Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1996 GL1500A

This is an image of the air actuated right rear shock. The bushing indicated by the red arrow has hardened, started to crack and fall out piece by piece. I am guessing the Honda part number is the entire shock. (Cha-ching!)

Before I spend too much more time rummaging the shelves and opening boxes to mic parts at the local auto parts store. My questions is; Does anyone have a known fix?

I have been eyeballing various urethane sway bar end bushings... thinking, "I could make that fit."

Thanks a bunch for any direction or comments...

T

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
After looking things over I would go with 52484-MN5-003.I looked at other years and none of them list a part # so I would spend the few bucks and go with it. Sorry I couldn't be more help but it's what I would go with...Dave

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After looking things over I would go with 52484-MN5-003.I looked at other years and none of them list a part # so I would spend the few bucks and go with it. Sorry I couldn't be more help but it's what I would go with...Dave
Dave... can you offer any insight as to exactly "what" part this is? A diagram or a source for this part number?

T

·
Pwhoever
3,360 Posts
The only thing I could find was THIS THREAD and it has a link to another thread with info. It is a shame that they couldn't provide a replacement for that bushing... Another idea is to contact some local trike shops and see if they don't have a newer takeoff air shock. A while back I had an issue with mine (long story) but I found one that was taken off a 2000 with less than 100 miles on it. The guy charged me $25. Well worth it...

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Part #52484-MN5-003 is that top bushing labeled #5 in the picture. I am not sure that would work.
MIKE!

You're my huckleberry! Noted and logged...

I'm waiting to hear from Alex... or anyone else out there with options...

T

·
Premium Member
580 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simple enough to figure out if Part #5 would fit into the bottom opening. All it takes is a measuring tape. And removing a saddlebag if you haven't done it already.
And of course, having the complete technical specs of the said part or the part itself in hand... which is pretty much what I am trying to avoid. Ordering parts that may or may not fit.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
And of course, having the complete technical specs of the said part or the part itself in hand... which is pretty much what I am trying to avoid. Ordering parts that may or may not fit.
If only you had some sort of dial measuring device that could measure inside and outside diameters... ;)

Maybe you can get the right replacement bushing with the correct diameter, either inside or outside, and modify it to fit. I would assume at the school you teach at has a shop that can turn down a urethane bushing to the correct diameter.

Someone here should have a removed shock that can compare the upper and lower bushing to each other...

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
There is a thread on replacing it with a part off the car parts shelf, longer one that needs cut shorter but I couldn't find the thread. Might be in the reference and faqs section.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
If you can sketch one out and dimension it then get a bigger urethane bushing I can turn it up for you. Goldwinger special price.....free of charge except mailing costs for you. PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
12,884 Posts
I used a piece of PVC pipe . Umm thinking it was 1/2 inch . Seemed close OD had to drill the ID ( for the steel bushing to fit )

. At the time I didnt find anything else that was close in size . :(

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
It showing the top bushing the same as bottom.

·
Administrator
28,073 Posts
52489-461-771 is the part # for the lower bushing in 1100 and 1200s. I think it is the same thing in 1500s.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If only you had some sort of dial measuring device that could measure inside and outside diameters... ;)

Maybe you can get the right replacement bushing with the correct diameter, either inside or outside, and modify it to fit. I would assume at the school you teach at has a shop that can turn down a urethane bushing to the correct diameter.

Someone here should have a removed shock that can compare the upper and lower bushing to each other...
Raymond... I do have a dial micrometer... and the ability to modify... you know that! I am just fishing to see if someone has a known cure before I remove the part and start that process. You would be surprised how often this strategy works...

In many cases someone PM's me and says: "Hey dude... go buy Audi part #: Blah.blah,blah. That'll be a good fit!"

Just so happened this time one of our fine members had the exact part I needed and offered to send it too me for free. Which in my mind, is even better...

T

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
I think I still have a both the left and right shock from my 93 1500... I'll check the garage in the morning and see if the bushings are in them and post back... If you can't find anything else, let me know and we can deal!! Actually, I forgot I had them as they are tucked back in a cabinet in the rear of the garage behuind the cargo trailer that stands upright for storage... If you don't want them, I'll probably list them in the classifieds here... I had Progressive 416's on the 1500 when I traded it...

Les

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I still have a both the left and right shock from my 93 1500... I'll check the garage in the morning and see if the bushings are in them and post back... If you can't find anything else, let me know and we can deal!! Actually, I forgot I had them as they are tucked back in a cabinet in the rear of the garage behuind the cargo trailer that stands upright for storage... If you don't want them, I'll probably list them in the classifieds here... I had Progressive 416's on the 1500 when I traded it...

Les
Dayum-dude...

Don't you know you are "supposed" to take that sort of stuff off the bike first and sell it to some deserving member here?

Come the time, I have about 12 items I plan to shave off my bike and pass forward...

Unless I sell to a forum member. He'll get everything!

T

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Well, I did sell a "boat load" of stuff in the classifieds here that was removed form the 93 Aspy, but the shock and airbag got by me because they were tucked way back in a cabinet in the back of the garage... And I really wouldn't want to go thru the hassle of removing the 416's and reinstalling the stock shock and airbag - that was just too much work for too little return ;)

Les

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I had the same problem 2 years ago with my '99 1500 left shock. I took the left lower bolt out, and the metal bushing came out with it. It had fused to the bolt over the years. I had to make up a replacement bushing from thick tubing. That bushing is not sold anywhere that I could find. Unfortunately, I can't remember the dimensions and it's too cold to go out in the garage and dig around for the shock (I replaced both shocks with Progressive Air Shocks. That's also an alternative and I really like them.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.