Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was installing a wired FM modulator yesterday. While looking for a good place to install the unit I found an unused, female 2-pin connector coming off the wire harness under the right fairing pocket. I think that there may have been one under the left fairing pocket too. It only comes on when the key in completely turned on. Anyone know what this plugin was used for normally?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi J Black,

What color was the plug?

Tim

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Hi J Black,

What color was the plug?

Tim
Hi Tim -

I think it was green or brown (which also explains why i sometimes have one of each color sock on).

- Jerry

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

It's for the firing side running lights...
if you look at the fairing's side reflectors, there's a fitting to accept a #194 wedge-type twist-in bulb-holder...

They'll blink with your turn signals.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Anything here look familiar? This is the right side under the lockable glove compartment.

#1 - This green connector?

Disregard the brown plug into it. There should be a green into green here. I made a custom cable for the black box in the picture. See here for that detail...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/124674.html

The green connector goes to you amber side marker light. There is one on the left hand side as well. If they are not connected then you should not have a lit up amber light when the key is in and on.

#2 and #3 got to the solenoid vacuum stuff just off to the left of this picture (so I am told).

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

satan wrote:
if you look at the fairing's side reflectors, there's a fitting to accept a #194 wedge-type twist-in bulb-holder...

Hey Satan,

When I was testing wires (lots of mess from the PO) I tested this as well. During the signal light being on, there was a steady voltage on this connector. Mine don't blink at all.

I have a 91 Aspencade.

Do I have to rip into this again??? :whip::whip:

Tim.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Anything here look familiar? This is the right side under the lockable glove compartment.

#1 - This green connector?

Disregard the brown plug into it. There should be a green into green here. I made a custom cable for the black box in the picture. See here for that detail...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/124674.html

The green connector goes to you amber side marker light. There is one on the left hand side as well. If they are not connected then you should not have a lit up amber light when the key is in and on.

#2 and #3 got to the solenoid vacuum stuff just off to the left of this picture (so I am told).

Tim.
I'm not at the mc right now, but I think its #1. Definitely not #2 or #3, because its square.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
satan wrote:

Hey Satan,

When I was testing wires (lots of mess from the PO) I tested this as well. During the signal light being on, there was a steady voltage on this connector. Mine don't blink at all.

I have a 91 Aspencade.

Do I have to rip into this again???  :whip::whip:

Tim.

I'll need to double-check, but I believe mine is steady voltage too, no blinky.

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

You got to add an additional harness that also connects to turn signal to allow reflector light to blink. Otherwise it is steady on with turn of the key.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

satan wrote:
pwhoever wrote:
You got to add an additional harness that also connects to turn signal to allow reflector light to blink. Otherwise it is steady on with turn of the key.
Which lights are we talking about in the picture? Seems like those would be nice to have functional. Was that something that they put on SEs?

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Those connectors are for the running lights inside the indicators on fairing.

power is always on when ignition is on.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

jblack5 wrote:
Which lights are we talking about in the picture? Seems like those would be nice to have functional. Was that something that they put on SEs?
I am refering to your #2. I don't have any lights where your #1 is pointing.

I don't think I have ever noticed any lights up there on a 1500 before. Can you post a better picture of them? I am curious.

Thanks for the compliment about the GPS install. I try to keep everything as clean of an install as I can.

Tim.

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

It's an aftermarket kit for the SE, Aspencade, and the Interstate. None of them have lights. On the back side of those yellow reflectors is a rubber plug. Pull the plug and put THESE in:

Then if you want them to blink as well, then install THIS harness as well:

It's all plug and play. They have a similar harness that will allow the side aftermarket trunk lights to flash as well. It looks similar to the front harness but has different connectors. You can find that HERE:

You can never have enough lights to signal your turns or come on with the hazards.....

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Pwhoever,

THANKS!!

I had no idea that the side reflectors were not lights from the get go.

I have noticed though that my side reflectors on the trunk have those small rubber plugs in them (from when I set back my trunk). I knew that there must have been a model upgrade to get them. I will be converting all that stuff to LED at some point. Got to get a motor first.

Even though this is not my thread, thanks for the update!

Tim

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

i also had no lights on side fairing; side trunk lights and side bag lights; also no rear speakers. wife surprised me with them. she had ordered the kits from jc whitney. all i had to do is install and plug in on my 90 gl 1500.like they said,the more lights the better

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

In case you just want the light kit for the side trunk reflectors while you wait on doing the LED's, they have it as well HERE:

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Thanks Pwhoever,

You know, those kits are extremely well priced, especially the last bulb & wire harness. Imagine what Honda would sell those for? Certainly not 9 bucks a piece!!

Thanks again,

Tim.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.