Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

First, I ride the bike to work almost every day (40 miles one way) so I check the pressure over the weekend unless I feel something to indicate I may have a problem. I also do a visual check before every ride (especially the front tire). I know, I know, I should check the pressurebefore every ride but once a week works for me for my daily rider.

Got on the bike to ride home from work yesterday and during the ride home it felt like thefront end was just a little loose. I took it easy (40 miles) and checked the pressure when I got home and the rear was down to 16lbs. I then examined the tread and found a nail right in the middle of the tread (slow leak). Took the cage to work today and will address the nail problem tonight.

The run flat car tire on the rear did its job nicely in my opinion and there's still lots of tread so a plug will be just fine.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

I ran a plug in my brand new tire last year for 13000 miles before it started leaking at the plug. My tire was ready to be replaced when it started leaking. You'll be fine with a plug in the rear tire.
Don't you just love nails and screws laying in the road.:X:whip:

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Running a plug I believe falls under each to his own.Some will say don't do it some will say it's fine just run it. You will have to ask yourself do you feel safe running with a plug.
I would only use a plug to get home or to a place I could purchase a new tire.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Halfling wrote:
Got on the bike to ride home from work yesterday and during the ride home it felt like thefront end was just a little loose. I took it easy (40 miles) and checked the pressure when I got home and the rear was down to 16lbs. I then examined the tread and found a nail right in the middle of the tread (slow leak). Took the cage to work today and will address the nail problem tonight.

The run flat on the rear did its job nicely in my opinion and there's still lots of tread so a plug will be just fine.
Interesting.
Does your ride have nail hazards?

[line]
Few years back I stopped at a bar for lunch (they're known for good burgers) and someone with a cordless nailgun shot a nail in my rear tire. Lucky me it went flat just blocks from home. When I took the nail out I noticed it was not run over, not a mark on it. That nail was perfectly straight and the shank was pristine.
Road hazard nails will enter a tire relatively straight in, this nail was near perpendicular to the tire.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I'm glad you are OK John!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
imported post

Since you have an 18 and rear wheels removes so easily ,were it mine , I might break it down and put a patch inside .

I like my :Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems by Doran I know the air is at a safe level just a look at the TPMS panel .

but either way , yea I'd repair it and keep on riding .

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I ran a plug in the rear tire for about 4-5,000 miles. Just keep an eye on it a little more often John.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

First, Im glad you noticed it before it got any worse.

Can you plug a run flat like any other tire?? What makes it a run flat?? Is there goop inside that seals (somewhat) the puncture on the inside??

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
imported post

While I'm not crazy about running on a plugged tire on the bike, most places(around here) use the "patch-plug" type. They double as a patch on the inside that has a plug part that pulls through the hole. Sort of the best of both worlds. The tire has to be broken down, but is an absolutely safe repair and worth the little bit extra cost. Of course you only get flats on nearly new tires....

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
First, Im glad you noticed it before it got any worse.

Can you plug a run flat like any other tire?? What makes it a run flat?? Is there goop inside that seals (somewhat) the puncture on the inside??
No goop in a run-flat (also called ZP or Zero Pressure), just pretty strong sidewalls I guess. I run a 195/60R16 Kuhmo run-flat on mine. I let the air out of it and rode around the block. You can tell there is something wrong in handling but the tire did not break loose from the rim. Just had to know.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Yep, had a real hard time trying to plug it last night so off it comes. I'll take it in and have a quality patch repair done from the inside. Of course I'll lose all my dyna beads in the process but I have more!

Now, I think I'll take that extra rear rim I have and have it fixed up with a new tire and keep it as a "ready spare" so that I won't have this down time in the future.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Bought my spare rim with a fairly new tire on it for $100.00 at a trike shop.

Rear wheels and final drives come a lot cheaper that way.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

Thanks John!!!!! I got to work this morning and checked the tires,couse some thing didn't feel right... Found your screw in the rear tire,dam you can throw a long way... RUNFLAT proved it works zero air and just felt a little off. I'll plug it to night.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Marcus Bacon wrote:
Thanks John!!!!! I got to work this morning and checked the tires,couse some thing didn't feel right... Found your screw in the rear tire,dam you can throw a long way... RUNFLAT proved it works zero air and just felt a little off. I'll plug it to night.
Glad to be of assistance Marcus!
:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.