Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I pulled out the battery bracket on my '84 Aspencade to refurbish it I found a small black box dangling on wires behing the 30 amp fuse. The box is about 3/4 inch by 1-1/2 inch by 2-1/2 inches. There is a four conductor wire connector pluged directly into the body of this box. I didn't like the idea of this bouncing around in there so I used a nylon wire tie to attach it to the battery bracket. I haven't been able to find anything in the manual to tell me what this gizmo does.

When I pulled the bracket there was a bit of a rubber sleeve attached to a flange on it that appeared to be of no use and may have been whats left of a larger rubber mount that may have held the mystery box. It was located directly above the 30 amp fuse mount.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

The starter solinoid is in that general area, near the 30 amp fusable link. Also would appreciate a photo.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I will see what I can do this afternoon. I am headed out to change the oil.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I thought the starter solly was a round one on the 1200? You can check if it's the solenoid by holding a finger on it while you press the starter button. If you feel a click you will know it's the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I just saw that same thing today as I was putting in my wiring upgrade. It's not the starter solenoid, and all of the flasher relays are up on the front of the frame. Has a white molex connector on it. I'm thinking a sensor pack, possibly the tail-light out sensor. I suppose I could unplug it and see what doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
I just saw that same thing today as I was putting in my wiring upgrade. It's not the starter solenoid, and all of the flasher relays are up on the front of the frame. Has a white molex connector on it. I'm thinking a sensor pack, possibly the tail-light out sensor. I suppose I could unplug it and see what doesn't work.

Probably the surest way to find out , keep us informed.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
According to my Honda service Manual.It is the Brake Light Sensor,and its relay is right beside it .The turn signal relays are behind it on my 87A (just behing the gas tank)
I had a look at mine and I'd agree with Mr.1200. All the other relays are easy to ID so that odd one has to be the brake light sensor. :D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
You could unplug that box and see what no longer works on the bike, then you'd know for sure what it does.

Vic
Ohmigod, don't do that...

It's not the blue wire... it's the red wire... the blue wire goes to the detonator!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

The Clymer's manual shows the 30A fusible link connected to the short, heavy, red cable from Battery positive to the Starter Solenoid; this connection is internal to the starter solenoid/main fuse component. My 1984 GL1200Ihas a cylindrical metal cover on the starter solenoid part of the component and a swing out black plastic door for access to the main fuse part of the component.

2 very heavy leads for the starter solenoid; a 4 pin black connector containing 4 female spades: the 2 with #16 wires connect inside the component to the load side of the main fuse. 2 with #18 connect to the coil of the starter solenoid.

The 4 pin black connector housing plugging into the component was nicely melted at the 2 contacts supplying fused battery power to the bike by the #16 wires. I crunched the black plastic housing, saw that 2 female spades were carbonized, cut the wires, and installed 4 fully insulated terminals. I double crimped all terminals. I see improved charging, and more important to me, it starts instantly when warm now. I thought I wasstrandeda week ago; it cranked well but didn't fire.I think weak ignition due to low battery voltage during cranking.:?

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

for this:

2 very heavy leads for the starter solenoid; a 4 pin black connector containing 4 female spades: the 2 with #16 wires connect inside the component to the load side of the main fuse. 2 with #18 connect to the coil of the starter solenoid.

i am very grateful. i googled here and have the same trouble. only my assembly is a molten black lump and i was unable to determine the connections. this was enough to get it running.

thanks to the poster and google.
never imagine that what you post is worthless and unread, you'd be surprised....

richard williams

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Welcome, Richard. Hope to hear a bunch from your way. Lots of good useful info. Much more accurate, too, than a cpl. of those other sites.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.