Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:stumped: This little gem burned out today. It's the lower cowl cornering light bulb. It is stamped: H6M 12V 18/18W and they are bright! Well I can find the stock bulbs, but they look nothing like these. The closest ones were from PAIA, and the ones offered are alot more wattage than 18W. What's the hot setup for bulbs/ conversions? I guess these have been set up as driving lights and I have come to depend on them, so I need something close without a bunch of rewiring. Thanks for any help,jimsjinx

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62,977 Posts
imported post

My notes say it's a #88595B 18/18watt bulb and can be had at
chrischrome.com
If I'm wrong someone will correct me.. Give it a try.........

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

It has a dual filament and they can be reworked to use the second filament. There's a recent post somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I changed the sockets in my driving lights to 1156 sockets and then put in 13 watt Xenon LED's. They are quite bright and they give a very white light and hopefully I won't have to change them for years. I was replacing the other bulbs weekly. I picked the LED bulbs up on E-bay. Unfortunately I'm at work and cannot post the link (E-bay is blocked here). There is a seller there that sells a lot of LED bulbs and I have had really good experiences buying ftom him. I think his user name is jp_warden.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks everyone for the links! I'm all over it!! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

All vendors are showing the bulb as unavail. at present, exept Goldwing country. I ordered a couple but I am not sure if it is the same as the unavail. ones, as Goldwing Country has no picture. I would sugest anyone who has these driving/cornering lights, get a pair of bulbs, as it looks bleak in the very near future! Thanks, and I'll let you know if they are indeed the correct ones. Jim

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hey Tex! :cheeky1::cheeky1:, I know all about "Lucas" the prince of darkness is what all the MG and Triumph guys used to say! And pwhoever,...Yep, that's the one. I ordered 4 to have a spare set from GoldWing Country. I sure do thank you guys, the guy at NAPA looked like he'd seen a ghost when I showed it to him! The guy at Autozone, well, nuf said about that place! I have a hard time with getting the right part with Autozone.Great place to buy chemicals for the shop, but that's about it here in L.A. (lower Alabama).Thanks again.You 1500 owners with the "driving light" conversions better get some spares soon, I sense these will not be around long. Jim

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

its amazing what you can get off the shelf now. I know the cornering lights are a unique bulb, they are duel filament but only one side is used, because they have that tang on you cannot just reverse the bulb, we have used normal bulbs and modified them to fit. but was not using them as driving lights a such.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

:)Well, I got bored and decided to see if the burned out bulb could be rigged to use the second element, and it does work! I bridged the two solder points on the bottom of the base, and applied 12v there, and grounded the base.I wonder if the bulbs utilize both elements, or indeed use only one. I didn't put the bulb back into the housing yet to compare brightness. Just thought I'd tell everyone that it is easy to get that second element to work. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Cycle Max has them, they look different but believe its the same size and output. Had to replace mine 3 weeks ago.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

I'll have to take a look at my half used spare to see if there's a way to nip that little tang off or something to get it to work on thespare half.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

All I did was solder a tiny piece of wire(an old resistor lead) to both solder points on the bottom.That way you dont have to remove the tang. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

jimsjinx, as long as the first element is gone, thats fine but if you bridge over the two when both elements are intact, you will get double the wattage and could end up melting the unit, wires etc.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Everyone wants to be in the parts business. OEM Honda and Aftermarketeers. They just do not believe in using common standard items.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

You know Derek, you're right. I was thinking that if the two ends of the burned elements got bounced around and made momentary conact, that may cause some damage far more expensive than a new bulb, and even a conversion to "normal" bulbs. Good point. Jim

·
Gimpy
111 Posts
imported post

I also had the one element burn out. I took the wire connector off the housing and lifted the inner connector out of the socket just enough to rotate 180 degrees and put it back in the socket. Have been running on the second element for months now. No soldering required.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.