Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I cracked up my faring this week transporting my bike. I'm going to make an attempt at fixing it but if it doesn't look good I'm considering turning my bike into a naked wing.

I've had the saddle bags and trunk off for some time now.

If anyone could give me some advice on how to move the faring and how to attach a headlight and blinker assembly I would appreciate it.

If anybody out there that has any parts that would make the job easier... let me know.

Thanks,

Alex

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

You will need a headlight bucket and turn signals.....I have a bucket, I will have to see what kind of shape it is in, I know I do not have the ring for it.....

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

You are going to need whats called the "ears '...these have the turn signals attached but they are rare as hens teeth to find complete, alot of folks broke the signals off or removed them for some reason ,
Make sure you get the little plastic shims that go inside or they will be loose., but if not you can fabricate something.
If all you can find is ones without the signals then get them anyway and attach a set of aftermarket signals.
Buckets are easier to find ...... Contact Frenchy at the Crescent Moon,,,,,,,,he may can help.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

Ps I have seen the ears recently on ebay .

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

All out Alex wrote:
I cracked up my faring this week transporting my bike. I'm going to make an attempt at fixing it but if it doesn't look good I'm considering turning my bike into a naked wing.

I've had the saddle bags and trunk off for some time now.

If anyone could give me some advice on how to move the faring <snipped>
Thanks,

Alex
Removing the fairing is easy.

#1 - Remove the bolts from the lowers, bend back the ears closest to the engine, now the lowers should come off.

#2 - There is a horizontal ledge (both sides now exposed since lowers have been removed) the fairing sits on with 2 bolts on each side of the fairing. Take the nuts off these bolts. Best to have someone in front of the bike when you do this in case the fairing decides to tip forward.

#3 - Check your wiring - on the left side of the fairing interior (lower front part of thefaux tank)should be a harness you need to unplug.

#4 - Fairing should now be able to be completely removed from the front of the bike.

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I always suggest getting yourself a shop manual , that will help you for years to come.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

As well as these you will need the bottom yoke "Honda" badge. Now they are rare! Attached by two screws into the bottom yoke that covers the brake line splitter. The head light on standard gl1100 also have two reflectors that attach to the bolts at the sides of the head light dish.

This is assuming you are going for original look. If not you could try a Bates headlight or similar custom light off a custom Honda.

the ears also have a guide for the brake lines which is a little weak so if you see some check for that.

Looking at mine they are not a difficult fabrication job. essentially just a tube and triangle. You may like to give that some thought if you know a friendly welder. The Honda ones are very prone to rust.

I will make some enquires with Honda breakers in uk to find out availability here. With the dollar pound rate it may be worth it.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Right here they are. www.davidsilverspares.co.uk They are $66.31 each side. He has 8 of each in stock. Shipping to US no problem. Also has headlight assembley complete. Try a call first as he does stock second hand sometimes.

I use this shop a lot and have had no problems and they are exellent with free advise.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

Alex, I just bought a fairing and will be removing all these items you need, if you have a little patience (couple of weeks) I can sell you everything you need. I will take 50.00 plus shipping for all. When I remove them I will take a couple of pics so you decide whether you are interested or not.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Knucklebucket wrote:
Alex, I just bought a fairing and will be removing all these items you need, if you have a little patience (couple of weeks) I can sell you everything you need. I will take 50.00 plus shipping for all. When I remove them I will take a couple of pics so you decide whether you are interested or not.
Great offer so long as they are not rusted up junk;) Trying to find those pieces parts can be very expensive and frustrating.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

goldtop wrote:
Right here they are. http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk They are $66.31 each side. He has 8 of each in stock. Shipping to US no problem. Also has headlight assembley complete. Try a call first as he does stock second hand sometimes.

I use this shop a lot and have had no problems and they are exellent with free advise.
Hey great site for getting parts for classic goldwings! I was amazed at how much they have... thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

make the most of that pound dollar we have for years so it's about time the tables were turned. It also struck me that the mirrors would be an issue but I couldn't guess if yours had handle bar mount points.

On the Honda badge front I had a thought. If your that way inclined you could fabricate one from stainless. It can then be made to your taste.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Happy to endorse goldtop's suggestion of David Silvers, I have bought from them before and they are very good. Also they are probably the biggest independant distributor of Honda parts in the UK and often have stuff they don't even list. :)

Thee are a pair fo those "ears going through ebay UK right now if anyone is needing some. They are brand new and were at about £23 each last time I looked yesteday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.