Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have been using NAPA PS1358 oil filters on my 97' 1500 SE for a few years now and the Canadian price has been increasing yearly. I just bought a couple of them at $14.49 CDN each !

What is the price at US NAPA stores ? Does anyone have a comparable filter option at a better price ?

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I just checked the pricing on NAPA's website here in PA. This is the pricing I got-$9.71 ea.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
K-Mart has Purolator Classic's for $3.49 and Walmart 3.27.
L14459 is almost as good of specs as a Pure One. It is larger dia. and shorter than the L14610 but does fit.

K-Mart also has the Pure One's for around $5.49.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just be careful with filters. They have to meet minimum specs, but some are better then others. Napa filters are made by Wix so I assume the PS, which is Power Sport, will have the same specs as the regular automotive filters, which is what fits the application.

Purolator, Fram, etc...all have more than one "line" of filters, meaning more money means better quality. You buy a 3 dollar filter that is what it is. The same filter with a different prefix on the number for 5 will get you a better filter with better options.

I checked both Wix and Purolator and the only specs besides dimensions that I can find to compare is the relief valve. Wix opens at 8 psi, purolator at 14-18. So I have no idea as to micron or what have you.

Wix only sells a "premium" filter which means that if it has there name it is their top of the line. They do make others but not with their name on the packaging.

I've sold both, used second line Fram on my own truck and haven't had an issue, but just a reminder of that sometimes you do get what you pay for.

I checked and the price that was paid at Napa is in line with what I would sell at the store I work at.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks everyone for your input. I like the NAPA filter so next time I go South will stock up with a bunch of them at $10 instead of $14.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Purolator has info on their website and on the box their filters are sold in.
Supertech was a bargain when Wally had them for under $2 and tested very well.
Purolator Pure ONE is reasonable at $5.49 Read about it in the link GLester provided.

GLester has provided a very good link with a LOT of info if you have the time to read it. Click on the link and look at TABLE 1 and TABLE 5 - Those filters will fit the 1500.
*Look at what is recommended and NOT recommended...

Then look down the left side and click on: ALL ABOUT FILTERS.

Also click on FILTER SURGERY to see what is inside various filters.

Very interesting when I found that link a couple of years ago.
Read it carefully.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been using the EMGO oil filters, I think I bought 5 for about $25. There very solid and seem to exceed the manufacturer specs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where do you find that the Fram PH6017A can be replaced by the Purolator L14610? The cross reference I found shows the Purolator ML16817 to be the equal. Thanx....

·
Premium Member
1,630 Posts
For a few dollars more I will stick with Honda filters. If something goes wrong with an after market filter and it ends up doing damage to your motor try and get them to cover it.
As Stacy says the important thing is the relief valve opening PSI. Just because it fits doesn't mean it will work.
Manufacturers can and will always say YOU USED A PART THAT IS NOT MAKE SPECIALLY FOR YOUR VEHICLE SO IT IS NOT COVERED.
I know the chances of this are small but so is getting hit by lighting, and that happens also.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,696 Posts
Lopeha and I just split up a full case of Wix manufactured filters with the NAPA Gold label on them.
I am not the least bit concerned with your fear of non mother Honda filters.
If it is a brand name filter, mother Honda cannot deny the claim.

Wix has made, and probably still does make, the Honda branded filters.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I use the Purolator Pure One PL14610 for the Gl1500, as well. I also use Pure One in my cars and trucks. I have about 13,000 miles on the GL1500 with no apparent issues. They seem well regarded, so I use them in the other vehicles, again, with no issues. I'm also one of those crazy synthetic oil guys. After much reading, I became a believer in the virtues of synthetic, specifically, Mobil 1 Motorcycle 10-40.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.