Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 85 LTD is running like a champ but I have one nagging issue I've yet to resolve. Every time I ride my left toe gets wet with a little oil. I've looked all around the engine and all is clean and I just cannot find where the oil leak is. I have floorboards and my toe sits just outside of the forward part of the valve cover. No leak there, timing belt covers look clean too.Where is the dang oil coming from? My left boot now has a black toe which looks rather stupid actually. Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
imported post

Yep I'd say shifter seal

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Agreed.

Easy job on 1500 not sure on 1200 but expect it should not be too difficult.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The shaft area of the shifter is way behind my toe. How would it be possible for the oil to blow 6 inches forward without making a mess of the side of my boot? Jury's still out on this one....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

The shifter shaft is under the left head.

Do you have floorboards and heel/toe shifter?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Get black, oil treated boots. It won't show.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Get black, oil treated boots. It won't show.
:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Mine does it too, on both boots, but I did get the black oil treated boots so no one notices :smiler:. That said, if your absolutly positive there's no oil dripping from the bottoms of the valve covers or their bolts, I'd go for the shifter. If you have floor boards you probably have a heel toe shifter. The pivot for that is way behind your toe, but that just acts as a linkage to the actual shifter that is pretty far forward on the block under the head. My money's on the valve cover, but that and the shifter are just about the only things in that area that even can hit the feet when they leak. If it were the other side I'd say go after that dern cam sensor, that thing is impossible to get to seal.

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
imported post

Its you valve cover gasket mine did the same thing they are getting old and the rubber isn't as soft.You can get a new set or you can go the cheap route take them off and apply a small film of silicone gasket sealer and it should fix it until you get new ones.I took my valve covers off and polished them last year and broke the seal.When the bike started getting hot it liked alittle on top my shoe.Took it off cleaned the gasket and also checked it for cracks put the sealer and now good to go.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

+1 on the valve covers,checkand see if the bolts are loose,do not overtighten

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Upon closer examination I do think it is the valve cover. I found a few drips right at the gasket underneath. Sneaky little devils...Thanks for the tips guys!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Chrome vavle covers tend to leak at the seals more than the stock covers.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Oil dripped all over your shoes toe,
You peered and prodded, for days,in woe.

You found thatpesky oil Gremlin, thatdirty drip.
Off to the store hopefully takingjust one quick trip.

Gasketsseal it's contents from running into a pail.
Gasket Sealerinventedwheregaskets pronedto fail.

Gaskets poorly design or its placement a-skewed,
four tubes of sealer,overly smeared, and misused.

But no more oil, all over yourtoe,
Upon your Wing you shout; HOO-AHH,LET'S GO!

:action:SEAL-ON

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.