Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I was on the internet tonite looking for lodgeing in myrtle beach.Ocean front condos,hotels,time share units what have you and all state NO MOTORCYCLES.3 years ago wife and I went to Myrtle beach for the week on the wing and we stayed at a condo on the beach that we stayed at other years with the wing ,no problem.But now We can't stay there or find anything on the ocean front that allows MC on premises....:X I wonder who's to blame for this...Bike week?? for sure..

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

I think I recall reading somewhere that they were trying to put a stop to bike week, I guess that is what they mean to do.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Yep,,,,,, it was posted here not too long ago and I just read it in one of my buddies "Hog Magazine"

Guess things got out of hand, so now everyone suffers.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

While the city doesn't oppose individual bikers private enterprises may have taken the concept a step further.

The condos may be an option as they can't stop an owner from use of his property (Including renting it out)without a change in condo corporation bylaws. If successful in finding a place to sleep you could be banned from eateries and shopping parking.

It might not be worth the fight. I don't go on vacation to argue with my hosts.

I suspect that the hotels and restaurants are afraid of the spill over from adjacent cities that will likely be getting the bike rallies.

The Right to have loud pipes crowds seems to have ignored the right to havepeace and quite crowds.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Just short and quick... Myrtle Beach was the "WORST" bike rally I ever attended.... Let the golfer have it!

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

Never been myself but I seem to recall hearing a biker years ago say he would never go agian and began to complain about the spring breakers. I thought it was kinda funny this biker complaining about the collage kids.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I didn't think public business had the right to refuse customers? What happened to freedom as long as laws aren't broken? Won't be going to Myrtle Beach anyway; prefer the mountains, cool air and plants.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

What is a public business? Government run? Yes, the post office can't refuse customers because of the vehicle they choose to utilize.

A restaurant is a private business. As such, they have the right to refuse to provide service to anyone they don't care to do business with, just like you have the right not to spend your hard-earned money at that business. That's the other end of freedom - it works both ways.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
imported post

I got a right too. Haven't seen Myrtle Beach and not likely to ever see it.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I'm with Dubswing,,,,,,, Mountains and country. Never been attracted to any beaches. Not the tourist trap types anyway. And thats the only type I've seen. Wasn't really impressed. Now I wouldn't mind seeing some of those coastlines some of the members have posted pics of.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

chris in va wrote:
They cancelled Bike Week. Locals got tired of all the craziness.
Bike Week has not been cancelled. The city of Mrytle Beach was never the official sponsor and never will be. So, they can't cancel something they have never sponsored.

Most of the official events never took place in Mrytle Beach anyways.

http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/

Just for the record, never been, never will. :shock::shock::shock::shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Bike week, that is.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I'm not a rally guy myself, always beenmore of a lone rider. But I think the Loud Pipe People are at the root of this...... more and more municipalities are banning bikes outright, mainly because of the noise. Nuisance factor, you see....... The Loud Pipersdemands for their unlimited freedom, freedomto be loud, to be rowdy, to be some kind of obnoxious, well.... it's resulted in less freedom for all of us.

And so it goes.....

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

We never have any problems in Myrtle Beach. Will be there today. Off to Florence, then on to the Beach, and through town and back up the coastal roads, and home. A nice 400 plus mile ride.

As some of you suspect some of it is the loud pipe crowd. My daughter goes to college in Charleston and I have many times ran down to see her on the bike. A couple years ago I was turned away at a parking garage as far as parking. The reason given was loud pipes. Bikes running the covered parking garages and setting off car alarms and in general just being a pain. I would find Nicole and we would take a walk to someplace like the Mellow Mushroom to eat and a couple bikes would go by with those straight drag pipes and they make even myself try to dive under a car or something. Some of the bikes are very extremely loud. So they just restricted all bikes , none will park in any covered parking garage.

The world has become bigger, more people, in fact in areas like Myrtle Beach and Fort Myers Florida, it may take you two hours to drive 20 miles. It is a booming tourist industry and there is no shortage of people to patronize the local businesses and to keep the economy afloat. Lots of people in these places.

Many things effect the modern persons view of motorcycles. Most tourists and towns people who run the small business, (and big ones) are just that, modern people, neat, clean, well dressed, and really not too adventure minded. A vacation or good time to them is a nice hotel, good parking, and a fancy store to shop in, and a nice place to eat.
Tourists have money, and they spend it, and loud pipes and bikers in Wanna Be Hells Angel attire, quite simply are a pain in every way you can imagine. An aspect of things that are just really like trash on the street, the viewpoint is to just not tolerate it any longer. There is no need to , why should they? Bikers of this type bring no good to the area, only a few businesses cater to them, and they have become so high priced even the wanna bee's never patronize them.

