Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My wheels are filthy,and it is embarrassing! I've tried mothers aluminum polish, but it is taking forever. What do you folks use to do the tough cleaning? This is the first deep cleaning that I've had time to do since I bought it, and the wheels are driving me insane.:stumped::stumped: What will do the best job in the least amount of time?:baffled:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

A lot of elbow grease. I just gave up on my back wheel altogether. Bought a spare wheel for 125 dollars from a guy who buids trikes and I switch out wheels every year to give the one that was on the bike a good cleaning. Hard to clean when on the bike.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

By the way I do like mothers aluminum polish. seems to work the best.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

I've been using my Dremel with abrasive finishing buffs, but I see from their website that they have discontinued them. :(
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/RetiredProducts.aspx

One of their other attachments would probably do a good job too, but the size of the buffs compared to the brush wheels made it easy to cover more ground more quickly.

John

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

# 0000 grade steel wool and wd40. You can get the steel wool from the paint dept at the lumber store. You know....... the steel wool you use on wood finishing.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

That is why mine are chromed. So much easier to keep clean.

·
Just one of the guys
4,814 Posts
imported post

I use the mother's polish and a small power ball in the cordless drill.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks so much to all of you for your input. I bought the bike last fall, and got necessary repairs and maintainence done over the early winter months. I did a quick clean-up in the spring just to get out on it. I've got some time off coming, and I'd like to get the details done to make it look it's best!

Thanks again. Chris

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I bought a set of chromed wheels and I'm switching over to ceramic pads as well to reduce brake dust. On the chrome, I use mothers. I got sick of the way my old wheels looked, especially since the PO did not take care of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.