Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
At least you were not riding, yes!

I have a real problem with folks who do not take responsibility for their actions. It was nice they picked it up, but at a MINIMUM they should have left a note. Depending on any damage, not doing so could be illegal and considered hit and run.

Perhaps they did leave a note and it blew away?
Probably not.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
No chance that the incident was caught on CCTV I guess? Might be worth checking out to see if there was camera footage of it?

I hope the damage turns out to be minimal. :praying:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
No chance that the incident was caught on CCTV I guess? Might be worth checking out to see if there was camera footage of it?

I hope the damage turns out to be minimal. :praying:

Don't have quite as much CCTV on this side of the pond. But the Government(s) are working on it to prop up our nanny society.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The incident occurred in front of a friend's house. The Wing was parked on the street, so no cameras. What was really odd to me was that they picked it up. We rode it home 700 miles after the incident.

Here is a list of the damages I see thus far:

* Two Scorpion helmets with mirrored shields. They were on the seat under the half cover. They probably would have been fine, but I suspect when the person took the side of the half cover off to lift the bike back up they did not know they were there, hence bouncing on the ground. The insurance has already told me the helmets are not covered as we were not wearing them when the incident happened.

* A brand new custom half cover that I had made specifically for this bike from Shady Products. This was a Christmas present from my wife and it took 3 months to get.

* The brake lever is bent. The brake now sometimes feels soft to me.

* The right mirror is scratched and wobbly now.

* There is a crack in the center of the dash in the thin strip of plastic above where the key is.

* I think the entire dash shifted over as the left side gap where the mirror meets the dash is all out of whack.

* There is a plastic piece under the right wind wing that cracked. I have no idea how the wind wing did not break???

* The highway peg on the right side is scratched up. It also impacted the valve cover and scratched the valve cover.

* The rear crash bar is scratched.

* The right saddle bag is scratched up from a bush.

* The right running lights on the saddle bag are cracked.

* The chrome trim on the saddle bag is scratched.

* Here is the weird one. I should post this in the technical area. We rode this bike 6000 miles before the incident. It was running very strong and we were pulling 32-40 MPGs fully loaded two up with our Bunkhouse in tow with the exception of one high mountain pass when we were going into a head wind uphill where we got 25 MPGs. From where we were in Colorado to Oklahoma City, it is all flat. We were getting 20-21 MPGs. We gassed up the night before we parked the bike and got 36 MPG out of that tank. The bike seems to stumble at idle almost like a Harley and the idle surges slightly. At times it sounds like it gives three distinct pops in the exhaust (they are quite, but there). I am curious as to what is causing this.

Anyway, the insurance asked me to get an estimate for the bike. I called and the dealer wants $200.00 just to write an estimate and will not be able to look at it for weeks. I asked the insurance to send an adjuster out and they said they would not have anyone in the area for quite some time. I am already getting frustrated as I am a year round rider and I do not have a car.

I'll keep you all updated.

Ed

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Any cover via your insurance company, for a loan bike while it is off the road. :?

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Please let us know who your insurance carrier is, so we can avoid them.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
That sucks. I had a truck hit in a parking lot once, destroyed the right front fender, right door, bent the back of the cab, even dented the bed. Nobody saw anything. I called the cops, they came out because it was a hit and run, which is a felony, took a report, and that's the last I ever heard about it. I've also had a couple of bikes hit in parking lots. Same thing. Nobody saw nothing. I no longer park anything of any value anywhere but in my garage. I use a beater bike and a beater car for leaving in parking lots. Very sad world we live in.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Yeah I wanna know who the insurance provider is too.

It sounds kind of unprofessional for them to leave you hanging like that.

Although I dropped Progressive, they did send an adjuster out pretty quick and were eager to take all the details of the claim. I dropped them because they raised the premium to more than I pay for three cars and a pick up truck.

I now have Dairyland for what seems to be a fair price.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...Here is the weird one. I should post this in the technical area. We rode this bike 6000 miles before the incident. It was running very strong and we were pulling 32-40 MPGs fully loaded two up with our Bunkhouse in tow with the exception of one high mountain pass when we were going into a head wind uphill where we got 25 MPGs. From where we were in Colorado to Oklahoma City, it is all flat. We were getting 20-21 MPGs. We gassed up the night before we parked the bike and got 36 MPG out of that tank. The bike seems to stumble at idle almost like a Harley and the idle surges slightly. At times it sounds like it gives three distinct pops in the exhaust (they are quite, but there). I am curious as to what is causing this....
> Perhaps the Exhaust Headers are loose, on the side the bike fell over to... Check the Chrome Nuts that hold the headers to the engine block, verifying that they are snug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.