Everyone tiptoes around one of the under lying things about this whole deal too. A whole lot of the situation with Myrtle Beach is Racism. This is the deep south, and Racism is still very much alive and well. I know this very well as my wife has a situation where she stayed out in the sun too long and as many time as we have tried to scrub here she is still a little dark . :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:.
Anyway Black Bike Week came to town. The ripped up and down the main strip, did wheelies up and down the streets, (sport bike nonsense) Had parties on the street, took over parking lots and had more parties in those. Southern people have no tolerance for this kind of thing from Blacks. No matter how you want to slice it or dice it , that is a major factor in the whole thing.
As a family we have been through many things in the public schools, and in life simply because of Racism in the south. But when you put it all into public view, and push it down peoples throats and if a group that brings to the surface many simmering racial issues also becomes obnoxious and conduct business that drives wanted business out of town, then you get the results that have been obtained.
There was also a shooting on the street, right during the Black Bike Week, that also acted as a catalyst for the situation.

So it is a combination of many things, none of them viewed as a good thing by the local people. It is not just any one factor.

They will get kicked out of the neighboring communities this year too. They do not learn, they all get together and protest, with their loud pipes and stubborn attitudes, so it is just a matter of time. Their presence along the whole Beach Community is short lived.

As for the Rally's themselves. They are doing themselves in also. Prices and all the things that go with them have became totally beyond the reach of the average person who rides a motorcycle. Everyone from the county, to the people who rent the buildings and property to the Rally organizers to the organizers to the vendors have became so high priced, that during this slow economy, bikers cannot afford to participate so those are short lived too.

The bottom line is if you go there and act like a responsible person, smile, and if you are the typical Winger, you will never have a problem.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

As Kit said, if you go there and act responsibly you will not have a problem.

I cannot blame the citizens of Myrtle Beach for these new rules. You would have to walk even a short distance in their shoes to understand.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
imported post

Kit,
I had a business interest in Myrtle Beach and spoke with one of my locations in depth one day.
Apparently Myrtle beach is trying to bring back family values to the area.
The different bike weeks come in and many of the businesses lose out. Bikers (no matter the color) came to town and spent money on lodging, food and beer only. They made alot of noise and caused alot of disruption. In alot of cases they caused damage and brought on a sense of alarm to many.
Traffic congestion brought the area to a standstill during those times and even had those who were hurt or killed due to motorcycle accidents that brought on rumors and conjecture that put MYB in a bad light.
The theme of Myrtle Beach changed and that is what they are trying to change back to.
It doesnt help that they have or had a impatient mayor who did not like the paint scheme on a bike he was behind and he (nudged) the bike while stopped at a light.
The same goes for Joe Riley and the City of Charleston. Joe doesnt want bikes down there since he is too cheap to put in proper parking tools and bikes are able to skirt around the gates in the parking garages. or maybe it's because he is a deaf old fart and the rumble of the harleys is the only thing he can hear anymore. or it could be because the buildings downtown are so old and easy to fall apart from the noise. Joe actually has better things to deal with than a noisy biker, like Black on Black crime and crime in general, but this is a easy target or so he thinks.

Don't get me wrong, what you are saying is all too true down here, but race isn't the only reason.

As I have said before - Good Ol' Boy politics is alive and well down here.

Ain't it wonderful living in Paradise........

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
We never have any problems in Myrtle Beach. Will be there today. Off to Florence, then on to the Beach, and through town and back up the coastal roads, and home. A nice 400 plus mile ride.

As some of you suspect some of it is the loud pipe crowd. My daughter goes to college in Charleston and I have many times ran down to see her on the bike. A couple years ago I was turned away at a parking garage as far as parking. The reason given was loud pipes. Bikes running the covered parking garages and setting off car alarms and in general just being a pain. I would find Nicole and we would take a walk to someplace like the Mellow Mushroom to eat and a couple bikes would go by with those straight drag pipes and they make even myself try to dive under a car or something. Some of the bikes are very extremely loud. So they just restricted all bikes , none will park in any covered parking garage.

