Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went for a group ride today and all was fine with the bike until after lunch. Went to start it and idle was low and stumbling, acceleration was not smooth and jerky with flat spots.

Got it home and removed the plastic. Fuel valve OK, pump pressure and flow good. Both carbs for sure running lean with no noticeable vacuum leaks. I found this screw on the top of the engine by no. 5 cylinder. It wasn't there when I changed the oil a few weeks ago. I have run out of time today for any more work. I suspect it might be part of the problem, any one guess where it goes?

JD

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,758 Posts
imported post

That's not a carburetor screw. Looks more like a trim retention device to me. Use some carb cleaner and look for a loose gizmo or whatchamacallit.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I am not so sure Dennis. Put the mic to to it and it is a M3x.050. The picture makes it look larger. Well, when I get the time will let everybody know for sure.

I got to pull the carbs anyways to check the hoses under the mat. Seeing as how they are going on 25yrs. of age will be changing the float valves, slide diaphragms, accelerator pump and gaskets while in there.:) OEM of course.

JD

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

You may have just got some bad gas. Put some drygas(not sure if seafoam will work the same) in the tank to make sure you don't have some water in it. From my mechanic, he said that pulling carbs on a 1500 is a 6hr job. OUCH!!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

Is that the screw that holds the petcock to the overflow tray?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

RayJay1959 wrote:
You may have just got some bad gas. Put some drygas(not sure if seafoam will work the same) in the tank to make sure you don't have some water in it. From my mechanic, he said that pulling carbs on a 1500 is a 6hr job. OUCH!!
That is a good suggestion and one that I thought of also. It is odd both carbs should be showing the same symptoms. Before the final pull I was going to run the tank dry with the in tank pump and throw it in the car. Refill and run it one last time. I did top off with 3 gallons last night prior to the ride. I already did look at the fuel pumped out when testing the pump and no water. The accelerator pump is also not giving me a good squirt like it used to. The throttle has to be turned at least half way now to get a spritz. I will toss the dry gas in with the fresh, thanks for the reminder.

JD

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Jsalpha2 wrote:
Is that the screw that holds the petcock to the overflow tray?
No, just checked it is still tight.:cool:

JD

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

An update. Earlier this week the old gas was drained using the in tank pump. Put in some fresh, started up and it ran like a champ. No lean condition, accelerator pump squirting back to normal when cracking throttle open. Not sure about the gas being the problem though, could be coincidence.

Went to test again tonight, all running well. Until I noticed the fuel dripping on to the mat below the carbs. This was only when cold, stopped after about three minutes.
It appears to be coming from the lower rear of the left carb. With my mirror it looks like a plug is leaking. Not easy to see, very tight in that area. Oh well.

Here is a picture of the work in progress with the fuel pressure gauge on top.

JD

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

The screw looks a lot like the type used to hold the lower fairing on my '82, may be a mounting screw, it doesn't appear to be carb related to me.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

JD,

Can you possibly get a picture of where this is leaking?

I have massive fuel smells coming from my bike after a ride. it lingers for days and I can smell it some while riding. My petcock was weeping so I replaced it.

It didn't help. I have no obvious leaks up top and haven't removed the plastics yet to get down to the carbs. I know there are enough vac lines to strangle a dinosaur and I am not looking forward to it.

I am wondering if my problem might be similar to your new problem.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

JD,

Did you get a carb. kit? I used: http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro_detail-honda_gl1500_goldwing_premium_carb_kit_1988_1998-39-41.htm

It worked well and Igot it before I knew about Randakk (http://www.randakks.com/GL1500%20Page.htm#1 ), but then again Randakk does not have the jets in the kit. I used Randakk on my 77 and would buy from them again as the quality it supurb. My only issue with the kit I got was I wanted to use the 65s, but one of them snapped when I installed it so I used the 60s. That seemed to be the correct ones anyway. Also, the kit I got did not have the little cotter pins so I had to get those at the dealer.

Here is what I did/used: 60, 158, original year Pilot Air Screws 3 turns out.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/113651-1.html

It runs great and Iwould not make any changes if I had to do it again.

Bill

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
JD,

Can you possibly get a picture of where this is leaking?
I have massive fuel smells coming from my bike after a ride. it lingers for days and I can smell it some while riding. My petcock was weeping so I replaced it.
It didn't help. I have no obvious leaks up top and haven't removed the plastics yet to get down to the carbs. I know there are enough vac lines to strangle a dinosaur and I am not looking forward to it.
I am wondering if my problem might be similar to your new problem.

