixed.

I'll delay the trip a day or even two if necessary but I REALLY need to be confident it's fixed as the 1st 1/2 of the trip is 2800 solo miles and I don't want to be stuck broke down in the middle of nowhere out of cellphone range with no back-up

Satan: thx for specifics, I'll print it out and pass it along to the mechanic Thur morn.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Best of luck with it. I'd sure hate to miss a motorcycle trip like that. Jerry.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

broken connection in the kill switch. hard to find. easy to fix.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Thats good news..Had one of my gremlins on the 1200 exactly what you discovered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.