The world has become bigger, more people, in fact in areas like Myrtle Beach and Fort Myers Florida, it may take you two hours to drive 20 miles. It is a booming tourist industry and there is no shortage of people to patronize the local businesses and to keep the economy afloat. Lots of people in these places.

Many things effect the modern persons view of motorcycles. Most tourists and towns people who run the small business, (and big ones) are just that, modern people, neat, clean, well dressed, and really not too adventure minded. A vacation or good time to them is a nice hotel, good parking, and a fancy store to shop in, and a nice place to eat.
Tourists have money, and they spend it, and loud pipes and bikers in Wanna Be Hells Angel attire, quite simply are a pain in every way you can imagine. An aspect of things that are just really like trash on the street, the viewpoint is to just not tolerate it any longer. There is no need to , why should they? Bikers of this type bring no good to the area, only a few businesses cater to them, and they have become so high priced even the wanna bee's never patronize them.

Everyone tiptoes around one of the under lying things about this whole deal too. A whole lot of the situation with Myrtle Beach is Racism. This is the deep south, and Racism is still very much alive and well. I know this very well as my wife has a situation where she stayed out in the sun too long and as many time as we have tried to scrub here she is still a little dark . :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:.
Anyway Black Bike Week came to town. The ripped up and down the main strip, did wheelies up and down the streets, (sport bike nonsense) Had parties on the street, took over parking lots and had more parties in those. Southern people have no tolerance for this kind of thing from Blacks. No matter how you want to slice it or dice it , that is a major factor in the whole thing.
As a family we have been through many things in the public schools, and in life simply because of Racism in the south. But when you put it all into public view, and push it down peoples throats and if a group that brings to the surface many simmering racial issues also becomes obnoxious and conduct business that drives wanted business out of town, then you get the results that have been obtained.
There was also a shooting on the street, right during the Black Bike Week, that also acted as a catalyst for the situation.

So it is a combination of many things, none of them viewed as a good thing by the local people. It is not just any one factor.

They will get kicked out of the neighboring communities this year too. They do not learn, they all get together and protest, with their loud pipes and stubborn attitudes, so it is just a matter of time. Their presence along the whole Beach Community is short lived.

As for the Rally's themselves. They are doing themselves in also. Prices and all the things that go with them have became totally beyond the reach of the average person who rides a motorcycle. Everyone from the county, to the people who rent the buildings and property to the Rally organizers to the organizers to the vendors have became so high priced, that during this slow economy, bikers cannot afford to participate so those are short lived too.

The bottom line is if you go there and act like a responsible person, smile, and if you are the typical Winger, you will never have a problem.

Kit
Thanks for your insight Kit. The problem that I have is Where can you find lodgeing with parking?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Lodging with Parking. You could try calling the Sleep Inn, Waccamaw Pines, that one is about 6 miles from city center.

Motel 8 might be a good one.

Within the actual city of Myrtle beach finding a hotel that will still cater to bikers may be quite a challenge. But do you really want to stay there? The prices for a room are very, very , very high priced.

Along the grandstand, or maybe Surfside Beach, or one of the small towns coming into Myrtle beach would be a great choice.

Prices within and on the Beach in Myrtle Beach are exceptionally high priced. I am not really familiar with those that still do accept motorcycle parking as once I see the price of the room, my mind just shuts it down. If I was going to vacation there and stay in a hotel, I would for sure pick a small town close, but out of the mainstream of things.

For example the Holiday Inn Express, the one on the Beach, a room for one day is over $230 dollars. Or you can stay just outside of town for like $70 dollars a night.

If you have never seen Myrtle Beach, it is hard to explain, it is wall to wall people, the beaches are like an ant hill swarming with ants. Any one of the other beaches, offer the same ocean, the same beach type, all that kind of thing.

Not much to do there, but see the beach, the ocean, or go golfing, the entire southeastern coast of south carolina is geared for golfers. Many of the very pretty older plantations you cannot even gain access to anymore unless you are a member of a country club with a golf card. It has became a place for the elite and the rich.

The city of Charleston, South Carolina offers a lot to do and see, for a family or family vacation. A lot so see and do in Charleston, and a much nicer place and setting. You can go for various boat rides, see the Fort, see the Aquarium, go fishing if you like, go to the large flea market called the market. Take a tour of the old city in horse drawn carriages........Lots to do in Charleston and not so crowded, still a lot of people, but not like Myrtle Beach.

Kit

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I understand, because of "loud pipe" noise issues, the only bikes to be allowed in Florida now are these models.......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.