Tim.
Went out after work armed with mirror and blow gun to pinpoint the leak. Ran it for 20 minutes and it did not leak.:gunhead: No picture possible, can barely see it myself.

A couple questions Tim, How does the bike run? what is the fuel mileage? Does the tank have pressure when the cap is removed? Does it start right up cold or hot? Has anyone been in the carbs before? Any gas smell to the engine oil? OK That was more than a couple.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey JD,

First, I don't / didn't want to take away from your post. I don't mean to hijack your thread. Thanks for caring!

But, since you're asking....

1) No problem about no picture. I understand.

2) Bike runs well and strong. Gas mileage sucked but is getting better with Seafoam.

3) I modified my gas cap gasket so that there would not be a pressure or a vacuum. Tank pressure is the same as outside air pressure. It's always neutral. I have been down this road before with tank pressure issues with my 1100.

4) Starts great... not as good as my 1100 but acceptable. it does have to crank for a few seconds. Literarily, my 1100 starts in less than a second. I need only touch the button.

5) No idea about anyone in the carbs lately. I have to check into that. I do know who did the work on the bike for the last 5 years or so.

6) Engine oil I changed last week. Black Black Black... but no gas smell.

I used a crappy video scope last weekend to look up under the carbs. It looks like a small gas leak has been going on for a while. I think I am going to rip into it all this weekend if I don't get any calls. I am on call the next two weeks.

I will take a million pictures as usual. Going to bed... Just put in a 18 hour work day. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Tim.

PS... How are you making out with your little project??

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Running issues aside, the fuel tank system is designed to hold a slight pressure. Any opening to atmosphere will release fumes.

For my project, finding time to work on it is difficult during the week. The leak from yesterday appears to be around a chrome headed screw behind the throttle cable drum. That is as far as my peepers can get to.

This bike had the Service Bulletin work performed for the hesitation problem for the 88 model year. I have no hesitation problems with it. Just the lean condition from the other day and now the fuel leak. This bike has not given any type of fuel smell previously. One thing that has been noticed is when the engine is running and vertical and then leaned over to the kick stand the engine varies just a little bit. Will take good note of float settings when disassembled. Still haven't completely ruled out the fuel pump yet

Anyways, got my brothers 1100 for the must do rides.

JD

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
JD,

Did you get a carb. kit? I used: http://www.siriusconinc.com/pro_detail-honda_gl1500_goldwing_premium_carb_kit_1988_1998-39-41.htm

It worked well and Igot it before I knew about Randakk (http://www.randakks.com/GL1500%20Page.htm#1 ), but then again Randakk does not have the jets in the kit. I used Randakk on my 77 and would buy from them again as the quality it supurb. My only issue with the kit I got was I wanted to use the 65s, but one of them snapped when I installed it so I used the 60s. That seemed to be the correct ones anyway. Also, the kit I got did not have the little cotter pins so I had to get those at the dealer.

Here is what I did/used: 60, 158, original year Pilot Air Screws 3 turns out.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/113651-1.html

It runs great and Iwould not make any changes if I had to do it again.

Bill
Morning neighbor,

Yeah, I will go with the randakks kit and get the float valves locally. Am in the process of removing carbs now. I got a feeling the last guy put loctite on the throttle linkage screw to the carb body. It ain't budging. May need some more beefcake over here tomorrow. One to hold the carbs, the other to torque the snot out of the driver.:cool: Will be posting some more pics as we move along.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Yea, mine was stuck too, I just unhooked the cables....

Check to see what jets, as I wonder what the re-call used.

Take your time too!!

Bill

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Bill,

Everything is back together. Jets installed were the 55 and 155, 50 was OEM, this bike had the hesitation service work done when new. The job was not bad at all. New float valves, accelerator pump and gaskets installed. Floats set at 8mm, original setting seemed to be about 7mm. Bowls very clean. Everything under the mat looked good.

The hardest part of the job was getting the water pipes attached to the riser and the cotter pins in the linkages, had to use a magnify glass.

Pilot screws ended up about 2 turns out and the slightly lean condition of the one carb is gone. Bike is running super great.

BTW The Randakks kit came with an EMGO fuel filter and it went straight into the trash.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Mine had the 55 as well, but had no other eveidence of having any of the updates done. My floats were correct, and I set the screws at 3. Also, I was shocked on how clean mine were inside after all the bikes I had that were yonger and nasty.

Glad to hear its better.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.