Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the attendees that are coming from the N.E. & have to deal with Chicago. There are three main ways through Chicago. From the Indiana / Illinois state line to Galena, There is I294 to I90 to US20 = 190 miles, Or I294 to I88 to I39 to US20 = 204 miles, or I294 to I80 to I39 to US20 = 232 miles.Yesterday (Friday) I drove in using the I88 route & back out using the I90 route looking
for construction zones. I88 was clear of construction. I90 had 2 small zones around O'Hare airport. I don't know about the I80 construction? My suggestion would be to use the I88 route. Plan to hit the Indiana / Illinois state line from 11:00 to 1:00 central time & you should be able to cruse right through. Chicago is no different then any other big town except instead of maybe 20 mile to get through, the I88 route is 60 miles until you are out of town. All the expressways are 4 lanes so traffic move fairly good.

What ever you do, Be SAFE.

·
Just one of the guys
4,793 Posts
I am planning to take I80 all the way across to I39 then head north from there.

We will be bringing the toy hauler and I prefer to avoid city traffic if at all possible.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carl I've been looking at routes and I think I'm going to go through Peoria
and then north to Galena.

I74 takes you to the Quad Cities, 15 years ago when I was driving a big truck, The warehouse that I was attached to was in Maquoketa, Ia. I traveled US 61 from Quad Cities to the North. At that time, it was one of the roughest roads I have been on. Hopefully in the last 15 years then repaved it.

You might consider when you get to Bloomington/Normal to take I39 North to US 20.??

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am planning to take I80 all the way across to I39 then head north from there.

We will be bringing the toy hauler and I prefer to avoid city traffic if at all possible.

Doug, That will get you away from the city by the quickest route. Once you get through Joliet, It opens up nicely.

According to Illinois IDOT, it looks like there is roughly 18 miles of construction around Joliet. Here is a link top Illinois IDOT

http://idot.illinois.gov/travel-information/roadway-information/Work-Zones/index

·
Premium Member
12,056 Posts
I74 takes you to the Quad Cities, 15 years ago when I was driving a big truck, The warehouse that I was attached to was in Maquoketa, Ia. I traveled US 61 from Quad Cities to the North. At that time, it was one of the roughest roads I have been on. Hopefully in the last 15 years then repaved it.

You might consider when you get to Bloomington/Normal to take I39 North to US 20.??
Yeah that will work too! Thanks Carl.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Sounds exciting….think Ill go there after NASR

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Was on US61 North from the quad cities through Dubuque. All 4 lane in pretty good shape! Plan to check on the routes closer to the river next week, like IL78 through Burlington.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still wish I was able to attend, but being in middle of the week makes it not happening for me

You could take a half day on Thursday, Come up for dinner & the Auction which is the main event, then head home. It looks like it is roughly 170 miles.
You would then get to meet a great bunch of members.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just remember I294 and I88 are tollways. Make sure you have your e-z pass or lots of cash. IL doesn’t distinguish between cars and motorcycles. We all pay the same price. It may be more miles but I would recommend the I80 and I39 options. Usually less congestion and no tolls. Driving not bad just be extra vigilant of the no turn signal lane changes.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
I will never as long as I live go through that Shithole (new way to spell Chicago) again. We'll be going to the south spending our second night in Kankakee then across to 39 and north to Galena. On the way home, we're taking the Lake Express Ferry across Lake Michigan.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
I will never as long as I live go through that Shithole (new way to spell Chicago) again. We'll be going to the south spending our second night in Kankakee then across to 39 and north to Galena. On the way home, we're taking the Lake Express Ferry across Lake Michigan.

That's funny Bob, that's the new way to spell Muskegan too :laugh::laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts